volvo d16 problems
Art

Richmond, Canada

#164 May 17, 2010
Jwfish64 wrote:
2007 VN780 D16 engine. Lightly loaded with a 35K trailer the engine runs hot in trafic or on long uphill grades. Dealer replaced fan solenoid, but truck is still flirting with the red range in stop & go traffic and climbing even shallow long grades. I'm not pulling a heavy load and it's not summer yet. At idle, i hear the fan cycling on and off, but it doesn't seem to get enough airflow when driving. No obstructions on radiator. Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
HAD SAME TROUBLES WITH MY 2007 vn670 with d16.And it was only stacked half-open termostat.
Toolman

Abingdon, IL

#165 May 18, 2010
Bill I have an 07 D16 500hp and after about 30,000 miles on truck I have had nothing but problems. In march and april it was just down for 4 weeks exactly getting a motor overhaul. I have quit trucking now because I am not fighting this bull any longer with volvo. I probably should have pursued the lemon law but just am tired of the hassles with volvo and volvo dealers, THEY"RE ALL THE SAME
truckerjohn

Rochester, NY

#166 May 20, 2010
I have 3 trucks with d 16 ... THEY ARE CRAP, 1 is in the shop now 534k, they engin is being overhaould now, truck num 2 is in nashville injector blew out,#3 was in the shope last week. volvo trucks are ok NOT W/THERE ENGINES m Sinse day 1 i had problems with the fan cluche braking off and the fan blades going thrugh the radiators. evrything i have is documented. we have a fleet of 24 trucks all running coast to coast no other trucks have these problems.
Bill Sakik

Mississauga, Canada

#167 May 20, 2010
Thanks Toolman,soo whot doyou think about D13 485hp it is diferent/not troubles???I pulling heavy loads everi day 90 000 gross soo what do you think about D13 for that job?Thanks.
Dan

Downers Grove, IL

#168 May 23, 2010
I have a 2009 Volvo 780 at 58mph it has a shimmy in the front new tiers wheels balanced alignment anybody knows what is the problem Thks
shop Grunt

Ste. Anne, Canada

#169 May 28, 2010
TOOLMAN wrote:
Any body have any suggestions?
Could be egr cooler internally leaking or more likely a cracked head.
Mark

Carrot River, Canada

#170 May 28, 2010
Dan wrote:
I have a 2009 Volvo 780 at 58mph it has a shimmy in the front new tiers wheels balanced alignment anybody knows what is the problem Thks
I had same problem that became a violent shake that was so bad I could not control truck. Volvo after six months of investigation changed short shaft between diffs as it fixed many others but to no avail. They just yesterday attached what can be described as a stabilizer shock kit like on a 4X4 front end on the spring shackle and tie rod to counter the shake. Seems to be working so far to mask the problem but the engineers still cannot tell me what has caused the problem. This kit was designed for the air ride front ends to eliminate shake after hitting large holes or rail tracks. So I suggest you get them to jack up back end and check shaft for vibes if that is not fix perhaps the shock kit may help.
Mark

Carrot River, Canada

#171 Jun 1, 2010
Update
Shock Kit not working totally on my unit. Got call from dealer they have a steering shaft coming for truck. I asked what that may do they said perhaps nothing as they are not sure of causes but will give tech some more peace of mind. Great!! We will see.
Mark
Jwfish64

Fairborn, OH

#172 Jun 24, 2010
Jwfish64 wrote:
2007 VN780 D16 engine. Lightly loaded with a 35K trailer the engine runs hot in trafic or on long uphill grades. Dealer replaced fan solenoid, but truck is still flirting with the red range in stop & go traffic and climbing even shallow long grades. I'm not pulling a heavy load and it's not summer yet. At idle, i hear the fan cycling on and off, but it doesn't seem to get enough airflow when driving. No obstructions on radiator. Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?
Problem solved. After Second trip to dealer to diagnose why it was running hotter than my old truck, they confirmed everything is as it should be. It is normal for later model volvo engines to run the temp up higher than the older ones before the radiator fan kicks in. It's more fuel efficient at higher engine temps and with the radiator fan running less, it creates less parasitic drag, thus increasing fuel efficiency. My older volvo never got anywhere near the red portion of the temp gauge, so I was certain there was a proplem. The problem was just my lack of knowlege. I wish the dealer had explained this before charging me another $300 for the second visit to diagnose the issue....
Constantin

Flagstaff, AZ

#173 Jul 22, 2010
Lena wrote:
Steve, contact to me ASAP [email protected]
I can help you to get deal with Volvo.
<qgouoted text>
Got a 2008 volvo 880.Still under full warranty.They had my keys for at least 4 mos.with problems ranging from regen to turbo and then to the injector cups.I'm in Flagstaff,AZ. in the shop,for the 5th time with the injector cups.They have a fix for the problem,but even if you get a kit assigned to your truck and agree to the $750.00 fee for the update,they do not have any available.I've been here for one week and they can't tell me if I'll be abble to get them next week.I do not know why Volvo has a customer support dept.It's just a waste of money.Shamefull
Constantin

Flagstaff, AZ

#174 Jul 22, 2010
I would happily join a lemon lawsuit against Volvo.Give me a shout @ [email protected]
d16 driver

Warwick, RI

#175 Jul 26, 2010
Get rid of the truck asap I have one its a 2007 its a pile u want a maintanence record look at mine payed 140000 for it new and have probly 80000 into it for repairs some of which are the right front air bag 4 diffrent times the left rear seal on the drive axel the leveling valves in the front end the transmission was shot 10000 miles after I got it the warning light for the air pressure active maintenance will not go off the radiator leaks constantly and u can't keep oil in it to save ur ass these r a very few of the problems if u have any questions please email me at [email protected]
d16 driver

Waterloo, Canada

#176 Jul 26, 2010
halfdollar wrote:
I am looking at a 780 w a d16, have heard there are some weight issues on the sterring axle, anyone have experience with this?
The truck weighs 21000 before you put anything on it and ur steers are 11800 empty hard to keep under wieght
Volvo D-16 Owner

AOL

#177 Jul 29, 2010
Toolman, there is no lemon law for commercial trucks..they were exempted from the lemon law. My D-16 is a POS also...I have 383K on truck. Volvo has put 2 heads on truck, now after 15K they say the head needs to be replaced. Bill, you need to look at a different make of truck. Volvo not only has engine problems, but they also have electrical issues that they wont resolve. I never would have believed that Volvo would screw their customers this way, until I experienced it for myself. I am taking this truck and parking it in front of the corporate offices with a big sign telling everyone just what a POS this truck is. I wouldn't buy another Volvo even if they gave it to me...
Bandit

Waterloo, Canada

#178 Jul 29, 2010
There is a lemon law in certain states. I've looked into it. Otherwise you have to sue them. Which I am in the process of doing. Volvo can't do anything but help my case everytime it goes into the shop lol.
Infiniti_G35

Framingham, MA

#179 Aug 8, 2010
Legacy wrote:
<quoted text> Any luck resolving your fuel mpg? having the same problem. Truck was getting 6.5 then dropped off to 4.5-5.3?
What is your mileage?... Don't want to scare you but, my mileage started dropping when the turbo was coming close to... "be replaced"! After getting turbo replaced, the mileage got better. It was close to $4500, parts & labor, truck had 374000 miles when it happened.
Infiniti_G35

Framingham, MA

#180 Aug 8, 2010
People say crap about one brand, then more crap about another, and it goes on and on... ALL TRUCKS ARE THE SAME! One may buy a volvo and have one problem after another, the same goes to petes, kens, freightliners, etc. As for engines... the same... some say crap about volvo engines and praise cummings!?... I've got a volvo d16 and yes, have had some issues; my friend has one with a cummings isx15; it has a major, MAJOR "OIL LEAK" problem that will cost him $$$THOUSANDS$$$ for repair (around $7k...REALLY,NO BULLSHIT!)They told him that many of those engines are having the same problem, and when they pull it apart to service they ship it down to texas to be completely anylised, claiming the block was NOT perfectly built, it is... CROCKED/BENT! So, my point is, doesn't matter what you pick, ANY MAKE, SOME WILL BE HAVING ISSUES!!! Years ago engines were completely mechanic and tough, ran and lasted FOREVER, but nowadays, with all these emissions issues, engines are all computerized and, brake downs and issues are...part of the package!
Infiniti_G35

Framingham, MA

#181 Aug 8, 2010
Jwfish64 wrote:
<quoted text>
Problem solved. After Second trip to dealer to diagnose why it was running hotter than my old truck, they confirmed everything is as it should be. It is normal for later model volvo engines to run the temp up higher than the older ones before the radiator fan kicks in. It's more fuel efficient at higher engine temps and with the radiator fan running less, it creates less parasitic drag, thus increasing fuel efficiency. My older volvo never got anywhere near the red portion of the temp gauge, so I was certain there was a proplem. The problem was just my lack of knowlege. I wish the dealer had explained this before charging me another $300 for the second visit to diagnose the issue....
Jwfish64, you are ABSOLUTELY "RIGHT"! My 670 with a D16 engine is always hot, have spoken to a few volvo technitians and was always told... "don't worry, completely normal, as long as the fan is kicking in and it doesn't go past red, keep it running!"
Volvo D-16 Owner

AOL

#182 Aug 9, 2010
Infiniti_G35 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jwfish64, you are ABSOLUTELY "RIGHT"! My 670 with a D16 engine is always hot, have spoken to a few volvo technitians and was always told... "don't worry, completely normal, as long as the fan is kicking in and it doesn't go past red, keep it running!"
What truley amazes me is that you both believe a tech "from Volvo"..are you kidding me?? If the high engine temps were good for the engine, they would have ran the older engines at a higher temp. They also would not have put a charge air cooler, or an air to air cooler in the truck...these high temps are killing the engines. I have had 3 heads put on my truck, all for the same reason...valve guide seals failed...I suspect it is the extreme engine temps...my engine runs 215 in the day time under a load, and 200 at night. During the daytime, the fan clutch never disengages..sorry boys, that aint normal!!~
Volvo D-16 Owner

AOL

#183 Aug 9, 2010
Infiniti_G35 wrote:
People say crap about one brand, then more crap about another, and it goes on and on... ALL TRUCKS ARE THE SAME! One may buy a volvo and have one problem after another, the same goes to petes, kens, freightliners, etc. As for engines... the same... some say crap about volvo engines and praise cummings!?... I've got a volvo d16 and yes, have had some issues; my friend has one with a cummings isx15; it has a major, MAJOR "OIL LEAK" problem that will cost him $$$THOUSANDS$$$ for repair (around $7k...REALLY,NO BULLSHIT!)They told him that many of those engines are having the same problem, and when they pull it apart to service they ship it down to texas to be completely anylised, claiming the block was NOT perfectly built, it is... CROCKED/BENT! So, my point is, doesn't matter what you pick, ANY MAKE, SOME WILL BE HAVING ISSUES!!! Years ago engines were completely mechanic and tough, ran and lasted FOREVER, but nowadays, with all these emissions issues, engines are all computerized and, brake downs and issues are...part of the package!
really?? wow, how about $11000.00 for 1 head replacement on the D-16...then do 2 of them in less than 2 years...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trucking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
schneider national sucks (Jun '10) 23 hr Current driver 196
anyone know anything about ace doran hauling an... (Dec '09) Jun 23 Pooklar 29
Anheuser bush in Cartersville ga Jun 21 Nomtae 1
Poll which kind of truck driver bugs you the most? (Feb '08) Jun 20 Allison 153
U.S. Express - good; bad; ugly (Jul '08) Jun 19 hans 75
Volvo D13 Problems (Feb '11) Jun 14 kelt 248
How to get a job as a Felony Truck Driver (Jan '10) Jun 13 Kandi 105
More from around the web