U.S. senators, safety groups fight over truck driver rest mandates

Jun 19, 2014 Full story: Reuters 52

The U.S. Senate is wrestling over whether to repeal federal regulations that require truck drivers to take nighttime rest breaks, with some lawmakers arguing the rules have led to more daytime accidents while other says they are critical to relieving fatigue.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#21 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
why shouldn't all drivers be random drug tested if they are on the public roadways?
Why just drivers?

Why not everyone walking down the street?

Maybe it's a matter of proportion... someone walking down the street suddenly loses control might bang into a pole- and hurt himself- or even maybe walking a old lady with a cane, she may fall down...

But not explode into a ball of fire.

80,000 versus 4,079.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#22 Jun 20, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh...
are you trying to my case?
no at that means? so why not have all people driving on the public roadways have the same regs? especially shouldn't we have those causing the most accidents per mile driven have the most regs? we seem to have it backwards here...

Location hidden

#23 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no at that means? so why not have all people driving on the public roadways have the same regs?
The same regs for someone driving a 4,000 pound automobile and an 80,000 rig?
GreenSucks

Crestwood, KY

#24 Jun 21, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
let's see... 80,000 pounds versus 10-12,000 pounds...
five-six days a week, 50 weeks a year versus five or six weekends a year.
I'd go with the commercial trucks first.
you are correct but!!! These new rules will put more trucks on yhe road... They will ale drivers drive when they should not !!! These are facts !!
GreenSucks

Crestwood, KY

#25 Jun 21, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been in an auto accident in... over twenty years, and the accidents I was in before then were caused by others, most of them, as I recall, said the exact same thing: Officer... I didn't see him...
There is already regulation of "private" citizens via license requirements and short of making them overbearing, e.g., testing every year, the best one can hope for, I would say, is enforcement on the road.
The DANGER of "unrested" commercial drivers is WELL-ESTABLISHED.
The key to this would be (*and I am sure there are studies to back it up, spend a couple million to confirm if you like) of truckers who fall asleep is ***THEY ARE FREAKING TIRED***.
And this is backed by real surveys that have commercial truckers who AVERAGE five hours of sleep.
Working 70 hours a week- and you want them out on the road driving 80,000 rigs and you want to put your wife or your sister or your mother even if she is driving in the left lane (which you aren't supposed to be in anyway) in that Buick with the turn signal blinking for the last 15 miles?
You don't have a clue do you. Just what they (Gov) tell you. Now there will be more trucks on the road and even more drivers not stopping when they should. These new rules are going just the opposite to happen
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#26 Jun 21, 2014
Fact is ntil the compies are regulate to stop pushing drivers beyond what they can do nothing will change..IT IS THE GREEDY COMPANIES THAT I THE PROBLEM PEOPLE.

Location hidden

#27 Jun 21, 2014
GreenSucks wrote:
<quoted text> you are correct but!!! These new rules will put more trucks on yhe road... They will ale drivers drive when they should not !!! These are facts !!
It won't put more trucks on the road.

If you insist that it would put more trucks on the road, the drivers would not be falling asleep at the wheel as THE MAJORITY OF SURVEYED TRUCK DRIVERS ADMIT THEY HAVE in the last year.

If these 4-5000 people killed by truck drivers who fall asleep at the wheel had instead been drinking, do you suppose no action would be taken?

What is the purpose of traffic safety laws?

Why do you suppose buses (and some other vehicles) are required to stop at all RR crossings?

Location hidden

#28 Jun 21, 2014
GreenSucks wrote:
<quoted text> You don't have a clue do you.
DIPSH!T: people I love are out on the road with these drivers that are falling asleep because they are tired and the human body will at some point ALWAYS shut down when it is tired.

Protecting people on the highway IS ONE OF THE BASIC FUNCTIONS OF GOVERNMENT.

Why not end all traffic laws that govern interstate transits- no brake inspections, no regulations of truck weights or lengths, heck, in Australia they have had tractors pulling over 100 trailers (i.e.,+ one mile long)?
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#29 Jun 21, 2014
cancer suxs wrote:
Fact is ntil the compies are regulate to stop pushing drivers beyond what they can do nothing will change..IT IS THE GREEDY COMPANIES THAT I THE PROBLEM PEOPLE.
The real problem is that we have government trying to make people immortal and trying to regulate something that can't be regulated. As for companies, you have no idea what you're talking about. Companies have liabilities they have to consider. Do you think insurance for a car is outrageous? Try to price insurance for a semi.

A friend of mine works for Conway. According to him, if you pull into the terminal two minutes past your allowed hours, they fire you on the spot no questions asked.

We have truck drivers out there that can't even speak or read a word of English. Those guys are the real problem. I've seen them swerve across a highway two or three lanes nearly hitting cars in the process because they can't read the signs on the highway. Companies are hiring these people because they can't find Americans to drive. The harder you make it for an American driver to make money, the less willing he or she is to stay in the business, and then companies will be forced to hire even more foreigners.

Driving a truck is a lot of responsibility, and that should include when the driver needs a break--not government making that decision for us.

Want to make the road safer in regards to trucks? Then let government start writing laws for cars that drive around us. For starters, it should be a law that a vehicle cannot cut into our lane less than six car lengths on the highway. Cutting off our safety distance is the worst thing you can do, especially when the traffic is dense. Secondly they should have a law about driving next to trucks. If you are next to a truck more than 20 seconds, they should pull you over and fine you a couple hundred dollars. That too would be a great help because we need a clear lane in the event there is an obstruction in our lane and we need to get out of it quickly.

That's just a few laws we need for starters. There are many more I can think of that would do a hell of a lot more good than what they are trying to do now.

Location hidden

#30 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The real problem is that we have government trying to make people immortal and trying to regulate something that can't be regulated.
The road can regulated, xxxPinocchio- that is why you lost your license for DUI.

On top of those numerous reckless and speeding violations.

Most people- including people who work for living, which I understand cuts you out- understand the need for trucking regulations that more tightly control how 80,000 pound vehicles are driven on public roadways.

Location hidden

#31 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
We have truck drivers out there that can't even speak or read a word of English. Those guys are the real problem. I've seen them swerve across a highway two or three lanes nearly hitting cars in the process because they can't read the signs on the highway.
Of course, we all know how full of cr@p you are and how quickly you are to produce a these tall tales when OBVIOUSLY: this supposed trucker that swerved across three lanes of traffic nearly hitting cars because they (and of course, you say "them" meaning you've seen this more than once) couldn't read the signs?

Pray tell: how did you know they could not read these signs?

HAHAAHAHAHAH!

You m/f c/s lying parasitic welfare collecting section eight LOSER!

Location hidden

#32 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
Driving a truck is a lot of responsibility
One of the reasons you don't drive trucks, xxxPinocchio.

PS: Let me know how that not driving next to trucks law work out for you.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

He's a thought: LEARN HOW TO DRIVE YOU STUPID AZZ THANK GOD YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO DRIVE TRUCKS ON AMERICAN ROADWAYS!

HAHAHAAHAHAHAH!
boo ya

Virginia Beach, VA

#33 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Want to make the road safer in regards to trucks? Then let government start writing laws for cars that drive around us. For starters, it should be a law that a vehicle cannot cut into our lane less than six car lengths on the highway. Cutting off our safety distance is the worst thing you can do, especially when the traffic is dense. Secondly they should have a law about driving next to trucks. If you are next to a truck more than 20 seconds, they should pull you over and fine you a couple hundred dollars. That too would be a great help because we need a clear lane in the event there is an obstruction in our lane and we need to get out of it quickly.
That's just a few laws we need for starters. There are many more I can think of that would do a hell of a lot more good than what they are trying to do now.
If truckers were so concerned about "safety distance" they wouldn't tailgate like they do - especially down hills. Heavy fines for trucks any closer than 6 car lengths sounds good to me.

If an overtaking truck is next to another truck on a 2 lane interstate for more than 20 seconds, they should be pulled over and fined several hundred dollars. Even better, ban them from the left lane altogether except for the occasional truck passing zone

"Elephant racing" from standstill at traffic lights should be banned as well.

If a truck cuts into a car's lane forcing the car to brake, that should also be a fine.

Disregarding traffic signals or purposely blocking lanes when trying to make left turns across traffic should likewise incur heavy fines.

That's just for starters.......
xxxrayted

Maple Heights, OH

#34 Jun 21, 2014
boo ya wrote:
<quoted text>
If truckers were so concerned about "safety distance" they wouldn't tailgate like they do - especially down hills. Heavy fines for trucks any closer than 6 car lengths sounds good to me.
If an overtaking truck is next to another truck on a 2 lane interstate for more than 20 seconds, they should be pulled over and fined several hundred dollars. Even better, ban them from the left lane altogether except for the occasional truck passing zone
"Elephant racing" from standstill at traffic lights should be banned as well.
If a truck cuts into a car's lane forcing the car to brake, that should also be a fine.
Disregarding traffic signals or purposely blocking lanes when trying to make left turns across traffic should likewise incur heavy fines.
That's just for starters.......
I don't see many trucks tailgating because those are the people that don't last long on the road. Nearly every driver understands that safety distance is of the utmost importance when it comes to staying out of accidents.

Trucks are not like cars. We don't have the ability to whiz by a vehicle as we are passing; especially on upgrades when we are carrying 35,000 lbs or more. Trucks slow down on upgrades. We can only do whatever the capabilities of the truck are. Cars on the other hand can get the hell out of our way in just a few seconds, but for some stupid reason, they insist on driving right next to us, and that goes double for motorcycles.

No driver can help it if he is passing another truck and is stopped by a red light. WTF are we supposed to do? And truck drivers don't block anything when making a left turn. From time to time, we may block the lane to the left of us before making a right turn because that's the only way the trailer will be able to stay on the road. If a truck is blocking a lane making a left turn, it's only because that's the only way to clear the vehicles stopped at the stop sign or light. We have no other reason to block lanes. And that problem is because the city doesn't know where to draw stop lines...... not that people in cars know what a stop line is.
boo ya

Virginia Beach, VA

#35 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Trucks are not like cars. We don't have the ability to whiz by a vehicle as we are passing; especially on upgrades when we are carrying 35,000 lbs or more. Trucks slow down on upgrades. We can only do whatever the capabilities of the truck are.
Then don't pass if you can't clear the lane in a reasonable amount of time.

And don't pull out to pass on an upgrade.
boo ya

Virginia Beach, VA

#36 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Cars on the other hand can get the hell out of our way....
That pretty much sums up the trucker mentality, no?

Location hidden

#37 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see many trucks
Right but xxxPinocchio "sees" trucks weaving across three lanes on the freeway and he "sees" that they don't speak English.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!
boo ya

Virginia Beach, VA

#38 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
No driver can help it if he is passing another truck and is stopped by a red light.
But a trucker CAN help it if they pull into the empty left lane to engage in elephant racing, no?

Location hidden

#39 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
Trucks are not like cars. We...
You aren't a trucker, xxxPinocchio.

Delivering advertising circulars 5 o'clock in the morning from your Geo Metro doesn't make you a trucker, shug.

You are here EVERY DAY, ALL DAY, you can't even come up with a believable narrative.

Wipe your chin, Section Eight.
boo ya

Virginia Beach, VA

#40 Jun 21, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
And truck drivers don't block anything when making a left turn.
Bull, I see it regularly. Truckers too impatient to wait for clear traffic in both directions pull halfway out and sit there blocking one direction of traffic waiting for the other to clear.

An extremely dangerous maneuver, especially at night......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Truckers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NEVER work for WESTERN EXPRESS, INC.!!!! (Apr '12) Aug 30 CPLGarduno 160
female doctors doing dot physicals on men (Jun '07) Aug 26 TANGLEFOOT 119
Eaton Shifting Clutch Production From North Car... Aug 20 Twisted 1
Mercedes engine (Nov '07) Aug '14 Gene 23
pros and cons of star transportation out of Nas... (Jan '09) Aug '14 This is all Truth 33
Watch what you say on your DOT physical (May '08) Jul '14 John 175
Obama vows to act alone, taunts Republicans Jul '14 Amigo 4
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Truckers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••