U.S. senators, safety groups fight over truck driver rest mandates

Jun 19, 2014 Full story: Reuters 52

The U.S. Senate is wrestling over whether to repeal federal regulations that require truck drivers to take nighttime rest breaks, with some lawmakers arguing the rules have led to more daytime accidents while other says they are critical to relieving fatigue.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#1 Jun 19, 2014
Politicians should be required to nap between their 3 martini lunches. Wait, they are continually sleeping at the wheel - never mind.
cancer suxs

Owatonna, MN

#2 Jun 19, 2014
Why I am for laws to make people safe. What needs to happen is regulate truck driving companies to only make driver do what is safe and legal. Now a company can and will run trucker ragged and if caught trucker gets huge fines loses license and job why company keeps on getting rich.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#3 Jun 19, 2014
should every driver have to follow these rules?

it is not the truck drivers causing all the accidents out there...

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
should every driver have to follow these rules?
it is not the truck drivers causing all the accidents out there...
truck drivers have to pass DOT physicals every 2 years, 80 year old men can hop in a RV or pickup truck pulling a camper, and drive across country non stop....no rules or regs for them.

course, most of them drive 40 miles per hour, in the left lane, with their left blinker on all the time...whether they are in an RV or a Buick.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#5 Jun 20, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
truck drivers have to pass DOT physicals every 2 years, 80 year old men can hop in a RV or pickup truck pulling a camper, and drive across country non stop..
let's see... 80,000 pounds versus 10-12,000 pounds...

five-six days a week, 50 weeks a year versus five or six weekends a year.

I'd go with the commercial trucks first.

St. Croix valley

#6 Jun 20, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
yet it is you fools in the Personal Use Vehicles that cause almost all the accidents.

again, why go someplace first? shouldn't all drivers on our public thoroughfares follow the same rules?

Location hidden

#7 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet it is you fools in the Personal Use Vehicles that cause almost all the accidents.
I haven't been in an auto accident in... over twenty years, and the accidents I was in before then were caused by others, most of them, as I recall, said the exact same thing: Officer... I didn't see him...

There is already regulation of "private" citizens via license requirements and short of making them overbearing, e.g., testing every year, the best one can hope for, I would say, is enforcement on the road.

The DANGER of "unrested" commercial drivers is WELL-ESTABLISHED.

The key to this would be (*and I am sure there are studies to back it up, spend a couple million to confirm if you like) of truckers who fall asleep is ***THEY ARE FREAKING TIRED***.

And this is backed by real surveys that have commercial truckers who AVERAGE five hours of sleep.

Working 70 hours a week- and you want them out on the road driving 80,000 rigs and you want to put your wife or your sister or your mother even if she is driving in the left lane (which you aren't supposed to be in anyway) in that Buick with the turn signal blinking for the last 15 miles?

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Jun 20, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
you think a 40 ft RV weighs 12,000 lbs?

Location hidden

#9 Jun 20, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
you think a 40 ft RV weighs 12,000 lbs?
Do you think all RVs are 40 foot long?

Or that everyone who drives an RV is 80 years old?

The Left Coast

#10 Jun 20, 2014
All we need to do is to increase the cost of diesel fuel by, say $3/gallon, and truckers will drive less. If it will work with coal generated electricity, it will work with diesel fuel. Now we won't just increase the tax, we'll have the EPA drastically increase how clean burning a diesel truck must be, and make them comply. Simple progressive logic.

Location hidden

#11 Jun 20, 2014
RustyS wrote:
All we need to do is to increase the cost of diesel fuel by, say $3/gallon, and truckers will drive less. c.
Gosh, the proposal is to limit drive time in the rig to 11 hours per day. brutal.

Half the truckers surveyed admitted they had fallen asleep while driving in the previous year.
fatbacks x

Portland, OR

#12 Jun 20, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
truck drivers have to pass DOT physicals every 2 years, 80 year old men can hop in a RV or pickup truck pulling a camper, and drive across country non stop....no rules or regs for them.
course, most of them drive 40 miles per hour, in the left lane, with their left blinker on all the time...whether they are in an RV or a Buick.
That's what I do! And when dumbs--ts tailgate, I flip the switch on my bumper mounted cat p--s sprayer.
nobama

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Jun 20, 2014
fatbacks x wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I do! And when dumbs--ts tailgate, I flip the switch on my bumper mounted cat p--s sprayer.
How do you collect the fluid in the sprayer?
I can figure how to get the male stuff.
What about the female stuff?

St. Croix valley

#14 Jun 20, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been in an auto accident in... over twenty years, and the accidents I was in before then were caused by others, most of them, as I recall, said the exact same thing: Officer... I didn't see him...
There is already regulation of "private" citizens via license requirements and short of making them overbearing, e.g., testing every year, the best one can hope for, I would say, is enforcement on the road.
The DANGER of "unrested" commercial drivers is WELL-ESTABLISHED.
The key to this would be (*and I am sure there are studies to back it up, spend a couple million to confirm if you like) of truckers who fall asleep is ***THEY ARE FREAKING TIRED***.
And this is backed by real surveys that have commercial truckers who AVERAGE five hours of sleep.
Working 70 hours a week- and you want them out on the road driving 80,000 rigs and you want to put your wife or your sister or your mother even if she is driving in the left lane (which you aren't supposed to be in anyway) in that Buick with the turn signal blinking for the last 15 miles?
you are missing the point...why not do this for all drivers...unrested drivers of any vehicle are unsafe, as and i previously stated, it is the PUV drivers causing almost all the accidents out there, even the ones involving truck drivers..
having a safe, well rested truck driver does you no good if the idiot in the PUV in front of him makes him jackknfe into your car..

yes, drivers should be paid enough so they don't have to work 70 hour weeks just to make a living.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you are missing the point...why not do this for all drivers...unrested drivers of any vehicle are unsafe,
How do you propose regulating private citizens driving?

Are we to carry a log?

What percentage of American drivers are on the road for more than eight hours a day- putting aside what we are talking about is ELEVEN hours on top of transit to and from the rig (in some cases)?

Or- as this proposal suggests- 70 hours in one week?

The Left Coast

#16 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you are missing the point...why not do this for all drivers...unrested drivers of any vehicle are unsafe, as and i previously stated, it is the PUV drivers causing almost all the accidents out there, even the ones involving truck drivers..
having a safe, well rested truck driver does you no good if the idiot in the PUV in front of him makes him jackknfe into your car..
yes, drivers should be paid enough so they don't have to work 70 hour weeks just to make a living.
Good plan - drivers will be paid, regardless of what they are driving (their increased salary for truckers, comparable tax deductions and/or cash for private vehicles) then make them all follow the regs. Neither private vehicles or truckers will have to drive 70 hrs a week. All drivers will make more, the roads will be safer. A progressive win-win.

Location hidden

#17 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
... it is the PUV drivers causing almost all the accidents out there
The number one cause is the truck driver fatigue.

St. Croix valley

#18 Jun 20, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you propose regulating private citizens driving?
Are we to carry a log?
What percentage of American drivers are on the road for more than eight hours a day- putting aside what we are talking about is ELEVEN hours on top of transit to and from the rig (in some cases)?
Or- as this proposal suggests- 70 hours in one week?
why not? and it isn't just time behind the wheel, it is time at work. i only drive a few hours each day and operate the heavy equipment i haul between those times...but the restrictions still apply to me when i drive. any work hours, not just driving.

we usually work 12 hour days minimum...14, 16 hour days are pretty standard for my industry especially up here where we only have 6 months to make money in this business.

St. Croix valley

#19 Jun 20, 2014
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
The number one cause is the truck driver fatigue.
in truck caused accidents, yes, but over 95% of truck/PUV accidents are casued by the PUV drivers...

why shouldn't all drivers be random drug tested if they are on the public roadways?

Location hidden

#20 Jun 20, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>why not? and it isn't just time behind the wheel, it is time at work. i only drive a few hours each day and operate the heavy equipment i haul between those times...but the restrictions still apply to me when i drive. any work hours, not just driving.
we usually work 12 hour days minimum...14, 16 hour days are pretty standard for my industry especially up here where we only have 6 months to make money in this business.
Uh...

are you trying to my case?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Truckers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ohio and U.S. companies in demand for truck dri... (Nov '12) Sat xxxraytred 19
NEVER work for WESTERN EXPRESS, INC.!!!! (Apr '12) Dec 25 6wks and quiting ... 168
US companies that hire Canadian Drivers (Sep '09) Dec 8 gateway trucking 10
so are all truck drives complete worthless fail... (Jul '11) Dec 1 Long Haul Driver 9
Trucker says GPS directed him onto a walking pa... Nov '14 TrknTyler35 1
Free Training for your CDL (Apr '07) Nov '14 Long Haul Driver 224
Nebraska trucker returns bull mastiff to Arizona Oct '14 wichita-rick 3
More from around the web