Anglo Society says it will continue t...

Anglo Society says it will continue to fight for rights

There are 9 comments on the The Victoria Star story from Jul 21, 2010, titled Anglo Society says it will continue to fight for rights. In it, The Victoria Star reports that:

The president of the New Brunswick Anglo Society says he is "disappointed, but not surprised" by the City of Bathurst's decision not to raise the group's flag, given the criticism it has received this past week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Victoria Star.

TVEDGETV

Moncton, Canada

#1 Jul 26, 2010
Gary

Brandon, Canada

#2 Aug 3, 2010
Yes, when you are denied completely you know where it is going. The Acadians have a rich and robust history it is sad to see it being used miserably. I suppose it is hard for some to let go of past injustices. As soon as the Anglos let their guard down, even a few hundred years later, they plan a sneak attack. The wishy washy politicians of the area will be its undoing.

Both sides should be able to celebrate their special days.
jed

Canada

#3 Mar 14, 2011
hey gary, its ok for you to celabrate your flag but why do you want bathurst to.... will you put an acadian flag in your dooryard....
frugal

Ottawa, Canada

#4 Mar 20, 2011
I as a Canadian am so fed up with the language nonsense here that I purchase all my goods in the USA. I don't need that crap of never ending language disputes.
frugal

Ottawa, Canada

#5 Mar 20, 2011
I as a first generation Canadian am so fed up with the language wars in my country that I try to spend my money and take my vacations in the USA. There is NO language war there and I come home refreshed to enter a whining infantile country, until my next trip. BTW my parents came from Europe after WW2 and Canada then was a peaceful country. Old stock Canadians should have been parachuted into war torn Europe then they would know what hardship is.
Gary

Winnipeg, Canada

#6 Mar 21, 2011
jed wrote:
hey gary, its ok for you to celabrate your flag but why do you want bathurst to.... will you put an acadian flag in your dooryard....
I would like the undisturbed right to put an Acadian flag in my yard without worrying about the actions or un-necessary words flung by my Anglo friends or acquaintances ( and maybe Acadians as well seeing as I am not one of them).

I just don't believe in the need to be so exclusionary in a world that is loosing its borders. Celebrating ones history is fine.You loose sight of it when you don't celebrate it and enjoy it. If you see excluding others though as a legitmate means you are doing nothing for people of the world but closing more doors. In fact, that is no better than what the Anglos, my people, did to the Acadians. They failed to count them in. They didn't just hide their flag they made the people almost invisible.
Gary

Winnipeg, Canada

#7 Mar 21, 2011
frugal wrote:
I as a Canadian am so fed up with the language nonsense here that I purchase all my goods in the USA. I don't need that crap of never ending language disputes.
Moving out of Ottawa and slightly west might help.
Gary

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Mar 21, 2011
frugal wrote:
I as a first generation Canadian am so fed up with the language wars in my country that I try to spend my money and take my vacations in the USA. There is NO language war there and I come home refreshed to enter a whining infantile country, until my next trip. BTW my parents came from Europe after WW2 and Canada then was a peaceful country. Old stock Canadians should have been parachuted into war torn Europe then they would know what hardship is.
You are out to lunch. Old stock Canadians were EXACTLY who got parachuted into war torn Europe my friend. Pleas do not let what is left of the vets who did those jumps hear you say that. Geez, even the Dutch and Belgium people know more about Canadian history than you do.
If you want to go further back and then you would have to face the fact that Canada was back and forth between English or French for many decades. There is a strong French component to Canada.
Your parents experienced the war because it was smack on their doorstep. Canadians experienced it because they cared enough to do that. Less talk about whiny Canadians.
You seem to have no real tie to Canada, you are the whiner,- go live in the states and "experience" the problems they face. It will make Canada look tame.
Ottawa is the most political city in Canada and it is evident when you stay there for awhile.There are many places where we just get along with our lives and and that seems to be largely west of Toronto, Ontario.There is room for French but no demand that we all understand or speak it.Just that the French people can get along in their language when they choose to it. I don't find that at all disturbing.
dechituationroom

Fredericton, Canada

#9 Mar 23, 2011
Gary wrote :Both sides should be able to celebrate their special days.
Last year on NB Day , Tim Hortons on Elmwood Drive celebrated with Acadian Flags, Beachballs Ornaments and such.
I love Acadians but ther are other people as well in this place.
I wonder if they will decorate the same way this year.
If it had been Acadian Day it would have been only natural, like I said it was NB Day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bathurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'I was just reading a book': Canadian cops call... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Rad 1
News Anglo Society flag will fly in Bathurst , N.B. (Jul '10) Jan '16 Mike from Moncton 12
WW 11 Bathurst Man Picked for REECE Special Forces (Jul '15) Jul '15 Gerry Taylor 1
TD Tree Days Event - Saturday, September 20th a... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Ashley Hebert 1
News Lobster fisherman dies on Grand Manan (May '12) Jul '14 Bailer 5
..FARMER..is..GOD,..not.... (Jun '13) Jun '14 PAUL SHYKORA arts... 4
News Maritime mayors welcome rail repairs (May '14) May '14 Sam 1
More from around the web