Storm causes stage collapse at countr...

Storm causes stage collapse at country music festival in Canada...

There are 5 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 1, 2009, titled Storm causes stage collapse at country music festival in Canada.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

One person is dead and at least 19 are inujred after a storm whipped through an outdoor country music festival, causing a stage to collapse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Merv

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 2, 2009
Sympathies to the family of the person that died and here's hoping that all the injured recover quickly. I was raised around there and those sorts of powerful storms are quite rare. Seems that the local emergency crews responded well, though. Best wishes for all concerned.
American Stagehand

Bourbonnais, IL

#5 Aug 2, 2009
This should not happen ,now that we have live doppler weather capabilities.

You can see these storms develop for miles on radar,and on site you can see the clouds giving you at least 10-15 minute warning.

The promoters are always pushing to get the show in,while the crew wants to lower the rigging and secure things for saftey. If no one on this site pushed for such,then its a large bunch of idiots .

A Show can be made up. Killed people and a mangled Stage cost more MR Promoter!

Another thing, See all those Banners and Advertising you idiots hung from that Trussing , They may have sponsored the event,but they are the cause of the collapse.

The Vertical wind loads applied to the structure where probaly higher than the lifting capabilities after you apply 60 mph winds. Those banners are giant SAILS, anchors away !
Jean SmilingCoyote

United States

#6 Aug 2, 2009
We know perfectly well how to build permanent, enclosed buildings that will stand up to even an EF5 tornado. But there is the question, how do you build a temporary, skeletal stage such as this, which will stand up to the high winds of this storm event (at least long enough to allow evacuation)? Is it just to fasten all the parts together to create a Continuous Load Path, and not placing banners that will become sails? Or must more be done? This is a question for the experts, and I'm not one. I recall the massive stage erected last month in Wrigley Field for that concert series. High winds are more likely here than in Alberta.
Dave L Nashville TN

Nashville, TN

#7 Aug 2, 2009
I had a buddy on that stage who was out with Cosner, Sure hope hes ok. I'll know for sure tomorrow.. Meanwhile my prayers are with those who were injured and the family of the person who was killed.
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#9 Aug 4, 2009
..SAD...GOD Bless....karmic also???....eh....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camrose Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sunny Boy cereal (Jan '09) Apr '17 dude 17
Your Quality Wee d / Hashes & Meds in Camrose (Mar '17) Mar '17 Jason 2
Hookers in Camrose (Jan '15) Jan '17 Big guy 16
Cassie (Jan '17) Jan '17 Cheated on 1
help my daughter (Oct '15) Oct '15 Hubby of the moment 4
News Curfew is a good idea (Oct '06) Mar '15 dybacsv 203
News QuickList: Sobeys, Foodland, IGA, Safeway store... (Jun '14) Jun '14 IGA 1
More from around the web