Ex-Detroit mayor won't testify in own...

Ex-Detroit mayor won't testify in own defense

There are 2 comments on the KGWN story from Feb 6, 2013, titled Ex-Detroit mayor won't testify in own defense. In it, KGWN reports that:

29,2013 file photo former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick waits in line to enter federal court in Detroit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KGWN.

Pete

Livonia, MI

#1 Feb 6, 2013
Of course the judge will tell the jury that not testifying is in no way a sign of guilt. Some jurors may not believe it. It often is the best legal strategy because getting on the stand would open up the defendant to cross examination. There is nothing Kwame could say beyond professing innocence and that is the legal position to begin with. The government case took months to present. One person on the stand could not hope to argue against it in detail.

PS> This is a very long shot, but there always remains the option of accepting a plea before the jury comes in. I believe the prosecution would still accept a plea.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#2 Feb 6, 2013
And don't forget Bobby and Bernard.(I feel like I can be on a first name basis after all this time.) They too would be silly to go on the stand and be cross examined. They have Bernard on video. Defense would contend that whiskey in the trunk and cash in gum wrappers were merely Christmas presents. It would give a chance for the prosecutor to go over the evidence one more time.

And all along the defense has been stockpiling reasons for a technical appeal. They may have no merit and lose, but that could delay the execution of a sentence for a year. Bernard likes that. He's living in dog years now. Every year he stays out of prison is like seven.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toys Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rare bakugan (Jan '09) Aug 20 Darkstar55 12
meez vips? (Feb '09) Aug 17 famx-x 452
who has any free weeworld accounts with gold po... (Feb '10) Jul '16 Chickn 200
what is meaning of the educational toy , parent... (Sep '14) May '16 funeducationatoys 6
Perfect gifts for our kids on Children's Day May '16 Anonymous 1
News Mattel toys recalled (Oct '07) Dec '15 WNC 10
Looking for a Plush Rexy Doll (Dec '06) Dec '15 jordan55 15
More from around the web