Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

I have to take a DOT physical soon. Is the drug screen monitored, as in do they watch you do it? The reason I'm asking is I have a shy bladder and cannot go when someone is in the room. I cannot even go in public restrooms. Thanks.
Mrs Swope

Winchester, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2012

I think that if a person passes the DOT Physical, is honest about their condition and possibly gets a doctor's note stating they are stable enough to drive a truck, then they should be able to drive. this is just like a person who commited a felon gets out of jail and does not get a job and goes back to a life of crime cause our society preaches rehabilitation. but we really don't believe it. it makes me sick. Colonialism sucks
Merle T Cornpone

Dahlonega, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Unless your company requires you to go to one specific physical provider, you can shop around for price and service.
leftn50

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

No it doesn't and no they don't 18 years and never had a drug screen durring physical ..its just to test urine for glucose and blood trust me I have had many many physical for cdl
...u get drug test when u get a job to drive NEVER IS A DRUG TEST GIVEN at PHYSICAL.
leftn50

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

And there are many truckers on medicine for pain ..they have the worst backs out there ...
leftn50

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Why in the hell would anyone offer up personal info and medication list ..are you kidding me??? You don't have to tell anyone because the testing facility CAN NOT TELL ANYONE YOUR MEDICATION LIST ITS PRIVATE THEY ONLY TELL THE COMPANY YOU FAILED AND YOU CAN'T FAIL IF YOU ARE UNDER DOCTORS CARE.and prescribed the drug!!! So FN STUPID SOME PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING! NO TESTING CAN TELL PLACE CAN TELL EMPLOYER WHAT YOUR ON ONLY IF YOU FAILED OR PASSED ...MY WIFE GIVES DRUG TEST .NOBODY HAS A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT YOUR ON -NOBODY!!! WHY WOULD YOU VIOLATE THE HIPPA LAWS THAT ARE THERE TO PROTECT YOU....WHAT YOU TAKE IS BETWEEN YOU AND DOCTOR DONT DIVULGE YOUR PRIVATE medication list ON ANYTHING .....don't put it on any application for employment! Why would you give information that can never be given to anyone ..
leftn50

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Tuvok wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding? If you dont tell them on your paper work as soon as you Pee in the cup and they do the dip with the drug stick it will change so fast you will think you ran through a one second green light....Come on man lets use your head here on this one!!!
/I have been getting dot physical fro 18 years and never ever had been given. A drug screen for a dot physical they don't test for drugs on dot physical only blood glucose you get tested when you go for job ...and then you NEVER GIVE YOUR MEDICATION LIST .your employer gets only this----pass or fail. If you fail the facility ask if you have a prescription for whatever showed up in your urine ....ARE YOU KIDDING???? WHY WOULD YOU VIOlate the hippa laws designed to protect YOU.....the results of test given to anyone is pass or failed and failed is only given not the list of drugs that you failed -its against the law.?? The list of medications is private and the pass or fail is given to the perspective employer.
interloper

Rahway, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

The medication in the original post is prescribed not for snoring but for sleep disorders. Really loud snoring also is a symptom of a sleep disorder or a cause for sleepiness if you cannot get a restful sleep due to your own noise.
I'm surprised you seem to be unaware of what exactly your prescribing doctor has diagnosed you with to prescribe you provigil. It is your responsibility to fallow up with your doc to either work with the DOT regs or to figure out how you ended up on provigil and if you can get off of it. it is basically a stimulant to keep people awake.
----------
per the DOT
Provigil (Modafinil) is a medication used to treat excessive sleepiness caused by certain sleep disorders. These sleep disorders are narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and shift work sleep disorders. Provigil has several concerning side effects such as chest pain, dizziness, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, irregular and/or fast heartbeat, increased blood pressure, tremors or shaking movements, anxiety, nervousness, rapidly changing mood, problems with memory, blurred vision or other vision changes to name a few. Many drugs interact with Provigil which include over-the-counter medications, prescription medications, nutritional supplements, herbal products, alcohol containing beverages and caffeine. The use of Provigil needs careful supervision. Provigil may affect concentration, function or may hide signs that an individual is tired. It is recommended that until an individual knows how Provigil affects him/her, they may not drive, use machinery or do any activity that requires mental alertness.

Drivers being prescribed Provigil should not be qualified until they have been monitored closely for at least 6 weeks while taking Provigil. The treating physician and the Medical Examiner should agree that the Provigil is effective in preventing daytime somnolence and document that no untoward side effects are present. Commercial motor vehicle drivers taking Provigil should be re-certified annually
----------
as you can see it also a big deal because of the side effects of taking it. You shouldn't be taking it if you don't actually need it. Talk to your prescribing doctor.

I'm also surprised by the complete irresponsibility some people are displaying. Class A is a special class because we not only drive for a living but we drive big heavy vehicles. We not only accumulate more risk due to odds but accumulate more risks in that we are necessarily more deadly/damaging than the little tinny baby vehicles around us. We are out there more often and have the capacity to cut a wider swath of destruction. You are professionals. Act like and take your duties seriously or get off the road.
Also it is required that you come clean with your history to the DOT and other regulating parties. This is not an instance of abuse but of ensuring compliance and safety for a special class of driver re: the public.
As well while someone is afraid of bipolar disorder- it is a mood disorder and not a personality disorder or multiple personality disorder. It is also usually completely controllable by medication. There isn't much reason a stabilized person overseen by their pysch and the medical officer and the company wouldn't be able to work around the disorder.
per dot:
http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov/mehandbook/psych4_...
either way you need to get educated on mental illness.

re: Benzos I'm pretty sure are not allowed to be taken by a driver at any time.

re: drug test
all jobs will require a drug test for their files,to stay in compliance with DOT rules and will not hire you if you fail.(you might find a dirty co but prepare to get screwed)
I have never had anyone watch me pee but you will have to go into a clean and sealed single person bathroom with nothing (no bags no coats no place to hide anything i suppose). they also color the water with some solution and ask you not to flush. Idk what for.
bilbo

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Nightrider269 wrote:
Watch what you say dunning your next dot physical. I passed my physical, and the Doc asked what perception drugs I was taking. That's when my nightmare began. I have a perception for provagil. The Doc made me go for a sleep study, at my cost for a perception my personal doc gave me. Don't tell these dot doctor's anything other then name, number, and serial numbers. The DOT has a new deal, where if they choose, they can make you do a sleep test at your cost. I had to do one because I went in 8 years ago about my snoring, it woke my wife up. When our 14 year old dog walks to the front door, she wakes up. I'm just saying, watch what you tell these pricks. It only cost me $500 after 30 years of driving. Because I snore?
You're dead on correct, these guys are the most recent SS incarnations. concentra is the worst, they will fail you just because they don't like your response. The most insulting thing of all is they give that job to a (can u cuss on this site?) G.D. physician ASSistant, usually a 3rd worlder. This did happen to me in ATL concentra. Had to go down the road, tell them they were the first and get passed there. these A.H.'s (concentra) should be run out of business on a rail. The one I talked to this AM told me that it was they're policy to fail anyone they didn't think should be behind the wheel. When I pointed out that that was not what the DOT specified, she said it doesn't matter that was what they were going to do. At least I was able to tell her to piss up a rope. Was B4 I told her my name or company ;)
dave49

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

I got into a car accident.I have a Cdl I blacked out in my car driving. The docs say seizure disorder. Can I still Get my med card.

“Trucking Is Not A Job-Its Life”

Since: Jun 07

Richmond / Colonial Heights,VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Probobly not seizure disorder will disqualify you..
Robot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

interloper wrote:
The medication in the original post is prescribed not for snoring but for sleep disorders. Really loud snoring also is a symptom of a sleep disorder or a cause for sleepiness if you cannot get a restful sleep due to your own noise.
I'm surprised you seem to be unaware of what exactly your prescribing doctor has diagnosed you with to prescribe you provigil. It is your responsibility to fallow up with your doc to either work with the DOT regs or to figure out how you ended up on provigil and if you can get off of it. it is basically a stimulant to keep people awake.
----------
per the DOT
Provigil (Modafinil) is a medication used to treat excessive sleepiness caused by certain sleep disorders. These sleep disorders are narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome and shift work sleep disorders. Provigil has several concerning side effects such as chest pain, dizziness, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations, irregular and/or fast heartbeat, increased blood pressure, tremors or shaking movements, anxiety, nervousness, rapidly changing mood, problems with memory, blurred vision or other vision changes to name a few. Many drugs interact with Provigil which include over-the-counter medications, prescription medications, nutritional supplements, herbal products, alcohol containing beverages and caffeine. The use of Provigil needs careful supervision. Provigil may affect concentration, function or may hide signs that an individual is tired. It is recommended that until an individual knows how Provigil affects him/her, they may not drive, use machinery or do any activity that requires mental alertness.
Drivers being prescribed Provigil should not be qualified until they have been monitored closely for at least 6 weeks while taking Provigil. The treating physician and the Medical Examiner should agree that the Provigil is effective in preventing daytime somnolence and document that no untoward side effects are present. Commercial motor vehicle drivers taking Provigil should be re-certified annually
----------
I take Provigil and have done so since 2003. I don't hav a sleep disorder. I have Multiple Sclerosis. The Provigil is for the fatigue associated with Multiple Sclerosis.
Randy

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Does atrial fibrilation fail a DOT exam?
Randy

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Does atrial fibrilation fail a DOT physical?

“Trucking Is Not A Job-Its Life”

Since: Jun 07

Richmond / Colonial Heights,VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Afib will disqualify you, as it is a cardiac event.
J B Powers

Shawnee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

I have had back troubles in the past leading to Major back pains recently, Through pain management and exercise I have manage to get my weight from 220 to 195, I am 5'9", and I take Percocet (Oxycodone), Mobic, and Flexaril. These are Muscle relaxers, Arthritis, and Pain pills. They are prescribed and I have since taken them for a month with no drawbacks, or withdraws. Will I still be eligable for a medical card If I have a clean system with no history of abuse or addiction, but have a long history of taking these medications. I also have 20/17 vision which i was told was better then 20/20,(nurse said I could read the very bottom line with 2 mistakes, 2 Lines lower then the red line "20/20" vision line) I do have some hearing problems, I was told I need to hear a forced whisper from 5 feet. I will be able to hear perfectly if there are no Bass sounds at the time of the whisper. What are my chances?
ashley

Troy, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2013

Jeremy in Alabama wrote:
has anyone had to take a test for colorblindness when they got their CDL or DOT physical and if not can you recomend a DR that doesnt do it in Alabama lol?
Most doctors in Alabama use the 649-F DOT form...it asks on page 2 if the patient/driver can distinguish among traffic control signals and devises red, green, and amber. Sorry!!
Michael

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

I have driven for about 20 year's on the interstate and intrastate, with total hearing loss in my left ear. I applied for a job in the oil fields and was denied a Dot card due to my hearing issue. I drove for a State Agency and Coke/Cola distribution plant.
bag123

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2013

If I fail a dot exam can I retake it at another clinic
Thomas

Genoa City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Failure do to a Heart Murmur,been driving since 1990,now I'm 51, all the sudden it's a problem.Other previous doctors did not have a problem with it.,this one doctor will not pass me for my DOT CARD! Any suggestions ?? This I s in IL.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Truckers Discussions

Search the Truckers Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Mercedes engine (Nov '07) Aug 16 Gene 23
NEVER work for WESTERN EXPRESS, INC.!!!! (Apr '12) Aug 15 Jbowlin 159
pros and cons of star transportation out of Nas... (Jan '09) Aug 15 This is all Truth 33
Obama vows to act alone, taunts Republicans Jul '14 Amigo 4
US companies that hire Canadian Drivers (Sep '09) Jul '14 Mon 9
U.S. senators, safety groups fight over truck d... Jun '14 barefoot2626 52
First Express (Nashville Tn) (Jul '08) Jun '14 old newbie 3
•••
•••