bad granite countertops

Posted in the Calgary Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
nahsdee

Canada

#1 Aug 29, 2007
I would like to hear feedback from anyone who has had or heard of a bad granite counter install experience. Anything from poor measurement, bad seams, bad polish, caulking, service, guarantee etc.

I have looked up a couple of Calgary companies websites and one has a picture in their Gallery that shows a bad seam....bad choice to put in the gallery.

Please e-mail me with any information you do not wish to share in this forum.

Thank you. [email protected]
Chad

Martensville, Canada

#2 Jan 17, 2008
Are you looking to have granite done for your kitchen or ??? I live in Saskatoon and am willing to travel to install granite. I have some in stock but will have to get more as I'm running low. What color are you looking for. Let me know, very reasonably priced.

Thanks,
Chad
[email protected]
PAUL SHYKORA

Calgary, Canada

#3 Jan 21, 2008
BUYER BEWARE and AWARE.....
Dave

Calgary, Canada

#4 Jul 22, 2008
Just dont use granite direct......it takes forever and is wrong 1/2 the time......im not the only one either.....
Jen

Calgary, Canada

#5 Jul 22, 2008
yeah mee too Granite Direct has great prices but it took 4 months and the install was horrible.
Jen
Nancy

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#6 Aug 31, 2008
S & A granite in Sterling Heights MI TERRIBLE! I got taken, bad granite, bad intallation, the granite cracked in three places around cooktop,two months after install. They have no regard for their customers and hung up on me when I called to complain.
T Dereks

Calgary, Canada

#7 Sep 9, 2008
I had a bad experiance with Granite Gallery. I couldn't open my drawers because the countertop was installed too low. It took months for them to fix the problem!
peggy hall

Calgary, Canada

#8 Sep 14, 2008
Hmmm I liked Granite Gallery. They were very professional and on-time for my appointment. Its too bad that you didn't have the same experience!
Anne

Sturgeon County, Canada

#9 Sep 30, 2008
I Just had my kitchen countertops done by romeos tile in Fort Mcmurray excellent work and the seam is nearly invisible !!!
Pat Y

Calgary, Canada

#10 Oct 6, 2008
Avoid Dynamic Granite of Calgary. Poor workmanship, poor install, damaged new cabinets, then could not recognize cracks in granite, chipped edges, unleave granite at the seam, 1/8" seam that splite, a seam that was rought and uneven. Then would only offer to repair granite, repairs were a total crock, leveled the granite by using 10 - 15 popcycle sticks. Manager would not assume owenership of any of the mistakes made by employes. Use only installers that are BBB listed and members.
Crystal

Calgary, Canada

#11 Jan 26, 2009
For 'T Dereks'. I believe if there is a problem with the drawers and cupboards opening it is not the granite companies fault it is the cabinet makers fault but on the other hand it could be a small part the granite companies fault but it is more like a miss communication on both parts. I have had many many experiences with Granite Gallery and all of the people i spoke to about them had glowing reviews and they were really happy with there finished product. Hopefully you contacted them and let them know of your problem. They are really good with fixing things that aren't right. They take pride in there work and want it to be the best. That is why they cut polish and do the edges all by hand, they cont use the C&C machines like a lot of the other companies use. Hope everything works out and you are happy with your counter tops. Have a wonderful day!
Roberta

Calgary, Canada

#12 Feb 5, 2009
I absolutely LOVED Fine Line Granite in Calgary!
They helped me plan the design of our counters
and laser measured so it was a seamless fit.
The service was amazing and they delivered one week from measuring.
I would recomend them to anyone.
Ksmith

Airdrie, Canada

#13 Sep 13, 2009
I would recommend Conacher Custom Granite, they are just starting up and my friend recommended them to me, I guess the owner won a stanley cup with wayne gretzky in edmonton and he is there doing the measurements and installing (not gretzky), amazing job and it only took 2 weeks from measuring to installation
Ashlee

Calgary, Canada

#14 Oct 1, 2009
I had a horrible experience with Vaman in Calgary. They took forever and when they finally installed the counter, the seam was over a cm thick.
Sarah

Calgary, Canada

#15 Oct 30, 2009
Ashlee wrote:
I had a horrible experience with Vaman in Calgary. They took forever and when they finally installed the counter, the seam was over a cm thick.
I was thinking of using them. I have been without a kitchen for a few months now as I can't find granite that I like and the prices seem to keep going up. Has anyone used someone that they liked?
Dwayne

Calgary, Canada

#16 Nov 2, 2009
I also went with Fine Line Granite.
The service was fantastic. They provided us with
interior decorator consultation, and had owners onsite for laser templating. They also owner supervised the installation. THe personal accountability was something unique to any of the
other companies we researched. They also have a lifetime sealer...so their Granite is Maintenance Free.
I highly recomend them to anyone wanting a superior level of service and craftsmanship.
Kathy

Calgary, Canada

#17 Dec 1, 2009
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking of using them. I have been without a kitchen for a few months now as I can't find granite that I like and the prices seem to keep going up. Has anyone used someone that they liked?
I used a company by the name of Surface Solutions. It is a smaller sub-contractor (therefore offers great pricing) that works with a number of different granite shops. I was recommened by a friend to use them and I was very happy with the work that was done. If you are still looking u can contact the owner at [email protected]

Hope this helps!!:)
Amy Watts

Calgary, Canada

#18 Dec 9, 2009
As someone in the industry, what I would recommend doing is working with someone who provides CNC fabrication, Laser templating and a warranty on their sealant. Owner involvement is a major plus.
A subcontractor is good, so long as THEY are the ones providing the template and installation. Otherwise you are simply paying a middle man.
Shaun Wilkinson

Calgary, Canada

#19 Dec 9, 2009
I had a very negative experience with the Granite Shop in Calgary.
I found that because I had a small job needed doing, I was of no interrest. I have no problem paying more to work with a company who values every client no matter the scope of work.
I don't recommend them to anyone wanting to work with people who care about their clients.
Shaun Wilkinson

Calgary, Canada

#20 Dec 9, 2009
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
I highly recomend Fine Line Granite.
They provide a full service laser template, and installation and work with digital fabricators. So my poject didn't get lost in the shuffle, but was given the attention of that of a high volume builder from a fabrication standpoint. I was floured at how motivated and highly attentive they were. THe partners are a young group of enthusiastic people. Nice to see a young generation of people with so much ambition.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Calgary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Not 'old white guys' - Shriners to ride in Calg... 7 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 4
News 'We will find you': Red Deer RCMP target freque... 7 hr chugs are pos 1
News Stephen Harper to resign as MP to launch Calgar... 14 hr Harpos Bizarre 2
News Montreal mayor has 'no right to cast judgment' ... 14 hr No Trials for the... 1
News ASIRT investigating conduct of Calgary officers... 14 hr No Trials for the... 1
SUN MEDIA - Harpo always knew the score - 1-0 18 hr JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
News 'Alarm bells went off': Expert used in Anthony ... Sat perfect 3
More from around the web