Watch what you say on your DOT physical

“Trucking Is Not A Job-Its Life”

Since: Jun 07

Richmond / Colonial Heights,VA

#103 Jun 5, 2011
Itb sounds to Me this DR. is putting her own opinion in place instead of hard fact. if anything she should have asked you to take a sleep study before disqualifing you for her opinion.
Thomas L

Austin, TX

#104 Jun 5, 2011
I think she should have said, "Everything's good, but maybe you should lose some weight. Here's your card." Of course, there are many other places to go I suppose.
yacco007

Knoxville, TN

#105 Jun 14, 2011
thomas i personally think that that dr is a quack and sorry to all the quacks reading this but i am only 5'9" and weigh 250+ and have never had any trouble getting my card, i have been driving for 22 years and have a card for another 2 years but going to a nother co after a work comp issue and they want them to check my shoulder out.(tore 3 tendons in my right shoulder.) i can still shift gears and handle the truck but they said they have driver unloads and want to make sure that i can handle that. while in pt i was able to lift 75 lbs to above shoulder hight and more then once or twice $ sets of 15 for pt, so i would go and find a differant dr
Hercules

Salt Lake City, UT

#106 Jun 15, 2011
Do Doctor's report drivers who fail a physical to the State or Federal DOT?

#107 Jun 15, 2011
no, but do report it to the company you work for..
lowbeam

United States

#108 Jun 26, 2011
I dont believe it matters if u are open or lie on physical because most check your past medical records which may be a dot requirement..I am on bipap and been using it for 9yrs now which has been a huge difference compared to b4 i was diagnosed with sleep apnea..Yes it can be a bit expensive if u dont have insurance but on the other hand its something that shouldnt be ignored because with time it will end up biting u in the rear..Im not real sure on the requirements but company dr says im required a yearly mslt test which is a day test to prove the pressure is right and im not falling asleep..My last fall test i was dosing off with correct pressure so he put me on nuvigil and had too retest..So yes since i retested using the meds when i did physical i was required to tell the dr..Maybe someone will know if it is a requirement for the mslt test and let me know,i keep thinking its more a company requirement..In that case i could use my dr and get certified and run owner operator w/o the headaches..Yes its our job out the to be responsible for alls safety but i believe with myself being a responsible person i can determine when enough is enough and park it..Believe it or not i had a man in safety tell me i should had never put it on my 1st physical and i said i couldnt believe i was hearing this from someone in safety dept..If he only knew anything about sleep apnea and how many trucking accidents are from drivers that have never been diagnosed for it b4...As for as cost for test my mslt test runs bout $500 and nite b4 is $1200 which insurance pays most of it..When 1st diagnosed it was done in a hospital at $5000 which is rediculous all because of where it was done and exact same test and equipment used..But if u think u might have it get tested, u will be doing yourself a world of good and feel better, plus less likely have problems later with damaged organs that didnt get the oxygen it needed..
sTRANGER

Sayre, PA

#109 Aug 12, 2011
Midnightrider, writing you the details of deliveries. there is always a chance of getting complication from any normal delivery. it is unfortunate that both babies got the cerebral palsy, but you can't just blame doctors. I am sure that doctor must have tried everything to save or prevent those problems. however, usually the cause for this kind of problem is the mother's anatomy - difficult to pass through type birth canal.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#110 Aug 16, 2011
sTRANGER wrote:
Midnightrider, writing you the details of deliveries. there is always a chance of getting complication from any normal delivery. it is unfortunate that both babies got the cerebral palsy, but you can't just blame doctors. I am sure that doctor must have tried everything to save or prevent those problems. however, usually the cause for this kind of problem is the mother's anatomy - difficult to pass through type birth canal.
He was high on drugs at the time. Nothing was done other then he was no longer allowed to practice at that hospital. It all came out in the civil lawsuites. You somehow have the "doctors can do no wrong" mindset.
Dee Ell

Fairmont, WV

#111 Aug 27, 2011
Every time I go to do my DOT Physical, My blood pressure is borderline high. I have the "White Coat Syndrome" I guess. At home, the bottom number is no higher than 84. Any suggestions?
Jack

United States

#112 Aug 27, 2011
Go to your own doctor and get some blood pressure pills. He can probably give you some free sample packs. Take the pills a few day to be sure they don't have any big side effects. Take and pass your physical, then stop taking the pills if you don't need them.
Dee Ell

Clarksburg, WV

#113 Aug 27, 2011
Jack wrote:
Go to your own doctor and get some blood pressure pills. He can probably give you some free sample packs. Take the pills a few day to be sure they don't have any big side effects. Take and pass your physical, then stop taking the pills if you don't need them.
Okay....Thank you very much. I'll try that.
rags11

Oklahoma City, OK

#114 Sep 9, 2011
I am going to driving school in San Antonio and after reading about the dot physical, i checked everything, when i checked my blood sugar it was about 170-180, should i be concerned and will i pass the physical?

Thanks in advance for the info...

#115 Sep 9, 2011
Normal:
Fasting blood glucose:
70-99 milligrams per deciliter (3.9-5.5 mmol/L)

2 hours after eating (postprandial):
70-145 mg/dL (3.9-8.1 mmol/L)

Random (casual):
70-125 mg/dL (3.9-6.9 mmol/L)

High:
A fasting blood glucose level is 126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L) or higher.

A 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test result is 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher.

Symptoms of diabetes are present and a random blood glucose test is 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher.

if you stay around 170-180 I would get it checked out.
OldguyMobileAl

Auburn, IN

#116 Sep 10, 2011
I've been looking into a second career in trucking as the economy forced me to shut down my construction business prematurely. I was looking into getting a CDL, training, schools etc., I'm at a loss as for who is reputable and who is not. All that aside I read the DOT physical requirement and the drug screen. I'm taking neurotin for peripheral neuropathy and a low dose of hydrocodone for degenerative discs in my lower back. While I have complete control of my body I'm wondering if this is a red flag in the eyes of the DOT folks. Mind ya I can do without the hydrocodone but it makes me a lot more comfortable. Any opinions would be appreciated.

#117 Sep 11, 2011
If you have degenerative discs in your back then I suggest not in any way going in to trucking. it is one of the hardest jobs out there for you back and knees. the climbing in and out of the truck and trailer, the loading and unloading. even though they are "air ride" seats they still give you a pretty good bump and the constant sitting is even worse for a bad back.
Larry

Middletown, DE

#118 Sep 23, 2011
I failed my dot physical. Can I go to another Dr. that will pass me ?
autopainter4

Dallas, TX

#119 Sep 26, 2011
can anyone tell me if benzodiazapinesare allowed with a prescription by a doctor can cause you to fail a DOT physical even if its a low leveland also can a chiropractor thats not an MD say what passes and what fails
autopainter4

Dallas, TX

#120 Sep 26, 2011
sorry should have been a space after bensodiazapine

#121 Sep 27, 2011
being an antidepressent quite possibly. did you tell the DR. before you took the drug test so he knew it was there? if you did not tell him it is a possibility he failed you for that.
autopainter4

Mystic, CT

#122 Sep 29, 2011
yes I tell up front and after I was rejected some one else got passed right after with the same script

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Truckers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wife flashing puffy to trucker (Apr '17) Fri Anythinggoes6 21
"where the hell is the fuel surcharge going to?" (Mar '08) Feb 14 Phil 29
DOT and its stupid regulations. (Apr '13) Jan 25 Kbquest 7
why truck drivers are so fat and lazy? (Aug '11) Jan '18 Hannibb74 35
News European Fleets to Test Electric Volkswagen Cra... Dec '17 Solarman 1
Dot inspection Dec '17 Little Daddy 1
US companies that hire Canadian Drivers (Sep '09) Dec '17 flavorshots 24
More from around the web