Outdoor reading 'room' coming to new Downtown park | The Columbus Dispatch

There will be places to sit, books to read and Wi-Fi access when an outdoor reading area opens in Columbus Commons at the end of May. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Just Listening

United States

#1 Apr 15, 2011
That should draw a crowd.
boing

Westerville, OH

#2 Apr 15, 2011
People can sit there and read the help wanted section of the paper . Looking for a new job to replace one from a company that left Columbus .
Levy

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 15, 2011
See what happens when voters pass a levy?

They start spending $$ like crazy. This DOES NOT seem like a wise use of my hard earned tax dollars!
Stupid is as stupid does

Hilliard, OH

#6 Apr 15, 2011
I'm sure people will come in masses to take advantage of the bargain bin books that ate set out. Doesn't everyone want to read a book from 1984 on computer programming or a worn-out romance novel missing its cover and half its pages?

And wow, free WiFi. I mean, where else can one go to get WiFi downtown? What a deal!
Candyman

Chillicothe, OH

#7 Apr 15, 2011
Maybe the naysayers will be right. Summer is just around the corner, so we'll soon who is right and who isn't.
open your eyes

Lima, OH

#8 Apr 15, 2011
another place for the ner do wells to "hang"
watcher

Greensboro, NC

#9 Apr 15, 2011
OMG what great use of my tax money. You have to be kidding? You are comparing springtime in Paris to the park in downtown Cbus? What a friggin joke. Now you are going to have to provide I pads for the homeless so they can read as they sit in the park.
What a fabulous idea and new way to spend our money.
Wake up people! It is just continuing. We need jobs not free wifi.
Nana

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 15, 2011
What a waste. This place will be trashed within a week and graffiti all over the place within that time too. Complete waste of taxpayers money!
R U Kidding

Columbus, OH

#12 Apr 15, 2011
Are they really going to plant 60 foot shade trees, or will I need to come back in 20 years?
Randy

New York, NY

#13 Apr 15, 2011
Perfect, lets spend money on something that people can enjoy for maybe 5 months out of the year, minus the days its 95 degrees with 95% humidity, and subtract all the rainy days, and you get about 75 days out of 365 that people will actually use this.
Jay

Tbilisi, Georgia

#14 Apr 15, 2011
I'll look forward to sitting in this park reading and enjoying!
Robert

Columbus, OH

#15 Apr 15, 2011
Is ther going to be a library after Ksick gets done?
causal voter

Columbus, OH

#16 Apr 15, 2011
Naysayers are out in force today!

An area like this with services like this is what Columbus needs to be competitive with other small urban areas in the country to draw and retain young professionals.

People reading?
People enjoying the outdoors?
People out in their community and not inside a shopping mall?

GASP! Perish the thought!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tina

Morrow, OH

#17 Apr 15, 2011
I think this is an excellent idea! I'm looking forward to its opening!!
C-bus

Hebron, OH

#18 Apr 15, 2011
from the comments on here, why should the city do anything unpractical, like parks or trees? Cities should just be a series of grey, square buildings and parking lots. That would technically be the cheapest, i guess - but who'd want to live there?
Tax Wasteland

Hilliard, OH

#20 Apr 15, 2011
More waste in an area that took tax based revenue and turned it into a tax wasteland.
All of the money that Coleman and Council are spending in the downtown are is waste.
The minimal use is not worth it.
Columbus need police, fire and city services not crap like this.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#22 Apr 15, 2011
This should bring the tourists if the merry-go-round and dippy bridge don't. Everyone will want to see and be seen here!
hog2561

Bowling Green, OH

#23 Apr 15, 2011
good luck with this so called park. it will be filled with dog poop. no one will clean it up. nice idea but not enough folks will come downtown. maybe they will give out free vouchers for parking if you go to the park. the parking is horrible. sure hate to see my taxes wasted on this bs.
bosco

Columbus, OH

#24 Apr 15, 2011
How about chess tables?
what

Columbus, OH

#25 Apr 15, 2011
hog2561 wrote:
good luck with this so called park. it will be filled with dog poop. no one will clean it up. nice idea but not enough folks will come downtown. maybe they will give out free vouchers for parking if you go to the park. the parking is horrible. sure hate to see my taxes wasted on this bs.
You're right, people probably aren't going to come downtown to go to this park. I think the point is so that people who live downtown can enjoy the park. Maybe I missed the point...?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wireless Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Darkhotel' Tricks Hotel Wi-Fi Users Nov 17 Kid_Tomorrow 1
You might not need a mobile carrier by 2020 Nov 8 mas joko ta uh uh 2
Edgy tech inventions debut at Engadget Expand NY Nov 7 Kid_Tomorrow 1
U.S. Internet has plans for a broader Twin Citi... Oct '14 Anonymous 3
Gigabit cellular networks could happen with 24G... Oct '14 harvinedhalmon 1
Tourist locked in bookstore uses social media t... Oct '14 DILF 4
Canadians paying more for cable, wireless, Inte... Oct '14 Zach 1

Wireless People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE