Steve-O

Camrose, Canada

#41 Jul 25, 2012
This company does actually charge way more than their compitition. My hot water tank sprung a leak and I called the Gentlemen Plumbers. They charged 49.95 to come out (not unreasonable, I pay my mechanic to look at my car even if he doesnt fix anything I pay him to look at potential problems) However they do not tell you a price over the phone (I found out why). They told me once in my house that it would be $1298 plus the $49.95 plus gst to replace my 40 gal tank. This seemed really high to me so I started to phone other local companies who were all more then happy to tell me their price over the phone. The two quotes I got were 670 plus gst and 710 plus gst installed no hidden fees. Over 600 dollars difference. I was happy to pay my Gentleman Plumber 50 bucks to leave and hired a different plumber. Its a gimic to get in your house and have you pay way too much. They give all plumbers a bad name.
Rebecca

Red Deer, Canada

#42 Aug 15, 2012
Rick Maher wrote:
<quoted text>
I particularly liked the guy who got charged $710 for a sink and $501 for a faucet in this thread.
"This is for parts only...labour and materials were on top of this."
Must have been one heck of a sink and faucet for more than $1200 just in parts alone.
That's an out and out lie! 602 for the sink, 267 for the faucet and that is labor and parts! If you are going to try to make people look bad at least do it with a little honesty and cooth!2913
Rebecca

Red Deer, Canada

#43 Aug 15, 2012
Most of wha these first two people are saying are at best an out and out LIE! Have you SEEN the garantee that these guys offer?!?! It's insane! If they breathe the wrong way, it's free, if they smoke in the house (even if invited too)...it's free, if they curse...it's free, man if they don't wear the right things...you guessed it...it's free! They are %100 confident in their guys because they all have background checks and drug tests! Show me a company that can show you specs on that! For those of you whom believe they are over priced...please feel free to do some research and back your play! They are a typically priced company with higher then most expectations! If they screwed up as bad as the second guy said they did, believe there would have been a suit filed because....THAT TO IS IN THE CONTRACT that they provide EVERY customer to protect the interests of CUSTOMER! Give them a call, ask a few questions and then tell me I'm wrong...I dare you!
Rebecca

Red Deer, Canada

#44 Aug 15, 2012
Marie wrote:
<quoted text>
These people are not saying all plumbers are rip-off artists. Just this company in particular (Action Auger- Gentlemen Plumbers). And they are right. This company over-charges. Period. I called two other plumbers after I pd them $430 and they quoted $240 and $190 for the same job. And try to get a hold of them to complain? Not a chance. They have it all worked out so that you will never talk to anyone in charge. If gouging customers is the way you do business, then feel free to keep chattin' them up. I will recommend other companies to my friends and family.
Yeah and you get what you pay for...
Rebecca

Red Deer, Canada

#45 Aug 15, 2012
Jamie wrote:
I too am a plumber in calgary and I don't need to charge people for giving estimates to make money. I agree with many of the posts where tradesmen are entitled to make money for the years of training and thousands of dollars spent on overhead. I do not agree with the standard practices that I see taking place in the industry. Many of the service companies here use "flat rate" pricing and charge "dispatch fees", "travel fees" etc. that end up costing the customer a small fortune and pretty much guarantee the company makes money. These companies also pay their employees a commission for all of the material and products that they can sell. This ensures that the technician is going to try to find as many things in the customer's house to replace as possible in order to make money.
The reason that this method of operation bothers me is that when I go to a house after one of these companies has already been there, the customer is expecting me to rip them off before I enter the house.
Many companies like Action Auger are forced to operate under more than one name because they get so many complaints that they eventually start to suffer.
My suggestion to consumers is to avoid the companies that spend thousands of dollars every month on full page yellow pages ads and other forms of marketing and ask friends and family for e recommendations. Word of mouth is still the best form of advertising. Also, try to find companies that are willing to give FREE estimates.I consider the time spent doing estimates well spent as it how I get work.
Do some research before talking like you know something. First of all there is a one time travel fee it is not reoccuring and believe the description of travel and dispatch could not be called a 'small forturne'. As well this is not a estimate fee, it is simply what it's called, travel and dispatch...the girls in the office need to get payed as well as needing gas fees, or what, do you live in a part of Canada where gas is under $1.15? Believe the techs make absolutely NO commission on materials or on saving a life because they find a gas leak when the call was merely for a pressure relief valve, that's what the home inspections are for AND they are free. Home inspections are to make the customer aware of any issue forthwidth not to scam anyone for anything. Just out of curiousity, would you like to know if your heat exchangers were cracked? The techs are simply doing their jobs. The techs get paid by the hour as does most men in any trade. However, it really doesn't shock me to see a plumbing company slamming another plumbing company...but for the people who read this, you don't see any of Action Augers Tech's on here slandering anyone else's name, keep this in mind when you're looking for your next plumber!
John

Kalispell, MT

#46 Aug 16, 2012
Rebecca wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an out and out lie! 602 for the sink, 267 for the faucet and that is labor and parts! If you are going to try to make people look bad at least do it with a little honesty and cooth!2913
You sound like a crazy person...I am that guy and those were just the charges for parts...labor was extra.

I tried talking to someone about it and they just kept saying "oh no that's impossible..we have exact pricing".......maybe it was you on the other end of the phone.
Your credibility as a poster here is zero...with your ranting it's pretty obviously you have an interest in this shit hole company.
jesus h christ

Germany

#47 Sep 7, 2012
Rebecca wrote:
Most of wha these first two people are saying are at best an out and out LIE! Have you SEEN the garantee that these guys offer?!?! It's insane! If they breathe the wrong way, it's free, if they smoke in the house (even if invited too)...it's free, if they curse...it's free, man if they don't wear the right things...you guessed it...it's free! They are %100 confident in their guys because they all have background checks and drug tests! Show me a company that can show you specs on that! For those of you whom believe they are over priced...please feel free to do some research and back your play! They are a typically priced company with higher then most expectations! If they screwed up as bad as the second guy said they did, believe there would have been a suit filed because....THAT TO IS IN THE CONTT that they provide EVERY customer to protect the interests of CUSTOMER! Give them a call, ask a few questions and then tell me I'm wrong...I dare you!
When did $200 an hour plus double the cost of parts become typically priced?
Donna-Marie

Red Deer, Canada

#48 Sep 16, 2012
I have no problem paying a fair wage for qualified expert to do the job. I fully expect it. I DO object to being charged exorbitant amounts for a job. Is their overhead worth $500/hour? That is what they charged IF their cost for the water heater was $800 - which I doubt.

I recently called Gentleman Plumbers/Action Auger to replace a hot water tank in my home. Because I work out of town I had to get a friend to come to my house and let them in. I was expecting a bill of around $1000 for the tank. The bill was $1800. I had also asked them to check my furnace as it had started buzzing. They took the furnace apart and told me I needed a new furnace for $7000 or $8000 depending on the furnace I chose. They did not put the furnace back together and I was left without heat. A few weeks previously I had had my furnace cleaned and checked. The man who did the job did not find anything wrong with my furnace. He came back to check it after Gentleman Plumbers had been in and found the problem was the motor. He fixed the motor and put the furnace back together. It cost me $115 to replace the motor. He was so angry about what Gentleman Plumbers had done, he would not take payment for his labour. He has been working in the business for over 20 years and has a brother-in-law who has a plumbing business. He talked to his brother-in-law about the situation and his brother-in-law also felt I was grossly overcharged. Getting my furnace cleaned a couple of weeks ago was one of the best investments I could have made. It saved me $8000.
DGJ

Sherwood Park, Canada

#49 Sep 19, 2012
I just had them over to give a quote on installing a bathroom sink and toilet (I already purchased both, plus connections. Their quote for just labour was $900.00. I told them they were way off and that I could do better. They agreed (two men turned up, one was a trainee) that many people had told them the quotes were way out, their response was "we don't set the prices".
I called a local company (Home Depot) and their quote was $350.00 total for installation and removal of old fixtures.
To answer a previous statement, I purchased the fixtures with the intent of installing them myself, however my back just isn't up to the job and called it quits before it got any worse.
Unhappy

Calgary, Canada

#50 Oct 16, 2012
evilplumbers wrote:
Action Auger Canada Inc "The Gentlemen Plumbers" are in fact 3x more expensive than the average plumbers. They try to excuse their prices because of their so called "service". Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" charges every client for every call 49.95 just to come out, calling this a "dispatch & travel" fee. They tell you give you options for a solution and then let you know how much each option will be BEFORE they get started on the work right? Sounds all good right? Actually, Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" uses this tactic so they can get their foot in your door, since you already have to pay the 49.95 regardless if you get the work done or not, you don't really want to say no to the price because the plumber is already at your door to fix you up. The truth is, Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" are so ridiculously overpriced that they just hope you aren't aware of it. They also offer a senior discount of a whopping 5%! 5%?! That is definitely a joke! Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" claims to offer guaranteed quality service to back up their arm and a leg of prices, but on average they get about 5 complaints a day! Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" offer they're senior discount because usually seniors are the easiest to rip off. They come in all dressed up and polite, they put on this show, only to charge them so much money that the discount isn't even accounted for! The price to install a toilet usually varies from $80-$130 but Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" charges anywhere from $200-$300 dollars. Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" is out to get your money! Beware! Don't be fooled by the smiley faces and the attire or girls that answer your call. They claim to have 24/7 service but rarely ever come out at night! Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" is the last place you should ever get a plumbing job done!
I agree. I just had Action Augers come in & quote me 1300$ to replace 3 feet of hose as part of my in-ground heating. The idiot plumber didn't even find the leak. I had another plumber replace the hose for 152.25 and he found the correct leak spot after looking at it for 30 seconds.
foobar

Calgary, Canada

#51 Oct 17, 2012
You're out of your mind. I have never had a plumber charge me for looking at a problem.
Rebecca wrote:
<quoted text> Do some research before talking like you know something. First of all there is a one time travel fee it is not reoccuring and believe the description of travel and dispatch could not be called a 'small forturne'. As well this is not a estimate fee, it is simply what it's called, travel and dispatch...the girls in the office need to get payed as well as needing gas fees, or what, do you live in a part of Canada where gas is under $1.15? Believe the techs make absolutely NO commission on materials or on saving a life because they find a gas leak when the call was merely for a pressure relief valve, that's what the home inspections are for AND they are free. Home inspections are to make the customer aware of any issue forthwidth not to scam anyone for anything. Just out of curiousity, would you like to know if your heat exchangers were cracked? The techs are simply doing their jobs. The techs get paid by the hour as does most men in any trade. However, it really doesn't shock me to see a plumbing company slamming another plumbing company...but for the people who read this, you don't see any of Action Augers Tech's on here slandering anyone else's name, keep this in mind when you're looking for your next plumber!
plumber guy

Edmonton, Canada

#52 Oct 22, 2012
a drain auger is only 2700$ , just buy one and stop complaining about the smell of your short
housewife

Leduc, Canada

#53 Nov 1, 2012
I have no problem paying the $49.95 - because they told me over the phone that I will have to pay it. What bothers me is that when the technician came out we had to pay another $75 in his words "time spent on quote"- to me that is a rip off. Does anyone know if you have to pay that to other plumbers too? We are immigrants and new to Canada. This technician went home with $131.20 (GST included) in his pocket without doing any work :(
Archie

Calgary, Canada

#54 Nov 6, 2012
Celeste wrote:
I hired them to do a job that they said they could do which was disconnecting and draining appliances. I told them that me and my father could disconnect them no problem but I need experts in appliances so that no water leaks onto the hardwood. Two different people confirmed for me that they are the right people for the job. Well guess what...three of the appliances were not drained properly and the fridge line leaked all over my hardwood causing thousands in damage to my new hardwood. As well, they unplugged my fridge with food in it, were late showing up by two hours, and did not quote me a price until they knew that I had no choice. I will never hire a plumber who does not give me a quote until I get there again (I realize that this was my fault). I should have gotten their confirmation that they knew how to properly drain and disconnect appliances in writing rather than trusting the verbal word. AS well, they said money back guaranteed but did not give me a cent of the almost $600 that I gave them.
I also hired them for a simple job, because I don't have the physical to do my own. They charged me for coming out, they charged me to do the work. The apprentice had to go out to the truck twice to get the journeymen to show him how to do the work, he spilled water all over my brand new laminate, didn't remove the caulking around the toilet, broke up most of my flooring in my half-bath. The journeyman was called in again to show the apprentice how to piece the floor back together, then they told me to turn up the heat and put fans in there. I did and the very next day the spaces between the slats began turning black. They came back out for a travel fee and said that they couldn't do anything about it. Then just over the year almost to the day the wax seal which was the problem in the first place started leaking again. We called and the lady said that it was out of warranty. I will never deal with these crooks again.
pissed off

Edmonton, Canada

#55 Nov 19, 2012
i called these so called gentleman plumbers to come fix a sink in our home i had taken a day off work and waited for them they where suppose to be at my home by 10 am when the did not show up i called them back they said they could not get hear till the next day what annyoes me is the did not call me back to inform me i will not recommend them just on this area of there customer service is lacking poorly
bob

Airdrie, Canada

#56 Nov 22, 2012
The people who post here should go to the homestars link on the action auger website and post a review there. They have a great rating at homestars because if you read the reviews, it looks like the employees or owner wrote them. Compare the reviews posted here to the ones posted at homestars and I'm sure you will agree.
frannie

Edmonton, Canada

#57 Nov 30, 2012
Rebecca wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah and you get what you pay for...
You are nuts lady. How do you know she got what she paid for? What kind of an idiot statement is that?
Actionaugersucks

Edmonton, Canada

#58 Dec 5, 2012
Lol I used to work for these crooks. When we did quotes up they told us to double the price of parts and charge $200/hr. now that's a scam if I've ever seen one. Yes the warranties and guarantee is exceptional I will admit that. Definitely good on that but come on, 200 bucks an hr minimum isn't fair. I know even done jobs that worked out to 300 bucks an hr and if you have any morales you don't want to do that. If you want people to really hear about action auger post a review on home stars or google, that way at least maybe people will quit getting ripped off. Don't waste time ranting on here.
GP_are_out_for_Y OUR_money

Edmonton, Canada

#59 Dec 10, 2012
Our sewer system backed up into our basement and we called them out to "snake" the pipe. The guy spent 7 hours trying to get it through to the property line and after the 7 hours said that he couldn't do it and that it was going to cost us $12,000 (TWELVE THOUSAND) to fix. The guy said that our pipe had collapsed and that's how much it would cost to fix. The whole day he kept saying that it was the end of "plumbing" season and they weren't going to have many jobs over winter. Anyways when he left he said we couldn't use ANYTHING until we paid the $12,000. I was devestated and as a last option I called the city of Edmonton, told them what happened. They sent 2 guys out and within 1 hour they had fixed the problem. I called the "GENTLEMEN" plumbers out and told them not to come and that I wanted money back. The funniest part about it was that a week later they sent me the quote out-$12 000- YA RIGHT! NEVER again will I use them! I will dig an outhouse out before I call them.
Karpidm

Calgary, Canada

#60 Jan 11, 2013
evilplumbers wrote:
Action Auger Canada Inc "The Gentlemen Plumbers" are in fact 3x more expensive than the average plumbers. They try to excuse their prices because of their so called "service". Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" charges every client for every call 49.95 just to come out, calling this a "dispatch & travel" fee. They tell you give you options for a solution and then let you know how much each option will be BEFORE they get started on the work right? Sounds all good right? Actually, Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" uses this tactic so they can get their foot in your door, since you already have to pay the 49.95 regardless if you get the work done or not, you don't really want to say no to the price because the plumber is already at your door to fix you up. The truth is, Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" are so ridiculously overpriced that they just hope you aren't aware of it. They also offer a senior discount of a whopping 5%! 5%?! That is definitely a joke! Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" claims to offer guaranteed quality service to back up their arm and a leg of prices, but on average they get about 5 complaints a day! Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" offer they're senior discount because usually seniors are the easiest to rip off. They come in all dressed up and polite, they put on this show, only to charge them so much money that the discount isn't even accounted for! The price to install a toilet usually varies from $80-$130 but Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" charges anywhere from $200-$300 dollars. Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" is out to get your money! Beware! Don't be fooled by the smiley faces and the attire or girls that answer your call. They claim to have 24/7 service but rarely ever come out at night! Action Auger "The Gentlemen Plumbers" is the last place you should ever get a plumbing job done!
Cannot agree more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calgary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
minimum wage 22 hr jimboy 1
best forum Thu paul shykora arts 4
Neil Chandran Real or Fake (Dec '13) Wed scerwed 54
transexual child May 20 jimboy 1
News Alberta adds 12,000 jobs despite the oil bust -... May 19 paul shykora arts 2
Unidentified flying creature - bat like gargoyl... May 18 Curious 1
News Your long weekend playbook May 18 Civil Poster 1
More from around the web