Judging the judges

Apr 29, 2012 Full story: CNews 8

The Canadian judicial system is widely admired for its impartiality, thoroughness and clear separation from the government of the day.

Full Story
cate

Auburn, Canada

#1 May 3, 2012
It's impartial and thoroughly biased and also quite compassionate--as long as your a crook and not a victim.
Roy

Toronto, Canada

#2 May 3, 2012
armchairprophet

Oshawa, Canada

#3 May 7, 2012
"The Canadian judicial system is widely admired for its impartiality, thoroughness and clear separation from the government of the day."

Yeah? By Whom? Bleeding heart liberals that want to treat all criminals with hugs and a few kind words?
I guess it was thoroughness and impartiality that handed down a sentence of house arrest for a Manitoba native woman that murdered her child.

I guess it was thoroughness and impartialty that sentenced a Cambridge ON man to 3 years for murdering his girlfriend's 3 yr old.

I guess it was thoroughness and impartiality that decided to count time waiting to be sentenced as double time.

If this is an effective judicial system, I'd hate to see it if it was broken.
stueysplace

Lyndhurst, Canada

#4 May 4, 2013
According to recent (last 20 years) scientific evidence we do not have the mental ability to make conscious decisions about anything. All human activity is controlled by the subconscious, including this spiel. That said, no one can be held responsible for his or her actions and only psychiatric intervention can help change a persons subconscious. Therefore any judge who sends anyone to jail for any reason is himself or herself guilty of an offense and needs to be committed. There are advanced countries and aboriginal communities in Canada that subscribe to similar solutions. Only 3rd world countries like Canada and the US think prisons are the answer. Actually prisons are an abdication of responsibility. A method of punishing the monster while letting his creators go free.

Since: Jul 11

Waterloo

#5 May 5, 2013
stueysplace wrote:
According to recent (last 20 years) scientific evidence we do not have the mental ability to make conscious decisions about anything. All human activity is controlled by the subconscious, including this spiel.
Sources, please.
stueysplace

Lyndhurst, Canada

#6 May 5, 2013
Main source for PublicAnimalNo9
Book Subliminal by Leonard Mlodinow
Book The Drunkards Walk by Leonard Mlodinow
Both of these book document and elaborate on the studies of the scientific world related to the human mind. All human activity is based on only two criteria, survival and procreation. Of course the subconscious is not infallible.
He was interviewed on a Radio Australia program called All In The Mind in which he gave a summary.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/...
I personally am not new to this subject but it is a hobby with me. I'm one of those Bipolar idiots who have trouble thinking inside the box.
78 = 7 x 8 Sometimes it is just a matter of perspective as to whether of not something is true and the previous math equation is true.

Since: Jul 11

Waterloo

#7 May 5, 2013
stueysplace wrote:
Main source for PublicAnimalNo9
Book Subliminal by Leonard Mlodinow
Book The Drunkards Walk by Leonard Mlodinow
Both of these book document and elaborate on the studies of the scientific world related to the human mind. All human activity is based on only two criteria, survival and procreation. Of course the subconscious is not infallible.
He was interviewed on a Radio Australia program called All In The Mind in which he gave a summary.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/...
I personally am not new to this subject but it is a hobby with me. I'm one of those Bipolar idiots who have trouble thinking inside the box.
78 = 7 x 8 Sometimes it is just a matter of perspective as to whether of not something is true and the previous math equation is true.
So basically the concept of free will is bull? I am curious about one thing though. His parents were Holocaust survivors, I wonder if he would excuse Hitler for his actions since, according the theory, Hitler did not make those decisions consciously. Either that or he truly believed the Jews were a threat to society, based on the aforementioned criterion of survival.

If I am correctly interpreting what has been said, this sounds like another way for people to avoid personal responsibility for their actions and/or choices. A 21st century version of "The devil made me do it", if you will.
stueysplace

Lyndhurst, Canada

#8 May 7, 2013
"So basically the concept of free will is bull?" Yup, and a whole bunch of other stuff bull too. I have listened both books about 5 time each thus far and have been researching this stuff for over 20 years. I'm 69, that special number although I've forgotten what's so special about 69. This throws our whole judicial system into disrepute. There are countries that are more advance than us. I have learned that the weather affects the stock-market, that most elections are won by the best looking candidate. My own thoughts are that the massive of synaptic stew in our heads does not have the ability to BELIEVE anything, only to claim to in it's own best interest, and as it says on my web page
ALL FACTS ARE BASED ON ASSUMPTIONS.
In short nobody actually believes in god, or that 2+2=4.
We have recently learned through science that plants have one of the same abilities as we do which is that they act to protect their young, even from other plants of the same species, just like we do. Have you established how 78 + 7 x 8 ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brockville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Environment Canada issues weather advisory for ... Feb 3 freethinkradio do... 1
Ottawa gas prices now among the lowest in Easte... Feb 1 USA GAS cheaper 2 1
Book events from Dec. 13 Dec '14 dispatches from t... 1
Book events from Nov. 29 Nov '14 CFUW Georgetown H... 1
Ontario highway pileup sends eleven to hospital (Dec '13) Dec '13 accidents cost lo... 1
Snowstorm from U.S. blasts Eastern Canada (Dec '12) Dec '12 Dick Miller 1
Talk about Brockville (Oct '12) Oct '12 okholly 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:44 am PST