Lac La Biche mayor charged with theft...

Lac La Biche mayor charged with theft of gas

There are 68 comments on the Edmonton Journal story from Jan 27, 2006, titled Lac La Biche mayor charged with theft of gas. In it, Edmonton Journal reports that:

Lac La Biche's troubled civic administration sustained yet-another black eye this week when Mayor Tom Lett was charged with theft over $5,000. RCMP said Lett was charged after an investigation determined 12,500 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmonton Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Who

Edmonton, Canada

#1 Jul 17, 2006
Who is the mayor of lac la biche? What happened to the guy who was charged with stealing gas? Why isn't the news following this like they did with Dar? Any town, city or otherwise, who has a leading official charged with a crime, should be followed for the sake of the public....
Does anybody know what's happening with this case? Poor lac la biche....
Lolly

Calgary, Canada

#2 Sep 26, 2006
Who wrote:
Who is the mayor of lac la biche? What happened to the guy who was charged with stealing gas? Why isn't the news following this like they did with Dar? Any town, city or otherwise, who has a leading official charged with a crime, should be followed for the sake of the public....
I was wondering the same thing.. how come nothing has been said about this??
marcy

Edmonton, Canada

#3 Oct 7, 2006
Me too! Its disgraceful what happened in Lac La Biche, and though they have some new councillors who I hope (and I'm quite sure) will make good changes, they still apparently have a mayor who came out sounding like a bully, and in the end, who was charged with a crime.

Dar has been followed relentlessly, yet a town that was almost destroyed over the problems with the mayor is getting no resolution to the charges against him. Something is terribly, terribly wrong here.
warren young

Edmonton, Canada

#4 Jan 8, 2007
I live in lac la biche alberta and hes name it tom lett the mayor and he did steal gas but the way it is today he proably got away with it hes still our mayor and its like everbody forgot about it and hes still a good mayor thats waht everbody thinks but the whole mayor and al of the members are crooks and we should elect new ones the justice system is screwed up in llb
warren young

Edson, Canada

#5 Jan 27, 2007
this is stupid i think that they are al crooks and they should pay a penalty just like a normal person would haft to do....
Angela Rizzoli

Surrey, Canada

#6 Jan 28, 2007
I agree! And yes LLB is all messed up!
Watchdog

Burnaby, Canada

#7 Jan 29, 2007
Oh, the infamous Tom Lett saga in Lac La Biche, here is Tom in a nut shell. His life long nickname is PIGPEN, he is twice divorced, twice bankrupt, twice criminaly charged, one charge for theft over five thousand dollars for the disapering twelve thousand liters of fuel, when he was the manger of a local bulk station. His second charge is for driving dangerously while hauling a load of pipe. He kept swerving out of his lane into the other lane when others tried to pass. Lucky for traffic it was a police officer he did this to, The Lac La Biche R.C.M.P. member was returning to town in his private auto when this situation accured about twentyfive miles from town. Last of all thier is Tom Letts reputation in local politics, a few years ago he was voted in as Lakeland counties Reeve in charge but got the boot shortly after for being the one man band, and why he has not resigned his position is beyound me. I will report more on the Tom Lett tales as the story unfolds.
Warren young

Sturgeon County, Canada

#8 Feb 1, 2007
I think the town of llb should re-elect a new mayor bring order to this town and fix lots of things this is by far the worst place to live so many drunks crooks and people who just dont care!
Lolly

Calgary, Canada

#10 Feb 14, 2007
Hey Watchdog..
Divorced twice eh.. Ladies got smart & took him for everything?? Thus the bankrupts.. Knew he had one divorce from the mother of his kids, never knew about the second.. PIGPEN because he is a slob??
What was the mayor like that he replaced?? & when is the next election?? sounds like they need to clean up that town!!
Watchdog wrote:
Oh, the infamous Tom Lett saga in Lac La Biche, here is Tom in a nut shell. His life long nickname is PIGPEN, he is twice divorced, twice bankrupt, twice criminaly charged, one charge for theft over five thousand dollars for the disapering twelve thousand liters of fuel, when he was the manger of a local bulk station. His second charge is for driving dangerously while hauling a load of pipe. He kept swerving out of his lane into the other lane when others tried to pass. Lucky for traffic it was a police officer he did this to, The Lac La Biche R.C.M.P. member was returning to town in his private auto when this situation accured about twentyfive miles from town. Last of all thier is Tom Letts reputation in local politics, a few years ago he was voted in as Lakeland counties Reeve in charge but got the boot shortly after for being the one man band, and why he has not resigned his position is beyound me. I will report more on the Tom Lett tales as the story unfolds.
mel lett

Red Deer, Canada

#11 Feb 17, 2007
Who wrote:
Case delayed untll spring 2007
An interested observer

Edmonton, Canada

#12 Apr 7, 2007
I cant believe it either! There is no excuse for ignoring this guy's track history! The people of Lac La Biche deserve soooo much better!

I can't believe there is a second charge...is this since the theft? What's going on here? How come we aren't hearing about it or why isn't it being dealt with....I agree, sounds like the whole bunch of council must be friends & ignoring it....It's time for the town to elect a new mayor, someone with morals and accountability!

Twice divorced? Twice bankrupt?...& he's responsible for overseeing spending of tax dollars....how sad for Lac La Biche!
Marcy

Chestermere, Canada

#13 Apr 7, 2007
Obviously the ladies should beware this guy! Yeesh!!!
Lolly

Calgary, Canada

#14 Apr 12, 2007
So it is spring 2007, any word on what's happening to the mayor??
Chris McCullough

Calgary, Canada

#15 Apr 22, 2007
Have to say, with all his faults, he is still better than the LAST mayor, who is the one who led us into the embarrassing political situation last spring.
Lolly

Calgary, Canada

#16 May 3, 2007
Isn't the mayor still Tom Lett??
He was the mayor last spring when all the political BS was going on with the councelors...
Lindsay Lett

Canada

#17 May 7, 2007
You should really get your facts straight before running your mouth off!! I would love to know where watchdog is getting his info from but someone is lying to him!!I am Tom Lett's daughter and he was never charged with dangerous driving he did get issued a ticket but refused to pay it and is fighting it in court. He has only been divorced once from my mother who had an affair on him. You people all act as if you have never done anything wrong. You are all perfect innocent people. And regarding the fuel charge the witness is a person who is on drugs and has seen "Jesus", and it is being dealt with it is not getting shoved under the rug, he is fighting this to the end. It has been delayed because the witness didn't show up for the court date, he must have been visiting "Jesus" All I am asking is that you get the facts straight be, he does have a family and Grandkids that have to hear everything that is said, true or untrue. How would you like it if I started rumours about your family? Think about it!!
Lorraine Taylor

Calgary, Canada

#18 May 9, 2007
I'm behind your dad 100% Lindsay.
I know him really well & the Tom Lett I know is a VERY GOOD MAN!!!
The people saying all these nasty things all need to get a life!!
Leave the man & his family alone, STOP the witch hunt already!!

Since: Jan 06

Strathmore, Canada

#19 May 29, 2007
Just to make it absolutely clear, Tom Lett, the current mayor, is NOT the mayor and staff referred to in the Cuff report! There still seems to be confusion about that. Tom Lett is the GOOD mayor!!!
todd long

Edmonton, Canada

#20 Jun 4, 2007
To Chris,
Tom Lett IS the mayor referred to in the Cuff report. Obviously you haven't read the report, as it makes it quite clear that it is Tom Lett who caused all the problems on council as the mayor. In fact, the report specifically refers to how the devision came following his win over Duane Young by 5 votes at the last election! The Cuff report even recommended that the current Mayor, Tom Lett, resign. Perhaps you should read the Cuff report, rather than trying to convince readers in this forum that the Cuff report did not refer to him. Until people really read the report, they shouldn't be commenting as though they have.

Since: Jan 06

Strathmore, Canada

#21 Jun 14, 2007
Actually, I have read the Cuff report, several times, and my impression was that the main issues came from staff that were hired and supported by the previous administration. The previous administration had their hands (or hand) into a lot of issues that they should have been well out of.

The fact is that the current administration are the ones who ASKED for the Cuff report - because they were having so many difficulties with issues that were directly related to the inability of the former administration to step away and allow them to lead. The provincial investigators required that the provisions of the Cuff report be carried out or they would be required to step down - the voting block that was allied to the former mayor are the ones who were in that position - not the ones who are there right now. This is a matter of public record. Furthermore, it seems to me that when you are NOT the mayor any longer, you should hardly be sending around official seeming newletters explaining your actions as mayor, as occurred during the middle of this fiasco!

The division on council occurred earlier than during the election - the previous election had been investigated for vote tampering, the town wasn't paying their bills, they lost a great deal of money on grants that were not applied for, the town and county were at odds, the recreation director was gone, leaving recreation in a disorganized state, town staff were committing unethical acts using town computers... all of this was inherited by Tom Lett, not caused by him!!! Expressing frustration at not being able to carry on the business of governance is certainly not unwarranted in this case!!

However, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alberta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indigenous activist is the new 'face' of B'nai ... Thu Benny Birther - D... 2
News Expect a shock at the pump as OPEC cuts oil output Wed KELLY LEECH - KHAN 1
News Cattle feeders at heart of Canada's industry sa... Sep 28 Mac 1
News Fort McMurray businesses need servers, cooks an... Sep 26 Minimum Wage Rules 1
News Trudeau ends Harper's tradition of attending Ar... Sep 24 Frank AIRBUS - KHAN 2
News Canadian native groups to join Dakota Access pi... Sep 24 Prez of the Rez -... 1
News Political Comic Covers - This Marvel Comic Cove... Sep 22 Tommy Douglas-Mul... 3
More from around the web