Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

Sep 12, 2007 Read more: The Canadian Press 4,604

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Read more
Brian

Guelph, Canada

#101 Jun 7, 2008
I work for a No frills Store that gets product from atlas and I find the skids are not packaged properly . I find the old warehouse did a much better job.
marjorie

Whitby, Canada

#102 Jun 8, 2008
interviewed for the job wrote:
<quoted text>
i disagree....like most companies, they fresh hard working people that rely on a steady income...i had 2 interviews, worked in the auto industry, but no warehouse experience.....so, i technically have no bad habits in that aspect..and i feel that they will offer me an opportunity...unlike the unstable auto industry, food will always be a necessity..
I wouldnt be so sure about that comment: you wont have to worry about work cause food will always be a nessecity.....never say never. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE
Theresa Crumb

Pickering, Canada

#103 Jun 12, 2008
You may work there and they may have treated you right. Iknow people who have gone there and have been fired unjustly for the wrong reasons. Yes, you are not going to make big bucks there. But the sooner a union gets it there the better. This place sounds like they are back to 1950 tactics. I have been in this business long enough to know. that this company treats people unfairly and things need to change!
Theresa Crumb

Pickering, Canada

#104 Jun 12, 2008
Let's be realistic. I know people who have been fired for no reason, becuse someone is trying to get ahead. And innocent people take the fall. Mean while, lives have been turned upside down becuse of unjust termination. What goes around comes around. There will be a union in there. I hope soon. I have been in management for years and have seen a lot. From what I hear from peole who work in there and some management people. It's brutal to work there. 1950 tactics all over again. Wake up. People get writtten up for something they didn't do, but was fault of the company. Unsafe ractices, and these guys can't say anything. Who are you trying to kid. I have been management for years, treat people with respect and dignity and they will work for you. Not treat them like cattle.
Brent J

Pickering, Canada

#105 Jun 13, 2008
With a union in place employees are looked upon as being a single unit, which I believe diminishes the acknowledgment of the individual worker. There may be some good things a union can deliver but there are a lot of negative things too, and for those reasons I hope they stay far away from one. Look at GM.. If it wasn't for the high demands of the union, they would probably have most of their staff still working. Another example of union crap is the TTC. I used to live beside a TTC employee and all he did was complain about what he wasn't getting from the company, but not once did he mention he was glad to have a job. Unions will be the downfall of this country and are now considered to be a safe haven for most people regardless of whether they are a good employees or not. Just my opinion but then again thats what these forums are all about.. right.
Obama

Pickering, Canada

#106 Jun 13, 2008
does anyone know the phone number so i could follow up on my resume ?
in need of a job

London, Canada

#107 Jun 16, 2008
does atlas logistics have a website?
Coldman

Oshawa, Canada

#108 Jun 16, 2008
Freemont wrote:
Loblaws is crazy if they think this will run smoothly. This is a disaster waiting to happen. I'm sure Atlas has never dealt with produce, frozen or even the tight daily scheduling that Loblaws Distribution has handled themselves in the past. The growing pains Atlas and Loblaws will deal with will send shockwaves through investors and we will all relish in what I'm sure will be a dismal service level for years to come. I can only hope that Loblaws' Cambridge facility is ready to pick up the slack! The way Loblaws has the U.F.C.W in its back pocket, I was actually surprised they would go the third party route. In the last few years the way they have rushed into distribution changes with General Merchandise and the sinking stock price, we can only watch and laugh as we board this sinking ship and we will all say "we told you so." I would wage a fair buck that Atlas' service level will not exceed 70% for at least 10 years. Good Luck to all current Loblaws Distribution employees in the future and lets not let this "union" of ours screw us out of a fair severance package.
Well Freemont, we have done exceptionally well so far and things just keep getting better!! We might only be making $14.00 right now but they will be increasing that plus we are getting shift premiums and safety incentives as well as individual incentives. I have received the safety incentive twice and for every percentage I work above 'standards' I make $1 to $5 more per hour on top of my hourly wage.
Jim

Whitby, Canada

#109 Jun 18, 2008
Alright buddy...
Jim

Whitby, Canada

#110 Jun 18, 2008
that sounds good...better then whats going on at gm
Anonymous

Ajax, Canada

#111 Jun 21, 2008
Atlas is doing fine and yes the employees are treated fairly and properly from what I've seen - I've worked there since April; nobody has gotten fired for something that's the fault of the company as Crumb up there keeps yelling about, I doubt she even works there. People only get fired for doing something stupid or unsafe, have a horrible attitude, or taking really long breaks and lunches. I go in, I do my job, I talk and joke a bit with the supervisors, we all get told we're doing a good job, and I walk out happy with a good paycheque at the end of the week.

As for the person who said "I work at nofrills and the skids aren't as good coming from Atlas", that depends on the selector, a lot of us are damn good however we have newbies coming in every week as it's a relatively new place - give it some time.
Keep CAW out

Ajax, Canada

#112 Jun 21, 2008
Keep the CAW out.
They're the worst union, look at what they've done to GM - 24 dollars an hour for relatively easy amount of work which hurts the company - especially when they can outsource to other places for cheaper, the CAW also gets numerous idiots back into Sobeys Whitby Warehouse that should of been fired for legitimate reasons.
John Edwards

Ajax, Canada

#113 Jun 21, 2008
I hope half you don't get hired.

Why? because the half of you keep yelling "UNION UNION UNION UNIIIIOOOON" without even giving the company a chance, it's the first one in Canada and Atlas itself has known to be the number one food grocer with Americus in last place. Has anyone actually read what employees here are writing? They seem pretty happy. I'll be applying.
ms oshawa

Oshawa, Canada

#114 Jun 22, 2008
as soon as caw gets in....and 1 person was fired and rehired for signing a union card....loblaws will shut the doors again just like they did with harmony..they only want the stores union.Loblaws had enough of the unions with national grocer in mississauga.
Brent J

Pickering, Canada

#115 Jun 24, 2008
Update: I've been there a little while and the place and the people are great.. Everyone has a good attitude, and I've been told there will be no union. From all of the employees I've spoken with there is no interest in getting one either.
There are actually two companies in the warehouse, Atlas and Americus. Atlas employees are making $14.00hr and have performance/safety incentives, while Americus employees are making 12. something with no incentives (but that may change). Atlas takes care of the shipping/selecting/racking of produce, etc. and Americus deals with receiving/sanitation.
There are about 600 employees so far and I heard they are looking for approx 1500.
You will have to pass a written test and a
practical test on a triple pallet jack. You have to pass the written, you have two chances for the practical and if you fail both, they WILL walk you out of the building, no exceptions since everything in the building requires you to be on a machine.
For anyone interested, drop off a resume to security at the entrance.
Good luck.
BJ
chris

Whitby, Canada

#116 Jun 25, 2008
surveyor wrote:
HEY DAVE!!!!!!!!!!
CURRENTLY WE ARE MAKING 23.40/HR PLUS PREMIUMS PLUS WEEKLY BONUS'. BROKEN DOWN WE ARE MAKING OVER 29.00/ HOUR AND ALL YOU LOSERS WANT TO TO GO WORK FOR 14.00/HR.AND I KNOW THE TOP RATE WILL NOT EXCEED 17-18/HOUR.
Fu k man look at the rest of the bullshit there is no more jobs really in oshawa and whitby fu k its either wal-mart or mcdonalds it seems. are spin-off jobs are gone so 14 an hour is great plus you dont even mention wat ur talkin about and there is no government help in sight so fu k voting do they even help anymore? and really i got a question what is CANADA? i dont even know anymore i wish i was born in the 50s everything was booming there was no shadyness...anywayz have a great day...does atlas even have a e-mail to send a resume?
Ryan Bell

Oshawa, Canada

#117 Jun 25, 2008
I have worked at the Atlas plant for the Americus Logistics recieving team. I was one of the very first people hired to work there. Right from the get go things went tits up. My entire hiring group was laid off 2 months and three weeks into their employment. sounds fishy? it gets worse. Email me at privatesparky@hotmail.com and I would be happy to tell you about my personal experiences.
Ryan Bell

Oshawa, Canada

#118 Jun 25, 2008
you see the atlas guys running around in freezer pants and coats, we are working in the same environment and all they give us a non-reflective orange sweater with americus logistics on the front to protect ourselves from the cold. No hats, or coats. Sorry the supervisors are all wearing Refrigiwear coats where they came from... nobody knows. I am a disgruntled employee, why? because I took the time to help others around me, including those from difference ethnicities, I took the time to teach them tricks and tips on machinary and the recieving process. I stood up to the daily screaming matches. 12 dollars an hour to come home all pissed off? Don't think so guys.
Ryan Bell

Oshawa, Canada

#119 Jun 25, 2008
so instead of having to fight for a pair of gloves, now I am fighting for my job being as that I got laid off just minutes before the three month probation is over. over 30 trucks in the doors to be recieved and we have 14 employees there yesterdays and they were laying us off saying we had too many people.?? WTF ?? somebody needs to get the government involved here. I think it should be me.
Ryan Bell

Oshawa, Canada

#120 Jun 25, 2008
things are gonna change people, things are gonna change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ajax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ajax man, 28, charged after driving in the wron... Apr 4 where r 12 lanes 1
News Oshawa doctor charged with sexual assault named (Jan '12) Dec '14 jacob 26
News Smart meters are dumb. This Saultite plans to c... Nov '14 real time news 2
News Sunflashes (Apr '07) Oct '14 sad lost and found 7
News Ontario election, part 2: Sense and nonsense fr... (Jun '14) Jun '14 nitty gritty 1
News 20140212 Jim Flaherty (Mar '14) Mar '14 its a shame 1
first time gay sex (Jun '12) Jan '14 dricky 3
More from around the web