Rude Hungarians
Sigbjorn heie

Budapest, Hungary

#1 Dec 3, 2007
Hello!

I am working with tourists in Hungary, and have received very shared response from the tourists that I speak with. Some people say they are so nice, while others complain about the lack of english knowledge and that they do not really like tourists. I normally work among Norwegians and it seems to me as if 50% really enjoy the Hungarian fellowship, while the other part like the nation and Budapest, but the people are not really so enjoyable.

Anyone want to share their experiences with me?

Sigbjorn Heier
http://touristguide.gyuli.com/
Clockwork30

Brattholmen, Norway

#2 Apr 8, 2012
Hi! I went to Budapest with 2 friends on a weekend trip recently. The city is great, there were so many sights to see, beautiful buildings and museums, so i think its worth a visit.

However, we did encounter som really rude locals.
For no apparent reason, bartenders will curse at you or have this annoyed look on their faces when serving you. Sometimes they might even avoid you all together, just so they dont have to speak english. The times we tried to speak to locals, they would seem annoyed as well, and one person even ansvered agressively back in his own language.

The result was that tourists mingled among themselves. We eventually met some americans, poles and australians, and their experience was the same as ours.

Allthough we all loved the city, we didnt understand why the locals would be so offended by our visit there. They could randomly ask questions like " why are you here ?" " Why choose Budapest"?

Strange attitude. Shouldnt they be glad we visit and proud of their beautiful city instead ?
Erika

Malden, MA

#3 Jan 2, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your negative experience. While rude people exist everywhere, I think your experience was largely due to a cultural misunderstanding. Hungarians express emotions differently than Americans. In America,smiles and over friendliness is the default state, while in Hungary neutral expression (which often comes across to foreigners as rude or "annoyed") is the default. Extroverted, animated, overly friendly behavior is mostly reserved only to those closest to you. To help you understand, for Hungarians the American way of social behavior can come across as fake and overly enthusiastic and friendly. To give another example, Hungarians are puzzled how Americans can call people they have only met a few times or only know superficially "friends". Hungarians only call a handful of people they have known for years and are very close to, friends.
With regards to the complaint about them often not speaking English; they wouldn't expect you to speak Hungarian when they visit the US, would they..? ;)
attila

Constanta, Romania

#5 Nov 3, 2013
they are rude and they don't like nobady,they don't give rights to the minority how lives there.
sam

Dania, FL

#6 Dec 17, 2013
I agree with some assessments about hungarians. My wife's cousin I met when we moved to budpaest. She was so nice with me and flirty and my marriage is not going well for at least 5 yrs so I'm hot for this cousin and she seems like she liked me with all the signs when we were together.After returning to the states, we texted in the beginning from time to time as a family type texting but I tried to initiate more texts and she never opened conversation with me nad whenever I try to text,after waiting and giving her time to start up a conversaition via facebook,she gets angry a lttile and makes excuses all the time why she didnt write back.I don't know if this is the norm amongst hungarians because she even gave me mixed messages thru facebook saying she might get a job in London and it would be great if we would move there so she can be close but then when I texted here a month later asking how that job came about , she never responded adn then I write back again the next day asking her if she received my messgae and then AGAIN, she starts with the excuses that she had a presenatation to do at work but all the same time,you can see her sharing sites on facebook with all her friends so she still had time to do that.How do I take this message from her, she comes to me and then backs off and acts like I'm annoying her. Is this the norm amongst eastern europeans and Im just taking it too personally? Please help someone. I'm falling in love with her nad I know she likes me very much always saying kisses in her letters when she responds but no depth in her letters.
Andre

Siena, Italy

#7 Jan 18, 2014
I had a very bad experience with hungarian in Budapest. Iwas with my girlfriend for 4 days in Budapest, we liked so much the city but the hungarian were non polite with us and I don't know why.
Timothy

Midland, MI

#8 Jul 26, 2015
My family went to Hungary and were very disappointed by the rude Hungarians. They left that country and went to Italy, where everything was worth spending and enjoying vacation time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Travel/Tourism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Coast Guard Searching for Missing Carnival Crui... May 14 true story 1
News Suite dreams: from invite-only rooms to mini ma... May 4 Prince Fan 1
News GE, Starwood warn North Carolina governor Apr '16 Shirvell s Shrivel 4
News Seattle: Four Seasons Opens in Seattle; Bill Ga... (Nov '08) Jan '16 lukyk9 4
Moving overseas Jan '16 martha555 1
News Royal Caribbean receives perfect LGBT rating, e... Nov '15 Fa-Foxy 3
News What we should have done on our first Carnival ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Jo Bob 2
More from around the web