Watch what you say on your DOT physical

Posted in the Truckers Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Nightrider269

Excelsior, MN

#1 May 19, 2008
Watch what you say dunning your next dot physical. I passed my physical, and the Doc asked what perception drugs I was taking. That's when my nightmare began. I have a perception for provagil. The Doc made me go for a sleep study, at my cost for a perception my personal doc gave me. Don't tell these dot doctor's anything other then name, number, and serial numbers. The DOT has a new deal, where if they choose, they can make you do a sleep test at your cost. I had to do one because I went in 8 years ago about my snoring, it woke my wife up. When our 14 year old dog walks to the front door, she wakes up. I'm just saying, watch what you tell these pricks. It only cost me $500 after 30 years of driving. Because I snore?
Eric

United States

#2 May 20, 2008
That is outrageous! Was it a company doctor? Last time I had my own doctor do my physical. Before that I had a drunk doctor in Chicago. Snoring tests? Never heard of it. Too bad you got stuck on that one. Thanks for the tip!
Nightrider269

Excelsior, MN

#3 Jun 2, 2008
Update, 4 weeks later, still no medical card. Why? This controlling woman still won't give me my medical card. Why? I don't have any idea. It probably cost me the job. Don't tell these DOT Doctors anything. They'll take things out of context and make your life hill. Just to let you know, I'm 6 ft tall, about 190 lbs, 53 years of age and in great shape. Don't tell these people sheet, some nut case is in control of your future. This is the same office that employees a Doc who fondled me 10 years ago. Yea, a man. So he liked my junk, should have filed a suit back then, but, hope he enjoyed.
Eric

United States

#4 Jun 20, 2008
I know just the job that doc would like. 30 years back and 30 pounds lighter (I was in my mid 20s and 185 back then). I drove from the Chicago area to Madison Wisconsin to deliver and the trucks still had summer fuel, there was a cold snap with a cold wind as I went north. I get there and they had a small dock already in use. I go in and they said it would be a half hour, help myself to a cup of coffee. So I sat down and had some coffee and worked on logbooks. Someone came in and said the Fire dept was looking for the driver of the truck parked in front on the street. I went running out thinking FIRE?!?!? length of post limitation will continue-
Eric

United States

#5 Jun 20, 2008
continue- I go out and the Madison Wisconsin fire dept had the truck surrounded. The summer fuel had gelled in the crossover line and so the one tank was overflowing through the pinhole vent, a little spray of fuel was going on the street and they needed for me to shut off the engine. I climbed up unlocked the door reached in and shut it off. As I was climbing down they said "let us help you down so you don't fall into that puddle of diesel fuel".(continue)
Eric

United States

#6 Jun 20, 2008
I did not need any help, but before I could say anything 4 hands grabbed each arm and leg and kind of body surfed/passed hand over hand all the way across the street and set on the sidewalk. All the hands were going grab-loosten-slide down a couple inches grab again. grabfeelgrabfeelgrabfeelgrabfe el feelfeelfeel. I was thinking what the hell just happened? That rescue manuver would have been appropriate for straight firemen rescueing a playmate of the month, didn't they realize I was a male?(continue)
Eric

United States

#7 Jun 20, 2008
Then I figured out thats why they were so helpful I didn't need any help climbing down they just were looking for a reason to get their hands on me! I went and the company was nice enough to send a fork truck out on the street to unload with a chain and jaw dragged the pallets to the back of the trailer and lifted them out and down and drove each one inside the building. The firemen were all standing by admiring each other in their macho fireman outfits. One of them was daintely sprinkling little pinches of sand on the street. They were having fun!(continue)
Eric

United States

#8 Jun 20, 2008
So after I was unloaded and waiting for the tow truck I asked the dockman if he noticed anything unusual about the firemen (they were still out there maybe to be sure I didn't just restart the engine and drive away). He looked out out and said "that's the "GAY BRIGADE", they are OK, they do their job, they are just gay, every last one of them from that firehouse is gay!" That would be a perfect job for that doc, he could be their company doc! They must of liked me I didn't get ticket or fine or anything. Hate to think how much an EPA fine would cost if that happened today! When I got home my wife asked how was your week? I said you wouldn't believe if I told you.... Anyway your doc reminded of that hadn't thought of that in years. Regards.
Eric

United States

#9 Jun 20, 2008
Nightrider269 wrote:
Update, 4 weeks later, still no medical card. Why? This controlling woman still won't give me my medical card. Why? I don't have any idea. It probably cost me the job. Don't tell these DOT Doctors anything. They'll take things out of context and make your life hill. Just to let you know, I'm 6 ft tall, about 190 lbs, 53 years of age and in great shape. Don't tell these people sheet, some nut case is in control of your future. This is the same office that employees a Doc who fondled me 10 years ago. Yea, a man. So he liked my junk, should have filed a suit back then, but, hope he enjoyed.
Maybe thats WHY that doc likes to give DOT physicals. He gets to grab and say turn your head and cough to all the truckdrivers. Must be a real turn on for him.
jonny rocket

Aurora, CO

#10 Sep 2, 2008
so, how much does a DOT physical cost?
John Lisle IL

Saint Charles, IL

#11 Sep 9, 2008
Can a person pass the physical if you a taking a stimulent for ADHD??(Adderall )if you can show a doctor has perscribed it for you.
Tom

United States

#12 Sep 12, 2008
Eric wrote:
So after I was unloaded and waiting for the tow truck I asked the dockman if he noticed anything unusual about the firemen (they were still out there maybe to be sure I didn't just restart the engine and drive away). He looked out out and said "that's the "GAY BRIGADE", they are OK, they do their job, they are just gay, every last one of them from that firehouse is gay!" That would be a perfect job for that doc, he could be their company doc! They must of liked me I didn't get ticket or fine or anything. Hate to think how much an EPA fine would cost if that happened today! When I got home my wife asked how was your week? I said you wouldn't believe if I told you.... Anyway your doc reminded of that hadn't thought of that in years. Regards.
To each their own, but I hope I dont ever need mouth to mouth up there. That must be why I have heard Madison Wisconsin called San Francisco East.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#13 Sep 12, 2008
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>To each their own, but I hope I dont ever need mouth to mouth up there. That must be why I have heard Madison Wisconsin called San Francisco East.
I wouldn't mind one of them U of W female nursing students.
Eric

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Sep 13, 2008
Midnightrider wrote:
<quoted text> I wouldn't mind one of them U of W female nursing students.
LOL!
rob

AOL

#15 Nov 26, 2008
John Lisle IL wrote:
Can a person pass the physical if you a taking a stimulent for ADHD??(Adderall )if you can show a doctor has perscribed it for you.
yes you can you may need to show you have been taking it before the test and prob will need your doctor to varify it plus have him fill out a form that your not addicted to alcohol and that he feels it in no way will effectyour driving skills
Steve

Imperial, PA

#16 Mar 4, 2009
I had a heart attack about three years ago and understood i had to get a DOT exam every 12 months from now on, not a problem, but this year the doctor would not give me a clean bill of health until i had a stress test done. Is there any body out there that can tell me if this is a requirement that has to be fulfilled every 12 months for someone like me. Thank you Pgh PA.

“Life is just a Moment, njoy it”

Since: Jan 07

Nekoosa, Wisconsin

#17 Mar 18, 2009
Nightrider269 wrote:
Watch what you say dunning your next dot physical. I passed my physical, and the Doc asked what perception drugs I was taking. That's when my nightmare began. I have a perception for provagil. The Doc made me go for a sleep study, at my cost for a perception my personal doc gave me. Don't tell these dot doctor's anything other then name, number, and serial numbers. The DOT has a new deal, where if they choose, they can make you do a sleep test at your cost. I had to do one because I went in 8 years ago about my snoring, it woke my wife up. When our 14 year old dog walks to the front door, she wakes up. I'm just saying, watch what you tell these pricks. It only cost me $500 after 30 years of driving. Because I snore?
I think what the concern was is the after affects from taking what you were taking.

“Life is just a Moment, njoy it”

Since: Jan 07

Nekoosa, Wisconsin

#18 Mar 18, 2009
Mainly the side affects.
DoctorJoe

Augusta, GA

#19 Jul 16, 2009
The doctor who ordered your sleep study was doing the correct thing. If you have a problem with daytime sleepiness, provigil is a good option for the treatment of the symptom, but does nothing to address the underlying cause, which is usually sleep apnea. Failure to treat sleep apnea puts the patient at risk for cardiovascular complications. In your case, apparently you don't have sleep apnea, which is good news, but anyone driving a truck on the roads my wife and kids are on needs a sleep study if they are sleepy enough to require medication for alertness. By the way,$500 is actually pretty cheap for a sleep study. "You prick"...
Nightrider269 wrote:
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#20 Jul 20, 2009
DoctorJoe wrote:
The doctor who ordered your sleep study was doing the correct thing. If you have a problem with daytime sleepiness, provigil is a good option for the treatment of the symptom, but does nothing to address the underlying cause, which is usually sleep apnea. Failure to treat sleep apnea puts the patient at risk for cardiovascular complications. In your case, apparently you don't have sleep apnea, which is good news, but anyone driving a truck on the roads my wife and kids are on needs a sleep study if they are sleepy enough to require medication for alertness. By the way,$500 is actually pretty cheap for a sleep study. "You prick"...<quoted text>
Dr. Joe, I have seen, heard about, and read of some thing related to lack of sleep, taking drugs, and licenses revoked in one state because of causing deaths, to have that person move to another state, get a license in that state and continue to maim and kill more people. I want your perspective on it. I am talking about DOCTORS. Interns on duty 48 hours straight, doctors that come in to deliver babies and are high on drugs. In one case one doctor delivered 2 babies in one overnight shift, making preventable mistakes that resulted in one having severe cerebral palsy and one being paralyzed, both will need 24/7 care for the rest of their lives. If they lose their license for this sort of stuff, there is no interstate cross-checking of revoked licenses. I think doctors should have limits of on duty time, drug and alcohol testing, and if their license is pulled in one state, they should be automatically prohibited from licensing in all 50 states. Do you agree?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Truckers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trucker Chatroom (Apr '08) Jun 23 Ruby 15
why truck drivers are so fat and lazy? (Aug '11) Jun 15 Trucker1 17
New owner operator transportation Insurance cov... Jun 10 Ernest83 12
Female trucker in ky Jun 6 Maintance man 1
pros and cons of star transportation out of Nas... (Jan '09) May '16 martijacobs 42
US companies that hire Canadian Drivers (Sep '09) Apr '16 Jerry 19
Can you make good money trucking? (Mar '11) Mar '16 Jeff Bayless 25
More from around the web