Outdoor reading 'room' coming to new ...

Outdoor reading 'room' coming to new Downtown park | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 139 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 15, 2011, titled Outdoor reading 'room' coming to new Downtown park | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

There will be places to sit, books to read and Wi-Fi access when an outdoor reading area opens in Columbus Commons at the end of May.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
John Blutarsky

Nashport, OH

#127 Apr 15, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
This is America, hon. You have the right to say all kinds of things. That doesn't make any of them wise or right.
Duly noted for future reference.
John Blutarsky

Nashport, OH

#128 Apr 15, 2011
Progress wrote:
<quoted text>
Something tells me you will complain wherever you go, and by the way, the quicker the better.
It's fun complaining because it really gets under the skin of liberals when you criticize their leaders.
Speaker of My House

Columbus, OH

#129 Apr 15, 2011
CMH2MKE wrote:
This is one of those things that if you saw in another city you would think was a great idea and something unique. Yet, because it's in your hometown, you have to be cynical and bash it. The people bitching about parking and taxes are on auto pilot now so now matter what the topic, they're going to bring up these things along with the the economy and think they're smart and making a good point. You're not. It's all become white noise.
I think this is great idea and will really be a feature that people remember about the park. I look forward to enjoying Columbus Commons and it's many features for years to come!
thanks for the lecture. And oh by the way I helped pay for the park so I am really pleased I could accommodate you. Unfortunately I had no choice in the matter thanks to our pilfer-happy mayor. Speaking of professional mooches and folks addicted to my money -- I wish it were easy to forget about that $14 trillion of debt that you call "white noise" unstuck from my rectal cavity. Working and paying taxes since I was 16 boy genius. I have paid into Social Security for the benefit of what I consider to be the greatest-ever generation this planet will see. What's coming up behind my generation makes me ill. Google if you have the time "Peggy the Moocher" and tell me if you want to elect another politican who gives Peggy everything she wants. Yes? No? Maybe? My advice to you is to try and view the world we live in with other people's optics. Is that some buzz-speak you can appreciate or is that too harsh?
DMW

Zanesville, OH

#130 Apr 15, 2011
Randy wrote:
Perfect, lets spend money on something that people can enjoy for maybe 5 months out of the year, minus the days its 95 degrees with 95% humidity, and subtract all the rainy days, and you get about 75 days out of 365 that people will actually use this.
Sounds like Crew Stadium or any other outdoor spot. May as just throw the whole park system out the window.
Bullet proof

Blacklick, OH

#131 Apr 15, 2011
Surround the park in bullet proof glass and I'm there.

BTW, I hope there is money in the budget to keep it mowed and the trash removed.
mymymy

Mount Gilead, OH

#132 Apr 15, 2011
B-Dub wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you do, but parks are built all over the city all of the time and I never hear people get worked up about it. Why is this one so ripe for critcism?
Because this park is being built on land that used to house private , tax paying businesses . Instead of the clown Mayor cleaning it up so people would shop there , he took it over making it a burden on the tax payers that are left in Columbus .
Shhh

Cincinnati, OH

#133 Apr 15, 2011
I suppose this is one of the things that is going to help make Ohio "cool". You know, Gov. Kasich wants the state to be like Austin or Raleigh. I hope the Gov. knows of your plan, it might make his day.
Bullet proof

Blacklick, OH

#134 Apr 15, 2011
protector wrote:
I FREEKIN LOVE THIS STUFF ! HOPE U CAN CARRY A GUN. CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW U LIBS DEAL WITH THE HOMELESS [ CODE FOR DRUNK / MENTAL ]. WALKING UP TO U - DAMN NEAR STRONG ARM ROBBIN U WHILE YOUR DISTRACTED READING YOUR LITTLE BOOK - TWEETIN YOUR TWITS OFF SIPPEN ON A COFFEE !! THERE WILL NEVER BE A VIBRANT DOWNTOWN UNTIL COLEMAN GETS THE GANGS AND PANHANDLERS OFF THE STREETS - THIS IS WHY WE HAVE SUBURBS AND THE GANGS / HOMELESS HAVE THE DOWNTOWN !!! ARE U FOLKS AWAKE? U MEAN U REALLLY DONT KNOW WHY CITY CENTER CLOSED ??
Well, the suburbs are getting out of control now as well since the downtown Columbus is a ghost town, the thugs take COTA out to the burbs to rob, steal, and kill.
Easton better get it together or it will be another City Center demise.
Bullet proof

Blacklick, OH

#135 Apr 15, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it seems to be a prime location for exactly that kind of small retail. It is locate smack dab between two areas (Short North and the Brewery District) that have been on the upswing.
Dear head in the sand for the past decade, there was retail there but all the gangs ruined it and everyone went to Tuttle & Polaris
Abomination

Blacklick, OH

#136 Apr 15, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhhhh. Thanks for the explanation. If they said rainbow stickers I would have gotten it.
As it happens I am a professional (neither young nor wealthy), I live in the city and consider myself to be an out-of-practice heterosexual. I chose to raise my family in the city, and while I will continue to advocate for the improvement of many things (particularly public education), I have no regrets about my choice.
It is true that in my neighborhood there are many people who are gay. But there are also families with children (and people who are gay and have children). All just part of what makes the whole diverse experience so wonderful.
That's just disgusting. Child abuse I must say.
Tea Party for me

Hilliard, OH

#137 Apr 15, 2011
We can't afford this we are broke. We need to me more tax breaks so I can create more jobs......LOL!
Dumb

Lewisville, TX

#138 Apr 15, 2011
So people will be able to enjoy their "Paris" look 2 months out of the year because it will either be snowing or raining the other 10 months. If it wasn't Ohio, this would be nice, but reality folks.
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#139 Apr 15, 2011
Charge an admission fee and let those that think it's a great idea pay for it. There should not be one dime of taxpayer money spent on this. Oh, I am sorry, only a few will show up even it only costs $1.00 admission. Liberals are all alike until they have to pay for something out of their pocket.
Ethan Post

Columbus, OH

#140 Apr 15, 2011
The article was referring to Paris, Kentucky, not Paris, France
Bobby

Mccook, NE

#141 Apr 16, 2011
will there be burger,dogs,and fries? hip hop & break dancing? will there be george michale's rest areas to yank the deviants from berliner, whetstone and homo park?
bobby
Love to read BUT

Westerville, OH

#142 Apr 16, 2011
Have you ever noticed how windy it gets downtown from the airflow between the buildings? That ought to make it fun to try to read books.

Combined with the typical Ohio fluxuations in weather (high heat & humidity in summer, snow and ice in winter), I can't see this park being too appealing except a couple days each year.

Plus who would feel safe in that area to sit and read a book without constantly watching behind your back? You need to have your guard up at all times around there for safety...someone engrossed in a book would be a perfect mugging target.
reader

Dublin, OH

#143 Apr 16, 2011
Joel wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he just said that all professional are gay based on the fact that they may have "Equality" stickers on their cars. The blue stickers with the yellow equal sign. Sad assumption really. "Gee you smart people want equal rights for everyone, how dare you!"
For sure. I don't venture into that milieu too often. Last year when we went to the Greek Festival we had to see two young females, one dressed like a guy, walking down the street holding hands. The weirdos are all over there.
OnlyinColumbus

Columbus, OH

#144 Apr 16, 2011
Black Lion wrote:
Charge an admission fee and let those that think it's a great idea pay for it. There should not be one dime of taxpayer money spent on this. Oh, I am sorry, only a few will show up even it only costs $1.00 admission. Liberals are all alike until they have to pay for something out of their pocket.
I paid for this park with a very small amount of tax money that came out of my pocket, and I am happy to do so. I am proud and glad I live in an city with a few pleasant civic amenities and a great future ahead of it.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#145 Apr 16, 2011
Why can't people just take a book to the park and read? Why does there need to be a special park that costs more money?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wireless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News VPN. Here's how I do it anyway. Jan '17 dom 1
News Review: Netgear Nighthawk X10 packs a speed pun... Jan '17 martin 1
News Residents seek council's help in cell tower fight (Sep '12) Dec '16 Dark Web eh 9
News 6 weird facts you didn't know about It's a Wond... Dec '16 Still here 2
News Inflight wifi signals an end to mid-flight me time Oct '16 Maeve W 1
Solid Wood Furniture Oct '16 Anonymous 1
News BCE Inc. (TSE:BCE) Receives Average Rating of "... Oct '16 Wind Unlimited eh 1
More from around the web