A series of questions for some of you...

A series of questions for some of you idiot truckers

Posted in the Trucking Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joe LaForm

United States

#1 Sep 24, 2010
This is the first in a series of questions for the drivers who continue to entertain and amaze me on a daily basis. Here is the first:
When you pull up to the fuel island, or parking spot, shipper,etc...., why run up the idle so the truck doesn't shut off? If your not going to be in it, why run it, especially when you have to bump up the idle??? Don't you think that's a little stupid????
dum dum

United States

#2 Oct 3, 2010
i donts wanna be waistin me fuel by stoppin n startin mah big rig on up all da time so i keeps it on runnin smoothe n steddy there joey boy.
Tommy

Naperville, IL

#3 Oct 31, 2010
Joe LaForm wrote:
This is the first in a series of questions for the drivers who continue to entertain and amaze me on a daily basis. Here is the first:
When you pull up to the fuel island, or parking spot, shipper,etc...., why run up the idle so the truck doesn't shut off? If your not going to be in it, why run it, especially when you have to bump up the idle??? Don't you think that's a little stupid????
It puts wear and tear on the batteries and starter to shut it off and start it many times a day. That is important if you have to pay for repairs. The anti-idle was not put in because of it being good for the truck or driver. It is for EPA pollution reduction only. BTW, something must have "broke" on my truck. It idles just fine without bumping.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4 Oct 31, 2010
dum dum and Tommy you btoh are exactly what this post is about. I only clicked on it out to get a laugh. First off you burn 1 gal per hour to idle and if you are going to sit and it is nice out shut down the engine and open the windows. Your not going to burn a gallon of fuel to start the truck not to mention the wear on the engine. Not shutting down the engine is only wise when it is extremely cold. Secondly the batteries will only run down after constant repeated starts in a short period of time and the starter is designed to perform this task repeatedly. However, you are right that anti idle was put in the truck for epa reasons and also to assist companies in regulating fuel costs. It was put in to force the installation of APU's which benifits the driver and satisfies the EPA. My truck is equiped with an APU that is fully automatic and is more comfortable than having the truck vibrate all night and it charges the baterries and keeps the engine warm at the same time.
Tommy

Naperville, IL

#5 Nov 1, 2010
Every time you run the starter you put a bit wear on it. If I am stopped less then 10 minutes I usually let it run. Many times a day I momentarily get out to sign in or out of places, find out what dock they want the load in, grab a cup of coffee to go, check tires, stop to use the washroom. If I shut it down every time I got out of the truck for a minute, I would easily be stopping and starting 20 times a day instead of just 2 or 3 times.
Joe LaForm

La Mirada, CA

#6 Nov 2, 2010
Tommy, you do know by just letting it run, that you run the risk of it being stolen. If I'm a cargo theif, or any other kind, I'm looking for the running truck. Less BS to take it that way. It's simple common sense. Batteries are a lot cheaper than stolen equipment and a freight claim.
Tommy

Western Springs, IL

#7 Nov 6, 2010
Unless I am in a safe area, I lock the door.
dum dum

United States

#8 Nov 7, 2010
weel if i had da mooney i'd bee gettin me one of dem dere fancy accuapuncure units meself but i do like tommy and locks da doore. i aint no fool ya kneow cuz i gots me 2 udeer sets of keys hehe!
Joe LaForm

Chicago, IL

#9 Nov 8, 2010
Ok, so do you think a $150 window being broken matters to a thief when there is $150,000 worth of freight and a $100,000 truck and $50,000 trailer? Do you think that locked door is any deterrent to a thief who already sees that the truck is running and you aren't in it? It's just common sense.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#10 Nov 8, 2010
Tommy wrote:
Unless I am in a safe area, I lock the door.
Be careful Tommy, an area can look nice and safe but be very dangerous. I parked my truck overnight in what I thought was a very good area. The next day I found my fuel was gone. There were marks from a pipe wrench on my locking fuel caps. If someone risks jail and loss of CDL over a few hundred in fuel, what would they do for $250,000 truck and load?
joe cool

Cleveland, TN

#11 Nov 8, 2010
Joe LaForm wrote:
I got an idea!!! Why don't you drive your truck and I'll drive mine!!
Joe LaForm

San Mateo, CA

#12 Nov 8, 2010
Well, I do, I'm just trying to find out why "professionals" do dumb stuff. If some of you are as smart as you say you are, why do things that make people think you're a bunch of idiots?
Been there

United States

#13 Nov 9, 2010
Well why don't you tell us about your professional self Big Joe? How long you been trucking, comp driver or O/O, type of truck, what kind of hometime you get, what does the company pay you per mile, stop, etc, how many miles do you average per week, what is your gross pay per week, what kind of CB you have, are you in good physical shape, are you married or been married, any children? I can think of many more, Joe, but answer these questions first so I can determine exactly how 'professional' you are and how much you know.
Billy

Middlesboro, KY

#14 Nov 9, 2010
Here is the real answer why they bump up the idle when there on the fuel island or shipper. Its because some dumb ass taught them to do this. It makes no sense at all with todays engines. I've been driving for 23 years and shut the engine off every time. I've never had a starter go out or batteries go dead because of this. As for cold weather after a truck has been running it takes several hours for the engine to cool down.

Makes as about as much sense as someone pulling up to fuel pumps getting out locking the door and going in to take a shower or go inside to sit down and eat. They think there special an entiled to it. Its because there dumb asses.
Tommy

United States

#15 Nov 9, 2010
Joe LaForm wrote:
Tommy, you do know by just letting it run, that you run the risk of it being stolen. If I'm a cargo theif, or any other kind, I'm looking for the running truck. Less BS to take it that way. It's simple common sense. Batteries are a lot cheaper than stolen equipment and a freight claim.
Depends where you are. If I am in the railyard 50 feet from the railroad cop and his 9mm, I don't see a need to shut it off or lock it up. That is common sense. I climb down fill out the papers and am on my way in 5 or 10 minutes. Outside of the railyard that is a different story, you can be robbed and killed for a few dollars! When I don't know the neighborhood, I keep the door locked when in or out of the truck. That is common sense too.
captain twinkie

United States

#16 May 25, 2012
I haven't been trucking long, but I now not to bump
Up the idle
I seem to lock my truck. When iam not in it. And if they do manage to get in it there is usually a surprise guest in the rig waiting but then we have or idiots infact I saw one a few days ago
Houndog

Prestonsburg, KY

#17 May 25, 2012
Funny nobody gave the original reason driver's left there rigs idling. When you first start an engine, diesel or gas, the oil is in the sump pan and takes a few seconds for it to reach all the bearings with full pressure. Now in the old days bearings and lubricants were not as well designed as they are now so you had a lot more bearing wear. Nowadays with all the advances in lubricants, engines and bearings you don't need to worry about wear. Also battery and starter wear are minimal nowadays. What a wonderful modern age we live in. This comes from 27 years of ownin',driving and fixin' the dang things.

“thoughtful liberal”

Since: Jan 11

Bethlehem, PA

#18 Jun 3, 2012
Been there wrote:
Well why don't you tell us about your professional self Big Joe? How long you been trucking, comp driver or O/O, type of truck, what kind of hometime you get, what does the company pay you per mile, stop, etc, how many miles do you average per week, what is your gross pay per week, what kind of CB you have, are you in good physical shape, are you married or been married, any children? I can think of many more, Joe, but answer these questions first so I can determine exactly how 'professional' you are and how much you know.
11 years, company driver, 2012 KW T-700, whenever I feel like going home,.42/mile, anywhere from 2700 to 3700 miles per week, gross is from $1000 to $1500 per week, Connex 3400HP, yes and yes.

SIR LANCELOT

“I just hate stupid people”

Since: Apr 07

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#21 Jul 1, 2012
I shut my truck off if i feel like it, if i don't feel like it, then i don't shut it off.
Last year i bought a Thermo King Tripac, why? because it will save fuel and wear and tear.
This truck is mine, 84 Peterbilt 359, i bought it used in 88, i am the only one who has driven it.
It has a 425 Cat with a 13 speed and 3:55 rears.
If i stop for a few minutes it doesn't get shut off.
To put it plain and simple: I buy the fuel, pay for the repairs, and run it the way i see fit, and it is nobody else's business why as long as i am running legal.
Way too many people have got thier nose stuck in somebody else's business.

I have been driving for 25 years, owner-operator for 23 years and i am not changing what i do or how i do it for nobody.
Determined trucker

United States

#22 Jul 15, 2012
Also turbos need oil to operate if ur gonna be 5 or 10min it is ideal to idle. When the truck turns off oil stops going to the Turbo(some newer truck have separate oil pumps for this reason) .If you stop and start the truck everytime it can cause wear on turbo which could lead to bigger problems.Second if you learned anything when you got your codling your suppose to let truck have a 5min warm up and cool down When cranking and turning truck off.Third you dont know if that driver has some type of medical condition in were they have to idle the truck to operate certain medical equipment.4th you ain't owned your own truck so how you gonna tell somebody else what they should do when you work as a company driver and ain't got no balls to be ur own boss

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trucking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What do you think of the free Park My Truck App 15 hr roadscholar88 1
What are the reason(s) you became a truck driver? 22 hr been there 3
schneider national sucks (Jun '10) Sun old guy with a po... 193
Volvo D13 Problems (Feb '11) May 19 keltie 244
Bad Trucking Companies (Dec '11) May 19 Justice For All 161
72 hour DOT crackdown???? (May '09) May 13 Sarah 26
News Warning: 1,000 Retailers May Be At Risk To Hackers (Aug '14) May 12 ELISE 4
More from around the web