Voices: Funding religious schools

Voices: Funding religious schools

There are 7 comments on the The Toronto Star story from Jul 24, 2007, titled Voices: Funding religious schools. In it, The Toronto Star reports that:

We asked you whether you think Ontario taxpayers should fund all faith-based schools. via The Toronto Star

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Toronto Star.

Laurie

Elgin, IL

#1 Aug 19, 2007
Yes, the government should pay for all faith based schools, or none at all. Since the government already funds secular schools, which some might say promotes the religion of atheism, and Catholic schools are funded, why is there no funding for protestant christian schools? We all pay our taxes after all. Why should parents have to pay $11,000.00 a year to send their children to protestant christian schools while the Catholic and secular schools are basically free?
jeff

Edmonton, Canada

#2 Jan 4, 2008
atheism is not a religion. it is the absence of religion and not faith based.

separation of church and state is fundamental in this arguement. i feel that all faith based schools should be funded privately ... it is the right of any family to send thier children there if they choose. why should the secular humanists in our society have to pay for someone elses religous experience?

a standard education should be available to all citizens in our society ... if you want to teach religion to your kids,... do it on sunday at church, at home, or pay for private schooling.

“Problem with me? Bring it!”

Since: Jan 08

Kingston, Ontario

#3 Feb 2, 2008
Well, I live here, and I go to a Catholic School.

Yes, you may not be a fayth that has it's own private school, but taxpayers are giving kids of a Religon an opportunity to go further in Life. So, yes I think Religious based schools should be funded.

Since: Feb 08

Ontario

#4 Feb 2, 2008
Catholic schools are funded in the province of Ontario for a very fundamental reason..back before there was private schools the nuns ran the schools..As part of that agreement with the government they secured a written obligation from the government that the government would always fund them...The government has a legal obligation to fund seperate schools..The other religious sects do not have that..And i dont know that the government could afford to fund them all. But if a person belives in it strongly enough they can always make it an election issue.

Kingston, Ontario

#5 Feb 3, 2008
Sorry for the spam.

Why is your ISP location Kingston,......mine always changes.....that stinks :(.

Since: Feb 08

Ontario

#6 Feb 3, 2008
Am on Cogeco

Kingston, Ontario

#7 Feb 3, 2008
I use Bell.

Stupid Bell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Collingwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Good tunes just a short drive from Toronto (Aug '14) Aug '14 Kijiji ad scams r... 1
News MacPherson Builders Releases Final Homes of Cur... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Erin 1
Deadbeat "Dad" in Collingwood (Feb '14) Feb '14 YourArmchairPsych... 2
News Rona closing four GTA stores (Jul '13) Dec '13 Arosa 2
News Recovery uncertain for remains of three Canadia... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Ron 1
News Collingwood town officials face OPP probe (Mar '13) Mar '13 smelled there sin... 1
News Collingwood homes evacuated because of landslid... (Mar '12) Feb '13 WTF 2
More from around the web