Canadians imprisoned abroad not welcome back: Ottawa

Full story: Dose 39
A Canadian child molester imprisoned in the United States is being transferred home to serve the remainder of his sentence after the federal government failed to convince a judge that Arend Getkate poses a ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Continually Updated from Net”

Since: Jan 07

A PBS place in an MTV world

#1 Jan 18, 2009
... nonsense in terms of these regular offenders." Winnie Lam and Steve Czinege, who are serving sentences in California prisons, contend that the government's refusal to transfer them violates the Getkate decision, which curtailed the government's ...
Comment?

Related Topix: Canada, World News, Prison, Ottawa, ON, Canada, Ontario, British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Drugs, California
CanadianinDomini can

Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 18, 2009
If you are visiting another country and get in trouble do the time there, not here in Canada, and don't whine to come home. I know of a girl from Lillooet BC that had been smuggling drugs into the US for years and is now doing time in California prison, as well she should. Even her native status could not get her any favors (as she thought it would), and it should not.
They just want to do the time in Canada, because our prisons coddle prisoners, and it like a stay in Holiday Inn. too bad, too sad.
various crime levels

Toronto, Canada

#3 Jan 18, 2009
Getkate won't go to jail, Wednesday 11 November 1998. City, The ...

http://www.google.ca/search...

Maury Getkate, who was an RCMP industrial psychologist, was admired by his ... could be justified at law," Justice Chadwick said in his written decision....

www.fact.on.ca/newpaper/oc981111.htm
the story not decision

Toronto, Canada

#4 Jan 18, 2009
Ottawa continues fight against transfer of Canadians imprisoned abroad

14 Jan 2009 ... refusal to transfer them violates the Getkate decision,... The Correctional Service of Canada, in recommending Getkate's return,...

www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.htm...
Rose

Brampton, Canada

#5 Jan 25, 2013
CanadianinDominican wrote:
If you are visiting another country and get in trouble do the time there, not here in Canada, and don't whine to come home. I know of a girl from Lillooet BC that had been smuggling drugs into the US for years and is now doing time in California prison, as well she should. Even her native status could not get her any favors (as she thought it would), and it should not.
They just want to do the time in Canada, because our prisons coddle prisoners, and it like a stay in Holiday Inn. too bad, too sad.
Obviously you know nothing about the justice system and how it REALLY treats inmates and their families. You have know idea how it feels to go through an experience like this when your loved one is incarcerated. It is not the Holiday Inn as you call it and just because someone is accused of a crime in another country it doesn't mean they should be mistreated or not able to come back to their home country. Being imprisoned abroad is a horrible experience to say the least. Being torn away from your family, friends and homeland with no support network is horrific. Not every case is the same and every person deserves to be treated fairly and with dignity. Instead of saying they deserve it because of what they might have or not done is not the issue. The question is why and how can we help this person to become a productive member of society instead of just warehousing people.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#6 Jan 25, 2013
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you know nothing about the justice system and how it REALLY treats inmates and their families. You have know idea how it feels to go through an experience like this when your loved one is incarcerated. It is not the Holiday Inn as you call it and just because someone is accused of a crime in another country it doesn't mean they should be mistreated or not able to come back to their home country. Being imprisoned abroad is a horrible experience to say the least. Being torn away from your family, friends and homeland with no support network is horrific. Not every case is the same and every person deserves to be treated fairly and with dignity. Instead of saying they deserve it because of what they might have or not done is not the issue. The question is why and how can we help this person to become a productive member of society instead of just warehousing people.
Aye.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Rose wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you know nothing about the justice system and how it REALLY treats inmates and their families. You have know idea how it feels to go through an experience like this when your loved one is incarcerated. It is not the Holiday Inn as you call it and just because someone is accused of a crime in another country it doesn't mean they should be mistreated or not able to come back to their home country. Being imprisoned abroad is a horrible experience to say the least. Being torn away from your family, friends and homeland with no support network is horrific.
There's an elegantly simple solution for that. Don't commit crimes in other countries. I get so fucking sick and tired of low-life shits thinking a Canadian citizenship is the equivalent of a "get out of foreign jail free" card.
All you've managed to spout is a bunch of liberalitic bullcrap.

One last point, I agree that Canadian prisons aren't Holiday Inns, but compared to prison systems in other countries, they sure seem like a Holiday Inn.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#8 Jan 25, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
There's an elegantly simple solution for that. Don't commit crimes in other countries. I get so fucking sick and tired of low-life shits thinking a Canadian citizenship is the equivalent of a "get out of foreign jail free" card.
All you've managed to spout is a bunch of liberalitic bullcrap.
One last point, I agree that Canadian prisons aren't Holiday Inns, but compared to prison systems in other countries, they sure seem like a Holiday Inn.
Even robbery fool? Most men are accused of rape because of evil feminists when really the men are innocent.

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#9 Jan 25, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Even robbery fool? Most men are accused of rape because of evil feminists when really the men are innocent.
Fool? Once more, if you don't want to spend time in a foreign prison, DON'T COMMIT CRIMES IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES!
What's the matter, fool? Don't think people should be held accountable for their own actions?

As for your rape argument, there's a distinct difference between being accused and being convicted.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#10 Jan 25, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Fool? Once more, if you don't want to spend time in a foreign prison, DON'T COMMIT CRIMES IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES!
What's the matter, fool? Don't think people should be held accountable for their own actions?
As for your rape argument, there's a distinct difference between being accused and being convicted.
Mistakes? People punished for mistakes? You unempathetic young rebellious turd!
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#11 Jan 25, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
What about a women lying about a boy raping her? The boy was only 15, and the women admitted to lying, she only lied to get money out of her, you pathetic little shit!

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#13 Jan 25, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
What about a women lying about a boy raping her? The boy was only 15, and the women admitted to lying, she only lied to get money out of her, you pathetic little shit!
She lied about a 15 yr old raping her so she could get money from her? Or did you mean from him?
And if you meant from him, that's the biggest load of horseshit I've heard on here yet. What adult falsely accuses a 15 yr old of rape in the hopes of getting money from them?

“Seriously guys...”

Regina

#14 Jan 25, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
young rebellious
Why thank you. Being as I'm almost 46, I'll take that as a compliment, you dog licker.
Yeah right

Toronto, Canada

#15 Jan 25, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#16 Jan 26, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
She lied about a 15 yr old raping her so she could get money from her? Or did you mean from him?
And if you meant from him, that's the biggest load of horseshit I've heard on here yet. What adult falsely accuses a 15 yr old of rape in the hopes of getting money from them?
IDIOT! Adults can be monsters as well! I'm 59 and even myself has been an assole sometimes on topix! Belt up!
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#17 Jan 26, 2013
Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
He was 16, not 15, typo.

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#18 Jan 26, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
IDIOT! Adults can be monsters as well! I'm 59 and even myself has been an assole sometimes on topix! Belt up!
Just like now? <-o
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Delta, Canada

#19 Jan 26, 2013
1USA1 wrote:
<quoted text>Just like now? <-o
^ you are not welcome back into Canada...

no matter how many times you get gang raped in prison by black and hispanic gangs

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#20 Jan 26, 2013
RESISTANCE IS A CHI COM PROPAGANDIST WITH A FAKE CANADIAN PROXY wrote:
<quoted text>
^ you are not welcome back into Canada...
no matter how many times you get gang raped in prison by black and hispanic gangs
You're not even allowed to leave China without permission from your overseers, slave. How do you like that repulsive little troll face staring back at you when you look in the mirror, savage little barbarian. <-o
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#22 Jan 27, 2013
Innocent men accused of rape get gang raped. Its horrible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

British Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former pro hockey player puts Penticton crimina... Sat arena debt criminal 1
Looking Back/Look Ahead: Candidates approach st... Sat too many fools al... 1
Vancouver police arrest four men after Christma... Sat benkonson 1
Black Friday sales go bust in B.C., survey finds Fri well 2
Bravo to Victoria mayor for her stand on Queen:... Fri mr paul 4
Central Ohio filmgoers lining up to see - The I... Dec 26 race relations 3
Sikh religion viewed unfavorably in B.C. (May '09) Dec 26 Serpent 11,039
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:10 pm PST