Remote-control XPV debuts

Full story: Daily News

One if by land, two if by sea, three if by land and air? Toy-lovers can navigate both dirt and sky with the XPV, a new radio-controlled gizmo made by JAKKS Pacific Inc.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of86
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ernest Butler

North Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2006

I would like to state that the original flying boat was called the Hydro Foam and was conceived and designed by Michael Connally and Myself. We made a video that spread over the Internet. We then sold the rights to the Idea and design to SpinMasters.
JAKK's is just using this idea with no rights or acknowledgment to the inventors.
Too Bad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

Awe, poor baby. Why didn't you market it instead of patting yourselves on the back and now whining that someone stole your idea. Oh, here's a thought! Since you DIDN'T market the idea, maybe someone else thought of the same thing you did. Ever consider that Genius?
Royce

Tyler, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2006

I purchased an XPV. We flew it for the first time and it is a piece of crap. Does not fly stable at all. It took a nose dive into the field, breaking an engine loose and the prop hit the shroud and broke a blade off. I gave $80.00 w/battery for this piece of crap. I contacted Jakks and they responded saying sorry we don't have any parts, however you can purchase a new one from Walmart. I would not have another crappy XPV if you gave it to me. I would recommed maybe looking at the Airhog instead.
Ben

Loveland, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2006

well ernest if it makes you feel any better, it has nowhere near the control of the SL, and isnt quite as fun, just curious if you bought one?
Rob G

Regina, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2006

Royce wrote:
I purchased an XPV. We flew it for the first time and it is a piece of crap. Does not fly stable at all. It took a nose dive into the field, breaking an engine loose and the prop hit the shroud and broke a blade off. I gave $80.00 w/battery for this piece of crap. I contacted Jakks and they responded saying sorry we don't have any parts, however you can purchase a new one from Walmart. I would not have another crappy XPV if you gave it to me. I would recommed maybe looking at the Airhog instead.
I agree completely that the XPV is a total piece of crap. I bought one today and returned it after flying it twice. 1 hour to charge and 5 minutes of flying time is a joke! The clerk at the store said that they had many returns of the XPV. I bought an Air Hogs Aero Ace for $39 and although it's no stellar performer either, it's A LOT more fun to fly.

Rob
shon

Fresno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2006

it was fun, but it still needs an ejustments and its not stabe at all.
EARLE

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2006

Well folks - I hear your pain about the XPV but I have a different take on it (and the Storm Launcher). the XPV IS NOT a beginners plane! It can fly great but it really is unstable in turns if you don't know how to fly it. It takes a VERY quick set of bumps to turn. ANY hold on the turn and you will crash it. YOU MUST do some very low level rises off the ground and reland to get a feel for how fast it flys. It will take off fast and fly like a jet if you are light on the throttle and turns. It will do a great fast roll but you had better be up 50 or more feet because it drops as it rolls. Butn I have gained pretty good control over it and find it a very fasinating plane to fly. Takeoffs and touch and goes are a blast. One big issue i have with it compaired to the Storm launcher is that there are no trim controls so you have to fiddle with the vertical stabilizer to get it to fly and take off streight. But over all I find I am enjoying the challengs it's flying posses and find it woith my money. I will say that I had to glue and tape the prop guards back together after crashing it several times in learning to fly it. I have also taped up the nose, "sponsons" and tail pieces so that they can take a harder beating because it is true that the company will not support any parts replacements. I ham especially worried abou tthe props and wheels (as well as the tail skid which at least you can cut a piece of plastic to replace).

I have been flying RC for a couple of years and have one really fast semiaerobatic plane as well as 6 Spin Master AeroAces (in variouse wing configurations),2 Spinmaster F16s and the Aeroace jet. I love um all. I had the Storm Launcher for a while but really dind't like it much. I didn't feel it flew at all well in the beginners mode and even in expert it was not a good flyer. It certainly was no more stable then the XVP. So I ended up taking it back. Maybe I just had a bad one but I have to admit I like the looks of the XVP a lot more.
Anita Crippen

Van Buren, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2006

My son wants an XPV and I want to know if a 10 yr old can drive one and if it is worth the price
mike b

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2006

i have been an r/c plane and helicopter pilot for 20years, tried one of these and do not recommend for anyone, very poor control at low speeds needs full throttle to make effective, really poor no spares either
EARLE

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2006

Anita Crippen wrote:
My son wants an XPV and I want to know if a 10 yr old can drive one and if it is worth the price
I'm afraid I would have to say "no". I think it might end up being a real frustration. Better he gets the Aeroace biplane and if he gets use to it then strip the lower wing and wing supports off and fly it. Its a great beginners plane that even us old guys have a lot of fun with.
JFox

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2006

Anita Crippen wrote:
Not worth the price! AeroAce includes built-in LiPo flight battery and is easy for anyone of any age to fly. The XPV does not go on water like the Storm and it requires LOTS of room to fly or drive. Driving on asphalt is very difficult and grass is impossible. Do the kid a favor and just say no!(My kids bought the XPV for my birthday, bummer. I just bought them and myself the Aero Aces and we have a blast with them.) The $25 (at Toys-R-Us) Aero Aces are well worth the price, more fun and crash worthy than anything on the market.
Eliot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2006

I have never tried a Flywheel. I would think it would work great, but I guess Royce must be right. After all he has tried it and I have not.
Eliot

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2006

Write back, ill check in later
jman

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2006

xpv looks cool but my friends literally disintigrated the second it took off- i saw it myself, the props and left wing fell off!!
jman

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2006

Anita Crippen wrote:
im 11 and crashed a high performance rc aircraft. the xpv is much harder so therefore - seriously no offense- no way
Kellbell

Concord, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2006

I'm glad I read all these. My 12 year old wants one too. I asked the salesmen at Radio Shack how durable it was when it crashed because it didn't look durable. Guess what he said? Yep, he said it was very durable. Thank goodness I didn't buy one.
Daniel

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2006

Earle, where did u get all those planes?? i wish i had some. But is the XPV really good to fly when u get used to it or not coz i;m thinking of buying one
J Amos

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2006

I am at a loss regarding lingo for remote control airplanes and may be at the wrong web site for info. but can anyone tell me if an Air Hog land and sea plane would be appropriate for an 8 yr. old beginner or what would be good? It sounds as if the general consensus is that the Aeroace biplane would be good but is there anything else that would also go on land and water? Thanks so much!
paul

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2006

Really wanted one for my 8 year old. The plane was 70,the battery was 30, which wasn't so bad untill I saw the 5 minute run time and the 45 minute charge time in which you can only charge in a wall plug. Had a change of heart unfortunatly, because it looks fun.
Coriander

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2006

I am also looking for an easy to use land and sea remote control vehicle for an 8 year old beginner. Any suggestions?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of86
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Toys Discussions

Search the Toys Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Birthday Present Apr 6 Melissa 1
meez vips? (Feb '09) Mar '14 stop fake accounts 415
who has any free weeworld accounts with gold po... (Feb '10) Mar '14 gillyxoxo 164
www.izzistore.eu Feb '14 Online toy retailer 1
Mattel stung by Barbie, Fisher-Price sales drops Feb '14 customer 1
Happy 50th birthday, GI Joe Feb '14 Local 1
How to Get Free Baby Diapers? (Sep '12) Feb '14 Baby Diapers Online 5
•••
•••
•••
•••