Can you make good money trucking?

Posted in the Truckers Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
checkers

Riceville, IA

#1 Mar 31, 2011
Can you tell me if trucking is a good way to make any money? My husband has been working a graveyard shift job as an unskilled laborer. Needless to say, he doesn't make a whole lot from it which is too bad he has great work ethic (always there, never late...) We also farm but there is little or no money in that unless you farm thousands of acres which we don't, just a small family farm. My husband is thinking about getting a standard CDL and truck hopefully a local route delivering feed, home most night but gone a couple from time to time too. Do most have to pay fuel or truck repairs? We have a small semi to haul our grain to town but don't want to use it, just use company truck. He was told the drivers at this local co. make 50,000 local or OTR.... I'm guessing he pays for fuel and repairs but really don't know for sure... Any thoughts if this is a good job? What is the difference between a class A (I read you can make more being class A) than a reg. CDL? Any comments would be appreciated.
Tommy

Shorewood, IL

#2 Apr 2, 2011
Talk to that company OWNER to see if he is going to have openings coming up. See if they would take him on as a trainee. If you have your own semi for your farm have him practice, practice, practice backing up. Then take it to DMV and take the driving test. First, get the free CDL study guide from DNV and have him take the written test. Then check and fix obvious broken stuff on the farm truck before going in for the road test. Headlights, tailights, brakelights, horn, mirrors, windshield, hissing air leaks. They won't let you test in it until this kind of common defects are fixed. Class A CDL is for all trucks including semis, "regular" CDL means a straight truck but not a semi.
rodney

Urbandale, IA

#3 Apr 4, 2011
I recently started to truck.
and yes you can make decent money trucking.
you will need a class a col to run a semi.
taking your 3 written tests are fairly easy if you read the cdl manual.
There is a fellow south of Dubuque that you can go to to take your driving test with for a small fee.
Which is well worth it because he will walk you thru what you need to know before you take your test and you will have a very high chance of passing it the first time.
The hardest part is getting someone to hire you if you have very little or no experience which was my case. but I took my cdl lastseptember and have been trucking since last october. Good luck... any other questions I would be glad to help out...

checkers wrote:
Can you tell me if trucking is a good way to make any money? My husband has been working a graveyard shift job as an unskilled laborer. Needless to say, he doesn't make a whole lot from it which is too bad he has great work ethic (always there, never late...) We also farm but there is little or no money in that unless you farm thousands of acres which we don't, just a small family farm. My husband is thinking about getting a standard CDL and truck hopefully a local route delivering feed, home most night but gone a couple from time to time too. Do most have to pay fuel or truck repairs? We have a small semi to haul our grain to town but don't want to use it, just use company truck. He was told the drivers at this local co. make 50,000 local or OTR.... I'm guessing he pays for fuel and repairs but really don't know for sure... Any thoughts if this is a good job? What is the difference between a class A (I read you can make more being class A) than a reg. CDL? Any comments would be appreciated.
tiger eyes

Riceville, IA

#4 Apr 5, 2011
rodney wrote:
There is a fellow south of Dubuque that you can go to to take your driving test with for a small fee.
Which is well worth it because he will walk you thru what you need to know before you take your test and you will have a very high chance of passing it the first time.
The hardest part is getting someone to hire you if you have very little or no experience which was my case. but I took my cdl lastseptember and have been trucking since last october. Good luck... any other questions I would be glad to help out...
<quoted text>
Thank you. Can I ask if you are a local driver or drive OTR? I think there is someone over by mason too that does the same as Dubuque for a fee and he has picked up the manual. We have a small semi, a fleet truck (automatic) that we use here.
checkers

Riceville, IA

#5 Apr 5, 2011
rodney wrote:
<quoted text>
Can I ask, are you one of TB's people N. of C.C.? He's semi interested in my hub if he gets his CDL.
checkers

Riceville, IA

#6 Apr 5, 2011
Tommy wrote:
Talk to that company OWNER to see if he is going to have openings coming up. See if they would take him on as a trainee. If you have your own semi for your farm have him practice, practice, practice backing up. Then take it to DMV and take the driving test. First, get the free CDL study guide from DNV and have him take the written test. Then check and fix obvious broken stuff on the farm truck before going in for the road test. Headlights, tailights, brakelights, horn, mirrors, windshield, hissing air leaks. They won't let you test in it until this kind of common defects are fixed. Class A CDL is for all trucks including semis, "regular" CDL means a straight truck but not a semi.
Thanks, there is someone local but is always looking which makes me leary but I guess that's just the trucking business. Our truck is a small fleet truck that is similar to what Budweiser or Pepsi would use, it isn't a full size semi. Everything is good on it (I think) but would need to check on the air leaks. We have the CDL book, I will let him know he needs the class A and not just reg. CDL but I think he already knows this, I'll have to double check. I guess the big thing is passing the test, written and driving! Thanks, you've been helpful too!
Tommy

Shorewood, IL

#7 Apr 9, 2011
checkers wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, there is someone local but is always looking which makes me leary but I guess that's just the trucking business. Our truck is a small fleet truck that is similar to what Budweiser or Pepsi would use, it isn't a full size semi. Everything is good on it (I think) but would need to check on the air leaks. We have the CDL book, I will let him know he needs the class A and not just reg. CDL but I think he already knows this, I'll have to double check. I guess the big thing is passing the test, written and driving! Thanks, you've been helpful too!
Good luck on the test. About the money, CAUTION it can range from good to almost nothing. There can be a lot of unpaid time away from home waiting for loads. That is stressful on a family!
Midnightrider

Elgin, IL

#8 Apr 11, 2011
Don't quit your present job until you have the new one lined up.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#9 Apr 16, 2011
I believe the only way you can make any money in Trucking is to be a company driver PAID BY THE HOUR if your just starting out you could find something at $12.00 PER HOUR OR MORE!!!
wITH 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE NO ACCIDENTSyou should be able to find something for about $15-$19
None of this .33-.35 cents per mile stuff!
I will say to you now STAY AWAY FROM ANY COMPANY THAT OFFERS YOU PIECE RATE PAY like cents per mile!!!
Checkers

Riceville, IA

#10 May 2, 2011
Thanks everyone for your input! Much appreciated.
Chase

Dallas, TX

#11 Nov 2, 2011
First of all do not work for a company hourly. Do not work for a company by mileage either. Only work for a company that gives you a percentage of what the load pays such as 25% thats where the money is to be made. Im an owner operator and I charge what I want, but I have drove for a company before and that's where I learned my tricks of trade.
Sal

Shorewood, IL

#12 Jan 10, 2012
Chase wrote:
First of all do not work for a company hourly. Do not work for a company by mileage either. Only work for a company that gives you a percentage of what the load pays such as 25% thats where the money is to be made. Im an owner operator and I charge what I want, but I have drove for a company before and that's where I learned my tricks of trade.
If the rate is too low you make crap. Garbage freight rate times 25%=CRAP.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 Nov 25, 2012
Yes...mileage pay is only good for those who just like to drive, just to drive...

But if you like to get bang for your buck...than % pay is the way to go...

Experienced drivers who like to make money...realize what a sham all that 'Get all the miles you want' logos are...

An experienced o/o can earn from $200-$600 a day, and never leave the city limits...

But that's usually intermodal freight or sea freight, like containers...

“Just Another Truck Driver!”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#15 Nov 28, 2012
I am an over the road driver company driver for 13 years, my checks are pretty good, over $50,000. a year. I would rather work local and be home every night but I can not find as job that pays that much local, neither driving or factory job. I did have a dedicated route for 5 years that I drove 650 miles a day, and worked 5 days one week 4 days the next, I loved it, now I have no idea when I will be home usually 1 1/2 to 2 days off a week.

“Pancakes and eggs...”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#16 Nov 29, 2012
Unless your working local rail or 'intermodel' and or 'Port' freight, as a O/O or driving for one, it's kind of hard to be home daily or work a 9-5 type of schedual...

Of course unless your willing to move down to like a class B type position..box truck, gas truck, warehouse ect ect..
eliot

United States

#17 Dec 11, 2012
based in hours of work and the time sleeping in truck like dog,I say you wont make money.
eliot

United States

#18 Dec 11, 2012
It's worthless,no life,no family no friends.....
Also truckers are the most unpaid workers,let's say you drive 1000 miles,you will get paid about 900 miles.trucking companies they steal drivers and nobody cares,even our government for which we the people pay the taxes.
David

Escondido, CA

#20 Feb 16, 2013
what about ouor tax return? I am an IC and made over $120,000 last year. What can I excpect to get back?
YAP-YAP

Kingsford Heights, IN

#21 Aug 10, 2013
You make over $120000 and you expect to get some back. what the heck is wrong with you?!! Don't you make enough to pay you freaking bills. are you trying to be rich in a year?
David

Pretoria, South Africa

#22 Apr 23, 2014
Hi... I would like to know whch company can use my truck to make money for me and themselves... I have a hundai h100... 1.4 ton with a huge canoppy.. less than 60 000 km

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Truckers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watch what you say on your DOT physical (May '08) Aug 22 Adam 181
so are all truck drives complete worthless fail... (Jul '11) Aug 20 Dave 10
NEVER work for WESTERN EXPRESS, INC.!!!! (Apr '12) Aug 20 kane6950 182
News American Trucking Industry Could Lose 8.7 Milli... Aug 13 Pete 1
comershial insuranse Aug 5 danuta 1
Jod sucks Jul '15 Truck driver 1
East West trucking of Black Hawk SD Jul '15 Sarge 1
More from around the web