Charity in times of crisis: To give o...

Charity in times of crisis: To give or not to give

There are 6 comments on the The Guelph Mercury story from Aug 5, 2011, titled Charity in times of crisis: To give or not to give. In it, The Guelph Mercury reports that:

Why do people feel compelled to give after some international disasters, but not others? More specifically, why the outpouring of support after the earthquake in Haiti, but feeding the starving in the Horn of Africa has been such a tough sell? "Someone could teach a course on this," said Phil Maher, communication director for the Christian ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guelph Mercury.

Joe

Toronto, Canada

#1 Aug 5, 2011

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2 Aug 16, 2011
I feel too many people have started having more worry about there own pockets and forgetting that in many ways we have a responsibility to help those less fortunate. For example, since the onset of the credit crunch some families are struggling to run 2 or 3 cars and still afford to go on extravagant holidays every year!!! In the grand scheme of things this doesn't really even compare to the pain and suffering in places such as Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Many people need to sit back and take time to reconsider what is important whilst they panic about not being able to afford things for themselves during the credit crunch, we need to remember that things really aren't that bad for us, we could be a lot worse off.

Also, I know there are lots of surveys on the internet about all sorts of different things, but this one is real and for a good cause. I have created this survey to help me complete a university assignment and organise a charity event for the charity Operation Smile. Please complete the questionnaire, it's only 10 questions and will take less than a minute, I would be so grateful for you help, so just get clicking on the link below and submit your results, it is all completely anonymous!! Thank you.:)

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NXMGL8Z
more

Guelph, Canada

#3 Aug 19, 2011
Cody Lettau

Union Grove, WI

#4 Aug 23, 2011
I feel that it is always important to give back to your community and the world you live on! If everyone was willing to help in the even the slightest way possible, our world would be a great place!
That's why I've created a website, http://www.SpoGo.co , which allows you to search the web just as if you were using Google (same results), but for every single day you use the site, a small donation is made to the featured charity. It's that simple to lend a hand and help someone in need.
We don't ask for any money. We don't ask for you to do anything out of the ordinary (search the web), and it's all for a good cause.
Please help today by using www.SpoGo.co to perform your daily searches! Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you helped spread the word!
Thanks,
Cody
Alicia Marie

Edmonton, Canada

#6 Sep 29, 2011
Does anyone out there see more benefit to giving within their own community FIRST, before sending money overseas?

Not to say that there is anything wrong with helping out a country who has just faced a natural disaster, but so often we forget that there are need and issues in our own backyard that need attention. After all, charity begins at home, right?

http://whatisacharity.com/category/charity-be...
Sentinel

Moncton, Canada

#7 Sep 29, 2011
Somalia?

Let the pirates take care of the starving. Or how about Saudi Arabia or Iran....they're moooslims.

I just had a big chicken dinner an hour ago. Never thought of a skinny Somalian at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Acton, Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Meet your Wellington-Halton Hills provincial el... May 18 Rage eh 11
News MPP still pushing for CT scanner (Sep '09) May 15 Green-party-platform 22
News United Way sets $300,000 goal (Sep '09) May 9 now we into it 3
News 341 traffic fatalities on OPP patrolled roads i... May 8 not all drunk 1
News It is an extra extraordinary event: Hydro CEO (Dec '13) May 6 beware of DoFo as... 66
News Area residents urged to join Sirens for Life bl... (Jul '09) May 6 GTOL 11
News Acton station on GO slow track (Dec '11) May 5 need 2 do same here 5