Two Canadian Friends Build $672 Electric Car

There are 20 comments on the Jan 31, 2008, www.2solitudes.com story titled Two Canadian Friends Build $672 Electric Car. In it, www.2solitudes.com reports that:

What do you get when you cross a Geo Metro with an electric forklift, a golf cart, and a bunch of used batteries? You get a ridiculously inexpensive, home-built, street-legal electric car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.2solitudes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Auburn Hills, MI

#1 Jan 31, 2008
Back during the oil embargo of the 1970s, Popular Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated magazines would run articles about kit cars that would be very fuel-efficient. I wonder if any of the blueprints for those projects are still available, they might come in handy now.
Rezcnay

Auburn Hills, MI

#2 Jan 31, 2008
When can I get one?
always a catch

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2008
The gravity powered soap box derby cars get one million MPG.

Auburn Hills, MI

#5 Jan 31, 2008
always a catch wrote:
The gravity powered soap box derby cars get one million MPG.
But I hear there was a scandal with the derbies- it seems that some kids were trying to get an edge by eating beans the night before the contests! Hee hee!
always a catch

United States

#7 Jan 31, 2008
Mat wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell do tennis shoe sales have to do with an electric car? What a scammer.
Made you look ...!

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 31, 2008
david wrote:
hi,
it is really nice!
please check out more here
Quit spamming every thread on Topix, jerkoff.

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Jan 31, 2008
Sean1980 wrote:
Back during the oil embargo of the 1970s, Popular Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated magazines would run articles about kit cars that would be very fuel-efficient. I wonder if any of the blueprints for those projects are still available, they might come in handy now.
They were advertised in Popular Science, also. Sold as a kit, they would be fun to put together. Provided, of course, that the instructions were clearly written, and not translated from Chinese to English by some dude who only speaks Farsi...
Barb

United States

#10 Jan 31, 2008
That link is not for the electric buggy.
BUY FOREIGN CARS

United States

#11 Jan 31, 2008
watch out uaw.........

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#12 Jan 31, 2008
I'd be willing to pay double for the thing if it could get 2 or 3 times the range as well as power a heating system. Pretty good for an errand-mobile or a to-work-and-back ride.
Gary 201

Belleville, MI

#13 Jan 31, 2008
Back in the 80's one of my co-workers used a aircraft starter and stuck it in a opel. The result was a battery powered car. This was a popular conversion for frustrated Electricians...
I do not know if it was from popular mechanics or not.

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Jan 31, 2008
Cvvl wrote:
I'd be willing to pay double for the thing if it could get 2 or 3 times the range as well as power a heating system. Pretty good for an errand-mobile or a to-work-and-back ride.
Hey Cvvl, how goes the battle? I haven't been in the evolution debates much in the last week... I had to come up for air.
wlo Seattle

Jiaxing, China

#15 Jan 31, 2008
Gary 201 wrote:
Back in the 80's one of my co-workers used a aircraft starter and stuck it in a opel. The result was a battery powered car. This was a popular conversion for frustrated Electricians...
That idea dates earlier than the 80's. A/C electric starters were used as motors for a variety of vehicles. One was used to turn a prop on a small boat and it worked well albiet constant speed. Now A/C starters are too expensive I think.
wlo Seattle

Jiaxing, China

#16 Jan 31, 2008
A/C means "aircraft". Starters were used to turn over reciprocal engines.
jo fatala

New Haven, CT

#17 Jan 31, 2008
I just ride my bike(s).

Auburn Hills, MI

#18 Jan 31, 2008
Gary 201 wrote:
I recall that one of the plan sets used an aircraft starter, a couple of 8D heavy equipment batteries, and a 16 hp generator to keep the batteries charged. It also had an onboard plug-in charger. I always thought that using a solar cell on that design would help a bit as well, when an outlet was not available.

“Don't try to goad me...”

Since: Nov 07

... I'm a goadless heathen.

#19 Jan 31, 2008
Matt from Akron wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Cvvl, how goes the battle? I haven't been in the evolution debates much in the last week... I had to come up for air.
LOL, the debate has abated, as all do on Topix. What lingers are the after hours folks who have made enjoyable acquaintances and just pop back for chit-chat.

Just went through a roller-coaster on a thread discussing god's place in American politics.

Here's one for you...
"An old Jewish man is sitting on the steps to the synagogue looking absolutely despondent. His friend sees him and asks what's wrong. He says that his son went to visit Israel and came back a Christian.
The friend says 'Funny you should mention! The same thing happened to me!'. The old man asks what he did to deal with it, and the friend says,'Let's go inside and talk to the rabbi'. They go in, find the rabbi, relate their troubles, and the rabbi says,'Funny you should mention! The same thing happened to me!'.
The two men ask the rabbi what to do, and he suggests they pray to god for guidance. So all three start praying, telling god about their sons who went to Israel and returned Christian. They hear a booming voice from above,'Funny you should mention!'"
I agree

Pasadena, CA

#20 Jan 31, 2008
Watch out for the oil companies!

Take care,

G.

http://movies.zap2it.com/movies/movies/detail...

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Jan 31, 2008
Cvvl wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, the debate has abated, as all do on Topix. What lingers are the after hours folks who have made enjoyable acquaintances and just pop back for chit-chat.
Just went through a roller-coaster on a thread discussing god's place in American politics.
Here's one for you...
"An old Jewish man is sitting on the steps to the synagogue looking absolutely despondent. His friend sees him and asks what's wrong. He says that his son went to visit Israel and came back a Christian.
The friend says 'Funny you should mention! The same thing happened to me!'. The old man asks what he did to deal with it, and the friend says,'Let's go inside and talk to the rabbi'. They go in, find the rabbi, relate their troubles, and the rabbi says,'Funny you should mention! The same thing happened to me!'.
The two men ask the rabbi what to do, and he suggests they pray to god for guidance. So all three start praying, telling god about their sons who went to Israel and returned Christian. They hear a booming voice from above,'Funny you should mention!'"
Yeah, I saw you ran into 'The Crew'... gag. A bunch of idiots who have knighted themselves. A bunch of trolls who think they're troll hunters... ironic.
Good joke! One that can be appreciated by both evolutionists AND creationists... lol.

Auburn Hills, MI

#22 Jan 31, 2008
Matt from Akron wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I saw you ran into 'The Crew'... gag. A bunch of idiots who have knighted themselves. A bunch of trolls who think they're troll hunters... ironic.
Good joke! One that can be appreciated by both evolutionists AND creationists... lol.
Gee, Matt, "The Crew" sounds strangely familiar, in a nightmare sort of way...
lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brockville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cat lost in eastern Ontario in 2009 to reunite ... Mar 28 Tim 1
News Cat lost in eastern Ontario in 2009 to reunite ... Mar '15 Dot 1
News Yes, yes you can blame the long, crappy winter ... Mar '15 Zap 1
News Environment Canada issues weather advisory for ... Feb '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News Ottawa gas prices now among the lowest in Easte... Feb '15 USA GAS cheaper 2 1
News Book events from Dec. 13 Dec '14 dispatches from t... 1
News Book events from Nov. 29 Nov '14 CFUW Georgetown H... 1
More from around the web