Banging on the door of poverty

May 16, 2012 Full story: Canmore Leader

It means sometimes working 70-plus hours a week and sometimes working only four at minimum wage but university graduate Melanie Guest said hard work, good friends and some luck has allowed her and her family to survive in Canmore.

Full Story
cathy harrop

Banff, Canada

#1 May 22, 2012
Hi Melanie....Social Issues forum will be June 11, 7-9 pm for all Town Council and Mayoral Candidates. Sponsored by CAUSE Canada. Place of forum will be announced shortly. Please let everyone that you think might be interested know. Cheers, Cathy
beverley brown

Thornhill, Canada

#2 Jun 12, 2012
Canmore needs to do more to house people who make minimum wage in town. Rent control and rent ceilings would help, and the town could implement these immediately!

Why not make Canmore affordable for the people who live there, work there, and are looking for work there?
Michelle

Airdrie, Canada

#5 Jul 30, 2012
Sometimes it's just not financially feasible to live in a particular place. For instance, I'd love to live in Whistler but I know I'd never be able to do so, nor would I be able to afford a home there. Life is about choices. Tourist towns like Canmore and Banff and Whistler and Tofino and Saltspring Island, they are naturally more expensive and one has to consider this prior to living there. To me that should be simply "doing one's homework" and pretty much common sense. Perhaps people are moving there because of the beauty (understandable) and scenic location but not first doing their homework to look at employment options, the cost of housing (both to buy and to rent), etc. Can't blame the town of Canmore for that.
paul shykora ARTs

Calgary, Canada

#6 Aug 13, 2012
..BUT You's CAN LIVE dHere...(+)....Joe Vatile..thinking...Jack Canfield....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Canmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Downtown area put under the microscope Sep 3 a bit early for snow 1
Canmore restaurants dealing with staff shortage Aug '14 PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
'I had no spirit left:' Albertans reflect on th... Jun '14 Kevin 1
A timeline of the year since flooding in southe... Jun '14 mess 1
Brother of former Olympic skier Podivinsky dies... (Feb '14) Feb '14 over the hill 1
Charges stayed in alleged Canmore time share fr... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Samantha Freeman 1
Amanda Lindhout returns from Somalia to share h... (Sep '13) Sep '13 chottomatte 1
•••

Canmore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••