Police college finalists named

Police college finalists named

There are 39 comments on the The Calgary Herald story from Jul 15, 2006, titled Police college finalists named. In it, The Calgary Herald reports that:

Just four rural communities remain in the running to become home to Alberta's police college, having beaten out some big-city contenders.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Calgary Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Saffra Keohane

Edmonton, Canada

#1 Jul 17, 2006
So wonderful to hear that there is going to be a new RCMP college! Congrats to all the finalists!

I must admit though, that as honorable as it would be to see the new college in any town, my vote goes to Fort MacLeod! Always has felt like a natural place to admire the RCMP.

But, I am disappointed to see Lac La Biche in the finalists. Though Leo Johnston was a hero from that town, the council has brought so much shame on that town that it overshadows the heroic acts of its residents...it would be sad to see the new RCMP college go to lac la biche when even the mayor stands accused of improper acts...Lets see the college go to a town where there is honor and honesty, integrity and purity of administration! My cheers go for Fort Macleod...and if not there, anywhere but lac la biche!!
Anna Donchadda

Burnaby, Canada

#2 Jul 26, 2006
Fort Macleod deserves the college in so many ways. If awarded, to Macleod it will be good for all of southern Alberta. I agree with the other comments about Lac La Biche. Glad to see rural communities have the opportunity to share in the alberta advantage.
Rick Stoffer

Stony Plain, Canada

#3 Aug 1, 2006
I agree with the previous comments about Lac La Biche being one of the four finalists. I have been to this town quite often and don't believe it has the facilities to support this project.
I'm not sure we are informed enough on the criteria for the police college to actually have an opionion, but I don't believe that just because of a towns police history that it necessarily is the best choice.
I do believe that it should be a place that shows potential for the growth that this college will bring and I worry about the smaller towns that will not be prepared for this.
I have researched a little on each of the 4 finalists and my vote would go to Camrose. It has the most potential for this type of opportunity and I believe that their quality of life would be much greater for families of the staff that is required for this facility.
John Nicklin

Courtenay, Canada

#4 Aug 1, 2006
First, the new college proposed by the province of Alberta is not intended to train RCMP officers, that is done in Regina. The college is intended to train provincial police officers, municple constables and other peace officers.

As for Lac La Biche, its trials and tribulations with the previous council have been solved and are no worse than many other towns which did not hit the media. Lac La Biche is one of the oldest communities in the province and deserves a chance as much as any community in Alberta. As for facilities, the site recommended is serviced by a brand new water and sewer line, high capacity electrical and braodband internet. The site is also waterfront, offering a range of trainning and recreation options. All that and a very old NWMP (RCMP) presence dating back to the founding of the force. As for quality of life, people go to Lac La Biche for a year and spend 10, 20, 30 or 40 years there, what's so bad about that?
Jim Johnson

Canada

#5 Aug 2, 2006
The RCMP would not be using the college. It would be for city Police in Alberta.
Fort Macleod would be the best choice still though.
John Nicklin

Courtenay, Canada

#6 Aug 2, 2006
Well, its not just for city police, its for all police and peace officers in any community, including First Nations. Fort Mcleod is at the extreme south of the province, making access difficult for anyone north of Red Deer. Any of the other communities would offer better access.
Kelvin Smith

Lac La Biche, Canada

#7 Aug 10, 2006
Obviously you lead a sheltered life because had you actually done some research you would have identified that the college would not be located in Lac La Biche but actually near the town of plamondon.
Get a life.
Saffra Keohane wrote:
So wonderful to hear that there is going to be a new RCMP college! Congrats to all the finalists!
I must admit though, that as honorable as it would be to see the new college in any town, my vote goes to Fort MacLeod! Always has felt like a natural place to admire the RCMP.
But, I am disappointed to see Lac La Biche in the finalists. Though Leo Johnston was a hero from that town, the council has brought so much shame on that town that it overshadows the heroic acts of its residents...it would be sad to see the new RCMP college go to lac la biche when even the mayor stands accused of improper acts...Lets see the college go to a town where there is honor and honesty, integrity and purity of administration! My cheers go for Fort Macleod...and if not there, anywhere but lac la biche!!
John Nicklin

Courtenay, Canada

#8 Aug 10, 2006
The proposed site for the college is indeed 5 or 6 kilometers from Plamondon and some 17 k from Lac La Biche. Since Lac La Biche is the major centre, most people just use it as the location. This is natural since it was the town of Lac La Biche and Lakeland County along with Portage College that initiated the proposal.
Deb Hrynyk Ft McMurray

Edmonton, Canada

#9 Aug 11, 2006
Coming from a small rural area in Alberta I am very happy to see that Lac La Biche has been selected as one of the four finalist. I give credit to the people of this community as it shows that you do not have be from a large center to be recognized. I think it would be great for Northern Alberta to have a facility located in this area rather than everything always being in the south.
Spongebob Squarepants

Calgary, Canada

#10 Aug 16, 2006
Think operating costs my friends. Think Fort Macleod, where frequent chinooks and warmer winter temperatures will reduce building heating costs significantly and offer more outdoor training days in ice-free conditions. Long term operating costs are just as important as initial capital costs. Fort Macleod is still the hub of Alberta's wheel of highways. The NWMP chose the site for good reason - weather, climate and logistics. These are still the factorsthat favor Fort Macleod.
Bob the Builder

Lac La Biche, Canada

#11 Aug 18, 2006
It may be the hub, but it is still in the extreme southern part of the province, not close to any major centres other than Lethbridge and Calgary. The NWMP chose Ft. Macleod because of border incursions and unrest amoung the Aboriginal populations in the south, not becasue of its balmy weather.

Police officers will need to gain experience in working outside in all weather conditions.

The money saved from heating in the winter could just as easily be spent cooling the buildings in the summer.

Its really too bad that this project has pitted communities against each other.
Glad I dont live in llb

Edmonton, Canada

#12 Aug 25, 2006
Well....whatever you guys think, I still would hate to see the new facility go to Lac La Biche! Hate to disagree with you Mr. Nicklin, but Lac la Biche kept its mayor....he is still charged with theft and hasn't cleared his name. Have you read the Cuff report? The mayor was a big part of the problem...

We lost 4 brave RCMP....they deserve a college in a town that has a LEADER at its helm....sorry, but Lac La Biche has political problems that start...& end...with the mayor. Whoever gets the college should be a shining example of honesty. I could no more support the college in Lac la Biche than in an town/city where Dar Heatherington was a counsellor.

Sorry...My vote goes anywhere but Lac La Biche
Deb Hrynyk Ft McMurray

Edmonton, Canada

#13 Aug 26, 2006
To Glad I don't live in LLB:

Have you ever been to Lac La Biche - sounds like you have a personal issue with mayor. I find it very disturbing that you base your opinion of Lac La Biche based on one person - did you think about the thousands and thousands of other great people who work and live there and who are honest people. I sure would hope that the selection committee would not base their selection on the basis of one man. Like all communities - yes even in Edmonton there are people who bring negative opinions towards a city however very seldom do we ever focus on the many people who do good things for place that they call home. While you talk about the mayor and his actions I would really hope that instead you would talk about the young man that lost his life serving our country that came from Lac La Biche. As indicated earlier the proposed college is not in Lac La Biche but within the Lakeland area.
Percy Zawyrucha

Blackfalds, Canada

#14 Aug 27, 2006
Perhaps I'm a little biased because I've lived here for over 30 years but it is my humble opinion that Fort Macleod is the most ideal location for the new police college to be built.

Fort Macleod is a vibrant community of 3,000, located within easy sight of the Canadian Rockies. This town is a magnet for those who are seeking a relaxed rural life style, proximity to the Rocky Mountains, a strong sense of community, access to high speed internet and a short drive to Western Canada's corporate capital, Calgary. And of course, it's only an hour's drive to the scenic wonders of the Rocky Mountains!

The town boasts the best weather of the Prairie Provinces, including the highest number of sunlight hours in Canada. The Chinook conditions provide mild winters and cooling breezes in the summer.

Few places can transport visitors back in time like Fort Macleod. It's not difficult to see why while strolling through downtown, with attractions like the Empress, Alberta's oldest operating theatre and the Fort Museum, a former outpost of the NWMP, forerunners of the modern day Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Fort Macleod provides access to the world famous Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump. Golfers can also play the oldest golf course in Western Canada, situated amidst a landscape of foothills and grasslands.

Its location, 102 miles south of Calgary and 32 miles west of Lethbridge, makes Fort Macleod an easily reached oasis from the urban bustle of the cities.

A short drive southwest of Fort Macleod is Waterton National Park, with a reputation as one of the most stunningly beautiful parks in North America.

Families of the college students would love to be located here and enjoying the great Alberta 'southern' style of living. No question about it!
John Nicklin

Lac La Biche, Canada

#15 Aug 28, 2006
To Glad I don't live in LLB

Yes, I have read the Cuff report. The Minsiter of Municipal Affairs seems to be comfortable with the results of the council changes. As for the Mayor, innocent until PROVEN guilty is still paramount in our justice system, until a trial has been conducted, the mayor is innocent by definition. It may interst you to know that the person who employed the mayor at the time has charged others with the same offense, none of these charges have ever been proven.

Like others have said, the Police College site proposed by Lakeland County is not in Lac La Biche, it is closer to Plamondon. This anywhere but Lac La Biche campaign is damaging to all concerned, not just to LLB. The college is intended to be around for the next 100 years at least. In that time, any of the commuities could have councils or mayors that act in ways that damage their communities, would you have the Solicitor General move the college in such circumstances? Not likely.

The four communities were chosen because they offer sites that are suitable for the college. All four communities have decent, hard working populations, none deserve the crap that you are trying to pile on Lac La Biche. If you want to talk about relative merits, then say why your favoured community deserves to be chosen. Debate the facts, not the inuedos.
Glad I dont live in llb wrote:
Well....whatever you guys think, I still would hate to see the new facility go to Lac La Biche! Hate to disagree with you Mr. Nicklin, but Lac la Biche kept its mayor....he is still charged with theft and hasn't cleared his name. Have you read the Cuff report? The mayor was a big part of the problem...
We lost 4 brave RCMP....they deserve a college in a town that has a LEADER at its helm....sorry, but Lac La Biche has political problems that start...& end...with the mayor. Whoever gets the college should be a shining example of honesty. I could no more support the college in Lac la Biche than in an town/city where Dar Heatherington was a counsellor.
Sorry...My vote goes anywhere but Lac La Biche
John Nicklin

Lac La Biche, Canada

#16 Aug 30, 2006
Congratulations to Ft Macleod and to all the others who partook in the process.
Jim and Sharon Tilbe

Calgary, Canada

#17 Aug 30, 2006
Congratulations Fort Macleod for winning the competition and being awarded the Police College.
Fort Macleod, in my opinion is the logical location for this college.
I also hope that the town gets behind the over due reconstruction of the N.W.M.P Barracks. The Riders of the Plains have got this project started and need the support and cooperation of the Town of Fort Macleod and its councils.
Congratulations again - Jim & Sharon Tilbe
saffra

Edmonton, Canada

#18 Oct 7, 2006
Congrats to Fort MacLeod! I agree with all of the reasons given here for the college being located there! Although very south in the Province, the general history makes it a natural choice, especially with the musical ride held there.
I couldn't agree more with Percy above, when he mentions the walk downtown, and how you are transported back in time. It seems every business along the main strip has some legend or history with it.
With the milder weather, and the access to Calgary and Lethbridge, Fort MacLeod offers more to the students, staff and family of those who will be employed by the new college.
Again, congrats to Fort MacLeod! I am looking forward to seeing the college there on my next visit to southern alberta.
An interested observer

Edmonton, Canada

#19 Oct 24, 2006
To Kelvin from Boyle,

I appreciate your frustration with those who mistook the location of the police college finalists with one of the finalists as lac la biche, but perhaps you should direct your anger to all of the media who were so eager to earmark Lac La Biche as the centre for the police college...and there was comment from people in lac la biche about the college going up there...seems that even if it was to be Plamondon, lac la biche still garners the publicity....where was Plamondon on the issue? Silent! Perhaps you shouldn't be so bitter with those who disagreed with the college going to lac la biche...if Plamondon couldn't advertise their pride...& lac la biche did...maybe it's a good thing the college went to fort macleod...it isn't anyone's fault that Plamondon didn't advertise their role in geography...But it seems the reaction from people up your way is as sensitive about anyone else ...at least about the location being lac la biche!
Martine

Calgary, Canada

#20 Nov 7, 2006
It's too bad more people weren't just plain old happy that there will be more places to train police officers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camrose Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sunny Boy cereal (Jan '09) Apr '17 dude 17
Your Quality Wee d / Hashes & Meds in Camrose (Mar '17) Mar '17 Jason 2
Hookers in Camrose (Jan '15) Jan '17 Big guy 16
Cassie (Jan '17) Jan '17 Cheated on 1
help my daughter (Oct '15) Oct '15 Hubby of the moment 4
News Curfew is a good idea (Oct '06) Mar '15 dybacsv 203
News QuickList: Sobeys, Foodland, IGA, Safeway store... (Jun '14) Jun '14 IGA 1
More from around the web