Canada prepares for an Asian future

May 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Newsday

Chinese immigrants have flocked to Canada's west coast and transformed Vancouver into Canada's very own Asian metropolis.

Comments
161 - 180 of 408 Comments Last updated Jan 24, 2013
To Empire Earth

Port Chester, NY

#167 Nov 18, 2012
You have an interesting point. But China will not nuke the US in 10 years. The book I referred to mentions that Japan, China, and the US will see a lot of economic activity in the Pacific. And the USA is China's biggest trading partner.
And more so b/c of Europe's economic collapse. Also, until another country can demonstrate effective international leadership, US will be the preferred leader.
There is no incentive for China to wage war with the US. Who knows in 50 years?
AZN

Toronto, Canada

#168 Nov 18, 2012
Human Revolution wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not gonna lie. I consider the lives of women and children to be more sacred than other men. That's a terrible thing to say, but it is what I believe.
More self-contradiction.
Human Revolution

Middletown, OH

#169 Nov 18, 2012
AZN wrote:
<quoted text>More self-contradiction.
More?
To Empire E to Azn to HR

Port Chester, NY

#170 Nov 18, 2012
Human Revolution wrote:
<quoted text> More?
http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/u...
Insightful on the trade deficit b/t US and China.

To HR: Your view does sound a bit cheesy. Example: In moment of crisis who are you more likely to save?
1. yourself
2. family
3. women and children
Human Revolution

Middletown, OH

#171 Nov 18, 2012
To Empire E to Azn to HR wrote:
<quoted text>
http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/u...
Insightful on the trade deficit b/t US and China.
To HR: Your view does sound a bit cheesy. Example: In moment of crisis who are you more likely to save?
1. yourself
2. family
3. women and children
I regard the safety of my family, women, and children to be more important than my own. And are you sure "cheesy" is the right choice of words?
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#172 Nov 19, 2012
To Resist F and Empire E wrote:
To Empire Earth:
The US didn't intentionally establish Communist rule as they supported Chinese Nationalists. I'm reading "Can Asians Think".
The book mentions that social progress must come after economic progress. Is there any one with a good economics background on this forum that can shed some light on this topic?
Also without US presence in Asia, Japan would have a nuclear weapons program and WW3 might have already occurred. What the UN and the US is good at is making sure we have checks and balances in our increasing Global economy/country.
To Resistance is Futile: I hope the newer generations in China will result in more innovative leadership. Chinese have been successful also b/c they've been educated in US institutions and other Western ones.
This book really helped me gain some perspective. And US international policy has actually been kind and well intentioned towards China despite all the propaganda by both nations' media.
As Hilary Clinton said: Australia doesn't need to choose sides b/t the US and China.
I believe communism had its purpose in a developing China after 100 plus years of foreign influence...

and I too believe with the rise of China... we will see a change in its people and politics...

China's middle class is expected to hit 800 million by 2020... thats when I say they will have the power to change the country to what ever government they decide..

most pro China posters have expressed a wish to have a government to become more Singapore like...

I say all the power to them that is their country, if thats the direction they want
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#173 Nov 19, 2012
Tucker wrote:
Seriously Resistance, all your posts are just the goobledy-gok that the Party spews out and are not based in fact nor reality. I've got to thank you though. I've been reading a lot about China lately....and what an eye-opener....a Tiger indeed...a paper Tiger. Just a bunch of ancient wax figures tooting their horns so they can cling to power. You said before that wages are lower because cost of living was lower. On $159 per month costs in China are not much lower, except for food, which can be poisonous. Shelter and consumer goods can be MORE expensive.
you are a low IQ narrow minded manual laborer I dont expect you to be able to read or comprehend...

but you talk lots
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#174 Nov 19, 2012
To Tucker and Resist F wrote:
Though Resistance is Futile appears to be very pro-China he does have a point. We cannot deny economies of scale available in Chinese manufacturing. Their initiative in Green economy.
You've never been to China, me neither. But I have been to Hong Kong and Taiwan which are somewhat considered Chinese. Due to Asian competition, Asians have to be and are more increasingly innovative.
It's undeniable that Western economies have been growing slowly and the most growth will occur in Asia as it has been doing so.
Economic development has to come before social change. I recommend reading the book "Can Asians Think"
I was pro USA 15 years ago... now it is doing everything wrong...

and China is kicking a$$$$...

granted we do business with the Chinese... they will probably eat us up and spit us out...

but

what is the other option...our economy is still 60% tied to the USA who thinks it is a good idea to make up money and then borrow from itself 600 to 700 billion a year?

time to grow a brain...
Tucker

Winnipeg, Canada

#175 Nov 19, 2012
China will begin to decline soon. It will never develop to the degree of any western nation..perhaps to Eastern European levels at best. Demographically, it's population will begin to decline sometime around 2025, and fall to an estimated 900 million by the turn of the next century as per the UN.
Tucker

Winnipeg, Canada

#176 Nov 19, 2012
Foreign Influence? Only an economically inept and politically and culturally divided nation that has the world's largest population would let a nations with 5% or 10% of it's population occupy a portion of it's territory and dictate its foreign and economic policy. It would be akin to Uruguay occupying Vancouver Island and forcing Canada to open its markets to Uruguayan products on favourable terms.

Just like the Party, the blame is always with somebody else. Wah, wah, wah, Look what Japan did, wah, wah, wah, the British.(of course it's thanks to the UK for Hong Kong, the only 1st world part of China)...but after over 60 years free from foreign influence China has still not reached Japan's development of 1900, has fallen far behind South Korea, which was far poorer in the 1950's, has fallen behind Thailand, and will soon fall below Vietnam and the Philippines.

Face the facts, China's 3rd world status is no one's fault but China's.

Next thing you'll say is that if China could have the Japanese Senkaku Islands back it would be able to achieve greatness. That's what the party told the people when it instigated race riots throughout China in September. The similarity to krystallnacht in 1938 Germany were shocking. Signs that the Party is becoming increasingly desperate. There have been an estimated 200,000 riots in China so far this year. Things are starting to crumble.

As an aside, in July 2011 one of China's new high speed rail trains crashed at Wenzhou, killing 40.
At the time the train was going less than 100 km/h. The Party ordered media banned from the crash site and hurriedly buried the wreckage. This is just one example of how backwards China is. I could probably give a million more if I had the time.
James

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#177 Nov 19, 2012
Goodbye Canada. Your reputation has slid down the pole. I think Trudeau started the rot, but immigration, especially from Asia and Jamaica has seriously damaged your reputation. You now have violent crime that was once the pervue of American cities, you have slums that resemble the third world where the slum dwellers come from, you have welfare and healthcare issues because of the demand from immigrants and your police forces in Toronto and Vancouver are stretched. Not a very good story.
To Tucker

Port Chester, NY

#178 Nov 19, 2012
Your comments are quite arrogant.
European countries have been able to enslave non-Western countries through superior technology for over 400 years with very small populations.

When China's middle class grows, then there is hope for social change. When the middle class becomes strong enough. Cite me an example where social change comes before economic change.

China in the past took Marxism too literally, like many other Communist countries rejected all Capitalistic policies. Japan embraced capitalism from the very start. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Here in the US, Chinese students provide colleges with a considerable amount of income, and contributed heavily to the tech industry in Seattle. For skilled immigrants, I would imagine the they contribute a lot to the USA and to Canada. Is Chinese influence in Vancouver good or bad?

I wonder what new technologies will develop with China's investment in its space program.

And there's no turning back from the global economy. Cooperation among countries have to increase otherwise immigration illegal or legal will continue to wealthier Western nations. North Africa to Europe, South Asians to Australia, Mexicans to the US.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#179 Nov 19, 2012
Tucker wrote:
China will begin to decline soon. It will never develop to the degree of any western nation..perhaps to Eastern European levels at best. Demographically, it's population will begin to decline sometime around 2025, and fall to an estimated 900 million by the turn of the next century as per the UN.
yeah yeah yeah... white trash and his dreams...

there is a 1 child policy in China... because there is too many people

and this...

Greater China
Apr 30, 2010

Foreign workers (and wives) pour into China
By Kent Ewing

HONG KONG - Thousands of illegal Vietnamese workers are flooding into China's Pearl River Delta region, the country's manufacturing hub. At the same time, an increasing number of hard-up Chinese men are looking to Vietnam in search of the ideal wife.

Both stories speak volumes about changes in China's economic and social landscape. Double-digit economic growth has returned to the nation as the world climbs out of a prolonged recession, and the social stability so fretted over by the Communist Party leadership remains largely intact. But, although its economic juggernaut continues to roll, China is not the same country that it was only a few years ago.

Illegal Vietnamese migrants are taking low-paying factory jobs

that Chinese workers no longer want

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/LD30Ad01.h...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#180 Nov 19, 2012
Tucker wrote:
Foreign Influence? Only an economically inept and politically and culturally divided nation that has the world's largest population would let a nations with 5% or 10% of it's population occupy a portion of it's territory and dictate its foreign and economic policy.
what ever old white trash...you talk to much

Ladner’s Chinese Influence on the Vancuver Real Estate Market

by Maggie Chandler on April 14, 2011

Former Vancouver councillor Peter Ladner argues that wealthy Chinese homebuyers are driving Vancouver’s real-estate prices to heights unaffordable for regular British Columbians.

“Mainland Chinese immigrants are moving to Metro Vancouver at the rate of 10,000 a year,” Ladner said.“These immigrants are in some sense political and economic refugees, securing citizenship in Canada as a backup plan for their children’s futures.”

Rich Chinese buyers, Ladner suggests, are making a killing. He quotes a realtor’s flyer boasting that his average client’s equity rose from $150,000 to $4.5 million between 1993 and 2011.

http://www.vancouverreflections.com/ladners-c...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#181 Nov 19, 2012
whites like tucker... talk and talk... in real life he surrounds himself with stupid people who dont question what he says...

.China's influence over Western politicians runs deeper than controversial claims made by the head of Canada's spy agency, Conservative MP Rob Anders says.

Richard Fadden, director of Canadian Security Intelligence Service, faced a storm of criticism after saying last month that his agency suspects several municipal politicians in British Columbia and Cabinet ministers in at least two provinces had fallen under the influence of a foreign government.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/scripts/Chinese+i...
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#182 Nov 19, 2012
Steve has scheduled two more trips to China and six “buyers’ tours” in the next two months where he’ll bus dozens of Chinese investors around Vancouver checking out homes.

Because foreigners often use local addresses (their lawyer’s office, for example) when registering with the provincial land title office, no one knows how many off-shore Chinese investors own homes in Vancouver. But anecdotal evidence abounds. Empty homes, bought and mothballed for future sale, decrease housing stock, increase demand and up prices. According to the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, last year the average price of a detached home in Metro Vancouver rose 11.2 per cent to $887,000. On the West Side, the average home price rose 20.7 per cent to $1.99 million.

If trends continue, only the wealthy will own in Vancouver.

Rich, foreign investors will help push lower and middle income residents out of the city.

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/Vancouver+realtors+...

^

and then go join Tucker in Winnipeg

LOL
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#183 Nov 19, 2012
^ Tucker's response to China buying up Canada.:

"I ate my own poo in China... because their was no toilet paper in the public washrooms"
Aussie Bob

Adelaide, Australia

#184 Nov 19, 2012
Multiculturalism is just another dangerous ism created by the Zionist Jews. As far as I'm concerned, it is just another divide & conquer (Balkanization) strategy from the corrupted Orthodox (Zionist) Jews at the top of the globalist food chain.

It is exactly the kind of policy the NWO would adopt for the people in their servitude. Keeps everybody fighting amongst each other & their attention away from the issues that really matter. Including; survival of the race & preservation of European culture.
Human Revolution

Middletown, OH

#185 Nov 20, 2012
Aussie Bob wrote:
Multiculturalism is just another dangerous ism created by the Zionist Jews. As far as I'm concerned, it is just another divide & conquer (Balkanization) strategy from the corrupted Orthodox (Zionist) Jews at the top of the globalist food chain.
It is exactly the kind of policy the NWO would adopt for the people in their servitude. Keeps everybody fighting amongst each other & their attention away from the issues that really matter. Including; survival of the race & preservation of European culture.
Uh. you don't have to worry about the survival and preservation of European culture, it's not going away any time soon.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#186 Nov 20, 2012
please just shut up "Multiculturalism"

is a polite term white western nations dreamed up...

because years ago you realized that you had run up your national debt...and were not having enough kids to pay those bills and taxes in the future...

thus your need for immigration...and more important those children of those immigrants and their children, children

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

British Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Vancouver sucks (Dec '07) 15 hr Boniface Lau 10,276
Kim Proctor: Teen's Body Found Burned in Victoria (Mar '10) Sun BCCoaster 1,872
White Rock neighbours still await city interven... Aug 29 Sick of it all 1
Pediatricians call for later school start times... Aug 29 Claire Reynolds 3
UFO over forest fire: Canadian news crew captur... Aug 28 Fairy Tales 5
Sikh religion viewed unfavorably in B.C. (May '09) Aug 26 Manbrahmos 10,936
Police chiefs take no position on inquiry into ... Aug 26 they guilty doin... 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••