Doing more with less: Some jobs that ...

Doing more with less: Some jobs that have been cut aren't necessari...

There are 14 comments on the Pasadena Star-News story from May 16, 2010, titled Doing more with less: Some jobs that have been cut aren't necessari.... In it, Pasadena Star-News reports that:

Some call it the new business model. Others say it's simply doing more with less.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pasadena Star-News.

cd-r

Orange, CA

#1 May 17, 2010
Teachers should be telling students DON'T borrow money to go to college. In 4 years there won't be any jobs but there will be collection agencies going after student loan debt. If you can't afford college, DON'T GO. Or take 1 class at a time. Or take some business classes at PCC and then try to get a job at Wells Fargo and stay there for 20 years. Or stock shelves at Wal-Mart. That's better than being hounded by Sallie Mae for the rest of your life. Teachers who pressure students to get into debt to go to college are the worst kind of slimeballs. I am so glad measure CC lost by a landslide.
been there

Azusa, CA

#2 May 17, 2010
What my former company did was hire "temps". I lost my job due to "job elimination" only to be replaced by a temp. She left after one year after finding out she wouldn't be hired, and was then replaced by another temp. Everyone there has to do multiple jobs and the stress level is crazy. BUT, all the upper management jobs stayed.....funny.
tyb stick in cali

Pasadena, CA

#3 May 17, 2010
It should be no surprise that businesses are operating 'leaner & menaer",emphsis on the "meaner"! During the last boom, some businesses were given tax breaks, and given their booming sales were expected by the Republicans to "trickle down" to the middle-class. Instead they poured their profits into upper management and shareholders. Fast forward to 2010: SOME PEOPLE want to give tax breaks back to the wealthy and big business under the excuse "it will create jobs". Guess they did not learn from last time...

Since: Dec 09

Beaverton, OR

#4 May 17, 2010
Job loss during a recession/depression like we're having is a sad reality. I know, I've been through more than one of these economic cycles and found myself out of a job. BUT... I did not sit around and pess and moan about Waaaa I don't have a job, somebody better gimme one. I got up and MOVED to where there were jobs, and that's what a lot of these lazy butt whiners need to do. You do not have a god-given right to live in the same city you grew up in for the rest of your life and be guaranteed good employment while you're there. You have to adapt, reinvent yourself, relocate yourself, whatever it takes. Don't blame the companies, blame the government for its part in lengthening and deepening this awful time that is upon us.
Jacket

San Dimas, CA

#5 May 17, 2010
Yes blame the com[panies, for shipping all those jobs off shore!

Those same companies are also ducking their responsabilty for paying their fare share of taxes - meaning off shore accounts or mail boxes in a two story building along with 200 other companies.

Buy american made products!

That includes the lead, thats in lead heads trunk, where he store his brains.
cd-r

Orange, CA

#6 May 17, 2010
Jacket wrote:
Yes blame the com[panies, for shipping all those jobs off shore!
Those same companies are also ducking their responsabilty for paying their fare share of taxes - meaning off shore accounts or mail boxes in a two story building along with 200 other companies.
Hey dude, that's impossible. I work in a big box store and almost EVERYTHING is made in China or Vietnam or Mexico. The only stuff that's American made is probably household chemicals like Tide and most of the food. Go to the 99 cent store and see if you can find anything that's American made, except for the Blockbuster DVD kiosk.
Makes Sense To Me

United States

#7 May 17, 2010
You cant buy anything made in America anymore the Unions took care of that long ago that's why companies find it cheaper to manufactuer else where makes sense to have it done elsewhere to avoid the Union labor cost.
spoon

Brea, CA

#8 May 17, 2010
Nothing is made in the USA anymore because y'all went to Walmart and thought you were saving money. Now look what happened: The Walton family is worth more than some countries, and your job is in the toilet. That's how the middle class is being destroyed.
tyb stuck in cali

Anaheim, CA

#9 May 17, 2010
Leadhead wrote:
Job loss during a recession/depression like we're having is a sad reality. I know, I've been through more than one of these economic cycles and found myself out of a job. BUT... I did not sit around and pess and moan about Waaaa I don't have a job, somebody better gimme one. I got up and MOVED to where there were jobs, and that's what a lot of these lazy butt whiners need to do. You do not have a god-given right to live in the same city you grew up in for the rest of your life and be guaranteed good employment while you're there. You have to adapt, reinvent yourself, relocate yourself, whatever it takes. Don't blame the companies, blame the government for its part in lengthening and deepening this awful time that is upon us.
Actually Leadhead, I have worked for 5 different companies that merged or went out of business in the past 20 years. Do Buffum's,Robinsons-May, First Interstate Bank,First Interstate Mortgage,Crocker Bank,ring a bell? I worked for them and they all were bought by other companies or went under. I went from retail to banking to insurance to customer service and even was temping for 6 years before I landed my current job. I also attended college on-line and received my B.A. in 3 years. I have reinvented myself 6 or 7 times! As for relocating, find me a caregiver for my 87 year old mother whom I have been taking care of since 1988, and we'll talk relocation if it makes sense...

Beaverton, OR

#10 May 18, 2010
spoon wrote:
Nothing is made in the USA anymore because y'all went to Walmart and thought you were saving money. Now look what happened: The Walton family is worth more than some countries, and your job is in the toilet. That's how the middle class is being destroyed.
Dude, see post #7. It's union labor and the whole 'prevailing wage' nonsense that contributed to job outsourcing, along with a host of stifling govt. regulations. Look, I'd rather buy American, and I do when possible and when it won't break the bank. But today's reality is that an awful lot of stuff is made overseas. Correct the problems that caused that to happen, and I'll be as happy as you will be.

Beaverton, OR

#11 May 18, 2010
tyb stuck in cali wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Leadhead, I have worked for 5 different companies that merged or went out of business in the past 20 years. Do Buffum's,Robinsons-May, First Interstate Bank,First Interstate Mortgage,Crocker Bank,ring a bell? I worked for them and they all were bought by other companies or went under. I went from retail to banking to insurance to customer service and even was temping for 6 years before I landed my current job. I also attended college on-line and received my B.A. in 3 years. I have reinvented myself 6 or 7 times! As for relocating, find me a caregiver for my 87 year old mother whom I have been taking care of since 1988, and we'll talk relocation if it makes sense...
TYB, wow you've had a lot of adjusting to do, no doubt, and I commend you for doing what you needed to do. But you make my point for me. A lot of people won't do what you did, and that's what I was griping about. You're a great example of what is the right thing to do, and more power to you. Now I also have an 80-something mother who requires caregiving services, and I don't know whether this would be an option for you, but when I move I plan to take her with me. I know they can get almost too frail to move, and I hope that's not the case with yours, but otherwise it can be an option to relocate and take Mom with you. Best of luck to you.
Steel jacket

West Covina, CA

#12 May 18, 2010

Beaverton, OR

#13 May 18, 2010
Steel jacket wrote:
Dude, you posted the same thing yesterday. Are you waiting for a response from me or what. Hey I do agree there's something fishy with the two story buildings in Rosemead or wherever that are practically empty but front for a whole wad of communist China businesses. That needs looking into.
Steel jacket

San Dimas, CA

#14 May 18, 2010
Go fish, this is not china!

No need for a fish-based response to a commie lover like yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
meez vips? (Feb '09) Mar '16 XlovemyhatersX 448
who has any free weeworld accounts with gold po... (Feb '10) Dec '15 Glitcherz 198
News Mattel toys recalled (Oct '07) Dec '15 WNC 10
Looking for a Plush Rexy Doll (Dec '06) Dec '15 jordan55 15
Classic & Traditional Toys (Jun '15) Jun '15 congo 1
News MGA Entertainment's Rescue Pets(TM): MyePets.co... (Aug '07) May '15 jedinashi 152
News Is new Barbie a he? Media labels doll a drag queen (Aug '12) May '15 PFfff 48
More from around the web