Hey Hand, Thinking About Pulling Cont...

Hey Hand, Thinking About Pulling Containers? Better Check This Out First!!

Posted in the Trucking Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DAYCAB2Charlesto n

AOL

#1 Feb 1, 2010
For all you new guys that are thinking about pulling containers you should check out this website first www.porttrucker.com before getting started. At least you'll be able to communicate with others in the business that can try steer you clear of making bad decisions before you get your stick time. This website is maintained by port truckers fedup with the broken system we have to deal with on a daily basis. Hopefully this will help someone avoid disaster who is thinking about leasing to one of the many crap companies who prowl outside the port gates looking for new victims!!!
chaindrive

AOL

#2 Feb 1, 2010
yeah just did,interesting site, on the port trucker front page you can click onto -hardtimetrucker- which opens the driver forum.
lot of interesting post on that too. i haul out of baltimore.
beachbum

AOL

#3 Feb 1, 2010
I was thinking about hauling containers but after reading some of the post on this port trucker site I don't know now. These container haulers are fighting an every day battle to survive out here. I thought I had it rough but this is crazy what these guys go through.

Since: Aug 08

Oyster, Virginia

#4 Feb 2, 2010
If the majority would stick together this could become a good paying job once again. O/O truckers are like hearding CATS!

Yes, this is a good web site www.porttrucker.com

I am a O/O trucker who hauls out of the Virginia port area where congestion is terrible unless you drop & pick up at night but then you deal with paying drays.

We as truckers are our own worse enemey so the sooner we realize that we have to do something together the better. I am waiting for someone to call a meeting in tidewater that has a standup plan of action. So far we have no group representation in Hampton Roads for container haulers. Hopefully that can be corrected before long.

Since: Aug 08

Oyster, Virginia

#5 Feb 2, 2010
NO, We don't need the Teamsters here with their ban the owner/operator California clean truck plan. We need leadership that works with us not against us. Only truckers who are in this business understand what the true needs are out here hauling containers.

We do need to somehow secure a hauling contract with fair prices that can't be undercut. These one sided motor carrier lease agreements are not worth the paper they are written on. I read where a legal trucker hauling contract negotiated between O/O truckers and several companies can be possible to do but it will take trucker power to pull that stunt off. It's not for the faint of heart.
Cadillacman

AOL

#6 Feb 3, 2010
no dude we don't need the teamsters meddling in our business here in the east like they are now doing at the new jersey ports. if the longshoremen won't help maybe we should start our own trucker union at the ports?
holy crap

United States

#7 Feb 5, 2010
i like spending all day to get 1 can out of a yard for no pay.....oh dont forget to thank snotty jerk offs at the gate
sisco

AOL

#8 Feb 6, 2010
The big T had their bite at the apple but got greedy. Screw em'. Time for O/O's to move on.

Since: Sep 09

AOL

#9 Feb 9, 2010
Teamsters entered into the picture orgainzing truckers first at ports in the east back in 2000. They told us from the very first meetings held they would work on getting us a union contract while we maintained ownership of our trucks. Not a problem we were told over and over from the beginning. Every time this came up at a driver meeting they claimed to have owner-operator truckers within the union. It's been nothing but lies the past four years since this newly formed labor group change-to-win started running their port driver campaign. What ever prompted teamster president Hoffa to hand over the keys to these lieing idiots we don't know but on that day they lost the respect of the majority of port truckers who had faithly remained with them from the start. No, sorry but we don't want anything to do with their half a$$ port driver campaign anymore. Of course we are now back to square one where we started some ten years ago but at least we are not associated with the corrupt teamster leadership that wants to ban the O/O trucker from having the right to ownership.
rachid

Fremont, CA

#10 Apr 28, 2011
nothing is wrong with the teamsters .they are trying to help us make better pay .as it is for now more and more o/o are going broke because of those stupid rates . when i substract my truck expenses i wind up making less than a minimum wage. the better solution is getting the o/o organized for a bargaining power but it is next to impossible and the companies know that and they are exploiting it to make even more money by stealing from drivers. that is why i am all for the teamsters . at least they can shake up the industry and the companies don't like them for the same reason.

“Trucking Is Not A Job-Its Life”

Since: Jun 07

Richmond / Colonial Heights,VA

#11 Apr 28, 2011
rachid wrote:
nothing is wrong with the teamsters .they are trying to help us make better pay .as it is for now more and more o/o are going broke because of those stupid rates . when i substract my truck expenses i wind up making less than a minimum wage. the better solution is getting the o/o organized for a bargaining power but it is next to impossible and the companies know that and they are exploiting it to make even more money by stealing from drivers. that is why i am all for the teamsters . at least they can shake up the industry and the companies don't like them for the same reason.
If your making less then them minimum wage hauling port loads then you need to rethink the way you operate or find a better broker. I've been running the ports and rail yards in Virginia and up and down the east coast for 11 years as an O/O and I was only pulling in less then minimum wage I'd be parking the truck and running someone elses trucks.
29yrporttrucker

Auburndale, FL

#12 May 5, 2011
the teamsters have shafted truckers at every seaport across america with their california clean truck campaign. the campaigns sole purpose is to ban the owner operator trucker from employment using phony diesel soot scare tactics at all major port cities. the teamster leadership in their washington,dc headquarters doesn't give a damn about the owner operator trucker. they have actually come out and said this many times amidst their assault to ban us from working in the intermodal industry. many drivers have paid dearly for trusting the teamsters union to stand up for them. that's not ever going to happen ladies/guys. instead we can look for more of the same from their cozy relationship with the coalition of environmental wacko groups. the teamsters cheap attacks on the rights of the american owner operator trucker are disgraceful even to their own old school membership. think about it, no more ownership rights in america? teamster president jim hoffa has proven to be a corporate lair not a union leader like the old man.
Local 705 Teamster

Itasca, IL

#13 May 8, 2011
One question, why don't the owner operators buy trucks that will pass the emission standards? I don't know the details of the California ports. But I do know the railyards around Chicago. Scumbag brokers quote low rates to get the business away from companies that have teamster drivers. They then farm out the load to an owner operator who will haul for any rate, even a loss. They drive down the freight rates and wages for everone else. They don't have money to maintain their trucks, and some of them are so bad they would be banned in Mexico! Nothing personal against owner operators, but Teamsters have to protect their jobs. The last time we were on strike I remember owner operators rushed in to take our loads.
38years of crap like this

Lithia Springs, GA

#14 May 8, 2011
Local 705 Teamster wrote:
Teamsters have to protect their jobs. The last time we were on strike I remember owner operators rushed in to take our loads.
Excuse the hell outta me, but what did the freakin' teamsters do the couple of times the owner operators went on strike?

They went right on working, that's what. The owner operators went on strike to make the industry better for everybody out there. The miserable ass teamsters go on strike to make it better for themselves. Screw them and their protect MY job attitude.
For the record I have been a member of the teamsters, and I have concluded the only thing that organization is good for is to keep a sorry ass man a job. I have seen teamsters do things they should be fired for, but for the union they keep their job. Not right. There was a time for the unions, but now they have become corrupt, and have priced themselves out of a job. How many trucking companies are no more because they couldn't compete because of labor costs?
That is MY opinion of the teamsters, and other unions as well. Keep all them boyz working so we can keep on getting their dues.....to spend on political campaigns.....so we can have OUR politicians file suit through the national labor relations board when a company like Boeing wants to move to a right to work state and tell the unions to go f_>k themselves.
c2ctrucker

Ormond Beach, FL

#15 Aug 12, 2011
One question, why don't the owner operators buy trucks that will pass the emission standards? I don't know the details of the California ports. But I do know the railyards around Chicago. Scumbag brokers quote low rates to get the business away from companies that have teamster drivers. They then farm out the load to an owner operator who will haul for any rate, even a loss. They drive down the freight rates and wages for everone else. They don't have money to maintain their trucks, and some of them are so bad they would be banned in Mexico! Nothing personal against owner operators, but Teamsters have to protect their jobs. The last time we were on strike I remember owner operators rushed in to take our loads.
I'm not for the teamsters, however, the people willing to haul low freight, no matter what sector of the industry you are pulling for, is in fact driving down rates for everyone else and thereby cutting their own throats in the process. For years we've been doing the same things and imagine this, getting the same results. Until we all decide to stand together and fight for whats right nothings going to change.
getpaid

United States

#17 Feb 13, 2013
If you wanna work for free go ahead, but we all need to stand together to make it better for all of us. Pretty soon nobody will have a job...
downunder

Savannah, GA

#18 Apr 22, 2013
why should i replace a perfectly good running truck and start over making payments to the finance company on a brand new one? that's kind of foolish to piss money away just to please the environmental idiots or in this case it's the teamsters behind these green wackos pushing to eliminate the owner-operator trucker! as far as rates you may find many owner-op's don't haul cheap but enjoy a good living from picking and choosing decent freight. as far as rushing to take away teamsters jobs it appears the union in some areas is creating low pay positions just to maintain a collective bargaining agreement no matter what they have to settle for in order to collect membership dues.

“Trucking Is Not A Job-Its Life”

Since: Jun 07

Richmond / Colonial Heights,VA

#19 Apr 23, 2013
What O/O drivers need to do is form a drivers Co-OP get the drivers together and everyone agree to haul the fright at certain levels. if you can get a major majority of drivers working together at the port they run from or the group of ports they run from. then they can gradually force up the prices of the load. If and I say IF you can get a majority working together then as a group you can negociate with the brokers, much easier to negociate as a group then as individuals.
Lalala la la

Manassas, VA

#20 May 15, 2013
I've talked to a few old dominion O/Os and they are doing very well. Am I missing something or are you guys just leased to screwed up companies???
kocon

Van Nuys, CA

#21 Jul 23, 2013
what do u earn per cxontainer approx miles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trucking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Use OSHA to fight Anti-Idle laws (Oct '07) 1 hr edl 40
Volvo D13 Problems (Feb '11) 8 hr Troady 257
Bad Trucking Companies (Dec '11) 15 hr Allan 167
cr england total scam (Feb '10) Aug 23 Darron 264
Newbie Trucker with Question Aug 22 smokeybandit23 3
Repair shops in Grand Rapids Mich Aug 20 Kat Garrison 1
Beware OF OOIDA's Full Coverage INSURANCE!!!!! Aug 19 RICK107 1
More from around the web