Disappearing Destinations, Have you been to any?

Posted in the Travel/Tourism Forum

mbirni11

Glasgow, UK

#1 Jan 21, 2013
Hi,

I am a student at Glasgow Caledonian University, Studying International Tourism Management. I am in my 4th year and currently writing my dissertation. My dissertation is on the trend Last chance Tourism and to what extent it can be used as a method of sustainable tourism.

Last Chance Tourism is the visitation to places where natural heritage and wildlife are seen to be disappearing due to climate change, rising sea levels and destruction of natural habitat. Such examples include:

Glacier National Park, USA;
polar bear viewing, Canada;
Great Barrier Reef, Australia;
seeing mountain Gorillas, Africa;
seeing orangutans, Borneo;
climbing Mt Kilimanjaro before ice caps melt;
visiting Maldives before it is submerged

I would be really interested in hearing from people who have visited such destinations, what you experienced and learned from their trip. Did you come back more environmentally aware? Were you told anything about conservation efforts taking place? Would you go again?

All responses would be greatly appreciated and help towards my dissertation.

Thanks
mbirni11

“Happy days :)”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2 Jan 22, 2013
mbirni11 wrote:
Hi,
I am a student at Glasgow Caledonian University, Studying International Tourism Management. I am in my 4th year and currently writing my dissertation. My dissertation is on the trend Last chance Tourism and to what extent it can be used as a method of sustainable tourism.
Last Chance Tourism is the visitation to places where natural heritage and wildlife are seen to be disappearing due to climate change, rising sea levels and destruction of natural habitat. Such examples include:
Glacier National Park, USA;
polar bear viewing, Canada;
Great Barrier Reef, Australia;
seeing mountain Gorillas, Africa;
seeing orangutans, Borneo;
climbing Mt Kilimanjaro before ice caps melt;
visiting Maldives before it is submerged
I would be really interested in hearing from people who have visited such destinations, what you experienced and learned from their trip. Did you come back more environmentally aware? Were you told anything about conservation efforts taking place? Would you go again?
All responses would be greatly appreciated and help towards my dissertation.
Thanks
mbirni11
Dear Friend,

I have read your posting. very interesting. have you started your project?. is it only the above mentioned places or you can add more ? kindly reply me

Regards,
Roger
mbirni11

Glasgow, UK

#3 Jan 23, 2013
Hi Roger

yes i started the project just before Christmas
The places i have mentioned are the most common amongst travel and lifestyle publications, being mentioned repeatedly. But each publication has different ones as well, Venice and the Florida everglades are others that have been mentioned, so yes feel free to add more if you wish.

Regards,
mbirni11

“Happy days :)”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4 Jan 24, 2013
mbirni11 wrote:
Hi Roger
yes i started the project just before Christmas
The places i have mentioned are the most common amongst travel and lifestyle publications, being mentioned repeatedly. But each publication has different ones as well, Venice and the Florida everglades are others that have been mentioned, so yes feel free to add more if you wish.
Regards,
mbirni11
Hi,
if some one suggest a place that is now disappearing . Then how do you find out that information is worthy or fake?

Roger
Kasia

Aberystwyth, UK

#5 Monday Feb 2
Hi Guys,
I'm writing my dissertation on the topic 'How are media influencing the perceptions of tourists on íLast Chance Tourismí in context of sustainability?'. Could you spare couple minutes to do my questionnaire? I would appreciate it.
Thank you
Kasia

Aberystwyth, UK

#6 Monday Feb 2
Hi Guys,
I'm writing my dissertation on the topic 'How are media influencing the perceptions of tourists on íLast Chance Tourismí in context of sustainability?'. Could you spare couple minutes to do my questionnaire? I would appreciate it. There is a link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T2QLJDT
Thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Travel/Tourism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wyndham CEO: Appeal is strong for time shares (Mar '07) Feb 24 taroB 295
Tourism in Scotland Research (Apr '11) Feb 22 jamesonaugust 4
Nepal, Adventure travel (Mar '13) Feb 20 Jairam 3
Why visit Armenia Feb 11 Davo333 2
Steven Curtis Chapman joins SeaWorld's Praise W... Feb 10 Jeff 1
Travelers' picks for the best hotels in the U.S... Jan '15 himalayastrek 1
Travel Gear Jan '15 Steve2015 1
More from around the web