Unicel to become Verizon Wireless

Unicel to become Verizon Wireless

There are 28 comments on the ArgusLeader.com story from Aug 9, 2008, titled Unicel to become Verizon Wireless. In it, ArgusLeader.com reports that:

Verizon Wireless has completed its purchase of Rural Cellular Corp., doing business as Unicel.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ArgusLeader.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
melissa

Hudson, NY

#1 Aug 10, 2008
As a unicel customer I can not imagine verzion being able to support such competitive prices that unicel has today. I am not too excited about the changes and probably won't update my contract once the changes take affect. To add, frinds and relatives of mine did not have great experiences with verizon cell services.
Stacy

Newport, NH

#2 Aug 13, 2008
I have contacted both Unicel and Verizon to get information on this acquisition and got nothing but a run around from Verizon. Verizon supervisors stated that Unicel was not being bought and that it was Alltel that they bought. I got this information on several calls to them. Yet it was confirmed when I needed to get my son a new phone and the insurance company told me it was OK to get it in Vermont where my son lives with his father. I was told that NH accts are now considered Verizon Wireless and cannot do business in any VT store. What a slap in the face that was. I feel Verizon's services ... product and customer service ... are terrible and it costs twice as much. Therefore, when the supervisor from Verizon said that if I wished to beome a Verizon customer he would be happy to set me up and I emphatically stated "no way! That they cost a lot more money" and when he asked how much I told him $50 a month for unlimited services compared to Verizon's $99.99 a month. I have 3 phone lines on my Unicel acct and only pay less than $180 for them all. I will drop my cell phones if I cannot find a provider in my area that is equal to or approximate to the cost of Unicel. I refuse to become a Verizon Customer.
Jimmy Boy

Keene, NH

#3 Aug 16, 2008
I'm really glad they bought out unicel.
rec3490

Sanford, ME

#4 Aug 19, 2008
I've had Verizon for work phones and they suck. They charge too much and they nickle and dime you constantly!
They want you to get your pics off of the phone through them and PAY them for your own stuff. WTF!!!!!!!

I'm going to cancel if this is true!
no way verizon

Wiscasset, ME

#5 Sep 17, 2008
It's happening alright! i went in to get a new phone at unicel and they said i was better off waiting a couple more months because verizon is taking over and giving everyone new phones equivalent to theirs. im guessing because we use sim cards and they dont. well im not very happy about it, i already pay over 100 a month for 2 phones with unicel. i dont need that to double!!!!
OXFORD MISSISSIPPI

Ripley, MS

#6 Nov 20, 2008
I heard verizon charges out the wazoo from all my friends if this is true and I'm going to cancel.
John

United States

#7 Nov 21, 2008
Get T=Mobile ther service is Great
jessica

Ketchikan, AK

#8 Nov 30, 2008
Verizon wireless sucks!!!! They do nickel and dime you!!!!! So true!!!!
Suzy

Sumrall, MS

#9 Dec 15, 2008
We have 3 Verizon cell phones a wireless computer card with unlimited text pics and flics and we pay only 237.00 a month. we work all over the USA and have great service. Any calls or text to other VZW user do not use minutes or cost anything extra. Do a family choice nationwide plan and then add your 2nd and third line for $9.99 each!! My only complaint has been not having a corporate store in the Oxford area.
June

Hamilton, Canada

#10 Dec 16, 2008
VZW Customer Service is the worst. I am considering changing my service when my contract ends due to Customer Service inconsistency and rudeness.

Since: Dec 08

Bangor, ME

#11 Dec 29, 2008
hey, i know this is a bit off topic, but could someone answer this question if you possibly know the answer?

well, i have a friend in florida and i live in maine and i want to text her, but i was just wondering if the texting long distance would cost me money. and i have unlimited texting by the way. i hope someone could help me out :)
Samantha

Cheraw, SC

#12 Jan 2, 2009
I am not happy with Verizon. I probably won't renew my contract with them.

Does anyone have any information they could share on a better wireless servicer? Verizon charges for everything.
DNT NEED 2 KNW

AOL

#13 Jan 14, 2009
im glad im gone b with verizon!!!!!!!!!!
Victoria

Waterboro, ME

#15 Jan 21, 2009
I hate Verizon! I had them last year and I paid the $200 to cancel them! So I went to Unicel and they have been great! Now I learn that it is going to be verizon!! I just paid all that money to get rid of them! I am sooooo angry. I am probably going to pay the money to cancel again. Verizon sucks...they are overpriced, their service sucks, I can never get a signal, and their customer service blows!!!
steve

Bend, OR

#16 Jan 28, 2009
I am so mad at what they are trying to do to us! i have been with unicel for a couple of years . i have always paid my bill... i am under contract with them until 11-09 . if i stopped using them i would be forced to pay them around $200 for early termination . i was told that if i dont switch to verizon and get one of their phones that my service will stop april 1 2009. all fine and dandy right ? WRONG ! i have heard that we all have to run our credit again and if we do not live up to there standards that we must pay a deposit of $200 to ? i did not ask to be switched and i feel that they have to honor our contract or pay us a " early termination " fee or at least keep us on as we are for free ! can you say class action law suit! you cantact me at [email protected]
melissa wrote:
As a unicel customer I can not imagine verzion being able to support such competitive prices that unicel has today. I am not too excited about the changes and probably won't update my contract once the changes take affect. To add, frinds and relatives of mine did not have great experiences with verizon cell services.
dawnmarie

Merrimack, NH

#17 Feb 15, 2009
patriotsbabe28 wrote:
hey, i know this is a bit off topic, but could someone answer this question if you possibly know the answer?
well, i have a friend in florida and i live in maine and i want to text her, but i was just wondering if the texting long distance would cost me money. and i have unlimited texting by the way. i hope someone could help me out :)
from what I learned after about an hour on the phone the other night, if you don't change your plan (sign on with Verizon) your plan won't change from what you currently had. In other words, if you have unlimited texting it won't change... you will keep all that you have and SUPPOSEDLY your bill will remain the same. JUST DON'T SIGN A CONTRACT with Verizon and you will be all set. Nothing will change (if I'm to believe what they say). Though you will have to get one of their phones. They are offering 3 free ones. In the research I've done, the motorola is the one to go with. It has the best reviews. Also, you can cancel with them at anytime and you won't get pentalized. Even if you cancel a year from now... AND get the new phone from them, stay with Unicel and if you aren't happy, don't cancel till after the first 30 days (otherwise you have to return the new phone). I KNOW it doesn't make any sense but that is what I was told by the sales rep I spoke with the other night... he agreed that it made no sense but it is true. If you cancel service with in the first 30 days you have to return the phone to them, otherwise you are pentalized $175. If you just wait and cancel anytime there after, no need to return the phone. Save yourself the hassle.
That's the gist of what I've discovered... oh, AND Verizon does NOT have any plans that have free incoming calls! Number one reason I won't be signing any contracts with them.
Hope this was helpful.
~d
teacher

United States

#18 Feb 16, 2009
we got our letter from verizon verifying that our plan will be the same and we have a certain number of days we can quit without penalty if we don't like it.. our cost looks to be exactly the same but you'd think such a big company as verizon could afford to offer prices a little cheaper.. since generally more customers means less per capital expense for them.. we are on the edge of our service area so hopefully we don't have connection issues. if you plug in our zip code into the verizon plan pages we get a 'sorry no plans in your area' but if we plug in the zip for the nearby town where the unicel office is, there are a number of plans available. They look fairly similar to what we had with unicel. Unicel used to be Cellular One.. was that a take-over too or was that just a name change?
teacher

United States

#19 Feb 16, 2009
oh and we got our phones in the mail already.. though we can't use them until April. I hope we like them... I know already that I am not as fond of the keyboard on the front.. we got Samsung Saga's that are supposed to replace our HTC phones. my HTC has a keyboard that comes out on the side only when I need it...it is like a regular computer keyboard (only mini).. I think we will still be able to use the HTC as a mini-computer for pictures, music and word files.. and internet if I have access to a wireless connection.... just not as a phone ..
I put together my own ring-tones and will have to transfer from my computer to my new phone after we can I guess.. it indicates that people who bought ringtones and games will have to buy them all over again for the new phones.. that doesn't seem fair.. after all this wasn't a change any of us asked for... any cost incurred as a result of the changeover needs to be paid for by Verizon since all this is their doing.
PO BIGTIME

Walla Walla, WA

#20 Feb 20, 2009
Sounds like it is time for a class action suit. A contract is a contract. They are not honoring their own contract.
Verizon sucks!
Laura

North Powder, OR

#21 Feb 24, 2009
We purchased a $150 from unicel about 6 months back. Now it will not work switching to verizon. Verizon is offering free $25 phones. I just cancelled my unicel. Verizon has numerous hidden fees and reception not good where I live.Unicel should buy back the phone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wireless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hundreds oppose planned cell tower (Jul '12) May '17 May-24th-weekend 6
News Residents seek council's help in cell tower fight (Sep '12) May '17 Ma Bell 10
News The FCC Gets Set to Free Wireless May '17 ACopple 1
News VPN. Here's how I do it anyway. (Jan '17) Jan '17 dom 1
News Review: Netgear Nighthawk X10 packs a speed pun... (Jan '17) Jan '17 martin 1
News 6 weird facts you didn't know about It's a Wond... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Still here 2
News Inflight wifi signals an end to mid-flight me time (Oct '16) Oct '16 Maeve W 1
More from around the web