Canker Sores and Dip
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
jpr

Fredericktown, MO

#1 Mar 7, 2011
I dipped for the first time in months with a Skoal bandit and got a canker sore in my lip. I stopped for another month and had one pinch of Skoal longcut and got a canker sore in my lip again. Do I just have a sensitive lip or what?
James Walker

Santa Barbara, CA

#2 Mar 7, 2011
That's seems abnormal I got a lot of sores when I started dipping, the salt and wintergreen flavor are probably irritating your mouth. I mostly ignored it unless It lasted longer than two weeks which has yet to happen. I use swedish snus pouches mostly with an occasional can of dip now and don't get canker sores. It generally takes several decades before you get oral cancer something like 95 percent get's it after 45 and the majority of people are over 60. Smoking and alcohol consumption are the major risk factors. I don't recommend dipping since it seems like an expensive habit with mostly illusory benefits even though it won't kill you but smoking is also pointless and expensive and kills 35-50 percent of the people who do it so I think I picked right.
jpr

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Mar 8, 2011
so basically I just have an abnormally sensitive lip? It takes a lot of snus to get a buzz though that's why I don't use it. Which dip has the lowest pH or chemicals and fiberglass?
James Walker

Silverdale, WA

#4 Mar 17, 2011
The camel and marlboro crap will take a lot yeah, if you get something like general or thunder which are basically only available online it will give you a good buzz. The skoal snus will probably do it too although I haven't tried it. Dip doesn't contain an abnormal amount of chemicals, the main thing is that a lot of companies use salt and baking soda to up the ph to compensate for the loss of surface area from a longer cut. It seems to different for everyone but in general grizzly and kodiak are abrasive and copenhagen and T-wolf are less abrasive but they're also harder to dip since they don't "pack" well. Imo copenhagen straight (not cope) is the least abrasive Skoal isn't really that abrasive. The weakest brands in terms of ph and nicotine are I would say hawken, longhorn, skoal fruity flavors, and kayak.
taylor

Salem, CT

#5 Apr 24, 2011
theres no fiberglass or variation in ph levels in dip, thats an old wives tale. the burn is from salt levels. The more salt, the more nicotine diffusion can occur, but the more of a burn you're going to get. Skoals probably one of the weekest outside of snus as far as burns go. Try kodiak, but stay away from grizzly if you don't like a good burn.

The canker sore was most likely because your mouth wasn't used to the diffusion though, try doing smaller lips of pouches if you want to work your way up. also if you want to avoid sores then try dipping less frequently; frequent dipping can leave your mouth raw and nasty feeling
James Walker

Santa Barbara, CA

#6 Apr 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure there's a variance in ph levels it has an effect on the speed of nicotine absorption and the amount that's freebased skoal berry blend actually has the highest nicotine content of any dip (28mg/g I think) but it's weaker than copenhagen snuff which is one of the lowest. A lot of snus companies list their ph levels and the highest ones are the strongest. The fiberglass thing never made sense to me you would know pretty quickly if there were fiberglass in dip I got that stuff on my hand building houses in mexico and it cut it and stung, it would absolutely tear your mouth to shreds.
Josh P

Downers Grove, IL

#7 May 20, 2011
Ive recently started dipping for the past to months now i stared with grizzly wintergreen pouches the went to grizzy wintergreen long cut and tried a few other after that such as skull mint and grizzy mint after the grizzly mint i picked up a can of grizzly wintergreen the next day i woke up and my lower lip was torn apart it is about 4 days later now, i have a fat lip and the inside of my lip is all gray i believe that is the new skin growing. what could have cause my mouth to get so cut up? also do i have anything to worry about my lower lip is very nasty looking and covered with gray and is cracked all over
Christian B

Concord, NC

#8 Oct 15, 2012
My first time dipping was with grizzly straight long cut. It burnt like shit but i handled it pretty well. Once i tried kayak it was not any effect in me. I would consider pouches for starters. One thing is grizzly truly does suck at packing. just today i diped grizzly wintergreen long cut, and it went all over the place. The problem was i put it in an area wear i had a cancer sore and it hurt like shit. If u would wanna consider going cheap try something like skoal mint, or any skoal brand pouches. Copenhagen isnt a good starter i tries copenhagen and look ima tell you...i want be going back to that shit anymore. hope the info helped!
Christian B

Concord, NC

#9 Oct 15, 2012
tried*
Joe

United States

#10 Oct 28, 2012
I dip Copenhagen southern blend and Copenhagen wintergreen every day and I haven't had any problems
jodi bedford

Batavia, NY

#11 Nov 7, 2012
I dipped skoal wintergreen and now have a pretty good sore. But itll heal and ill do it again i dont care. God gave me a lip fer a reason boys ;)
jack p

South Carver, MA

#12 Dec 6, 2012
From my dippin expeirence I've tried pretty much everything...I've noticed grizzly wintergreen seems to cause the most kankers and what not....but I don't give a F U C K!.... cause THAT BURN IS MAGICAL!!!!!!
Matthew

United States

#13 Dec 11, 2012
I've been dipping almost a year now.i don't get sirens at all, but occasionally i get dead skin when i stop and start back up after a few days.i can peel it right off.so no big deal.heals up doesn't hurt anymore than usually started with grizzly wg lc.i gut in class, and get away with it. I'm pretty good at talking with it, without getting caught too.right now I'm stuck with longhorn wg. It blows.packs like a mid-fine cut.tastes like Asshole, don't get it unless it's financial.it's not intolerable because it's cheap.it's like great value Walmart dip.
Chad

Brookville, IN

#14 Dec 12, 2012
I chew grizzly wintergreen and have had no problems . Did grizzly change to all premium
greg harper

Somerset, KY

#15 Apr 19, 2013
Christian B wrote:
My first time dipping was with grizzly straight long cut. It burnt like shit but i handled it pretty well. Once i tried kayak it was not any effect in me. I would consider pouches for starters. One thing is grizzly truly does suck at packing. just today i diped grizzly wintergreen long cut, and it went all over the place. The problem was i put it in an area wear i had a cancer sore and it hurt like shit. If u would wanna consider going cheap try something like skoal mint, or any skoal brand pouches. Copenhagen isnt a good starter i tries copenhagen and look ima tell you...i want be going back to that shit anymore. hope the info helped!
I started on copenhagen and loved it, i just dont get it as much because the cost, I started the grizzly long cut and got a sore the next day, its been a week now and its still there. I swish baking soda and salt water to help, but I think I got the sore because I havent dipped in like a month...
brick_layer

New York, NY

#16 Apr 23, 2013
I know this forum is old... but you should see a doctor. Any sores or things like that could indicate a serious problem. Best case the doc will say it's nothing but probably due to the dip, and to stop, and no big deal. But if it is cancer or something (sorry don't mean to be putting that out there but just trying to be honest) you'll want to catch it sooner rather than later. Good luck guys
Jeff F

Temple, TX

#17 Jun 15, 2013
I know it sounds backwards but I actually don't get canker sores when I am dipping. However when I stop I will get canker sores within days. There is a connection here that I have found on numerous sites. Many people report the same thing with smoking. They are not sure if its the nicotine/chemicals in the product that minimize the canker sore or if its perhaps interfering with the mucous membranes. Check out http://www.killthecank.com for more info.
Anon

Delhi, India

#18 Jul 16, 2013
Hey I got the painless canker sore on the inner side of my lower lip..its been 20 days now..i didnt stop chewing?what should i do is it normal or what?
Dan

Syracuse, NY

#19 Oct 19, 2013
Anon wrote:
Hey I got the painless canker sore on the inner side of my lower lip..its been 20 days now..i didnt stop chewing?what should i do is it normal or what?
Dude i have the same thing same spot been there for 1 year doesnt hurt doesnt go away
Cory B

United States

#20 Dec 23, 2013
Amen to that Jack P! And yeah I wouldn't worry about having canker sores. It's just a part of dippin. I've been dippin for 5 years now and basically tried every kind out there. It is best to stick with one brand of dip is what I have been told, because there are different amounts of nicotine in each brand. I've been dipping grizzly long cut wintergreen for years now. I get canker sores every now and then but don't pay attention to it unless it stays there over 2 weeks. Haven't had that problem yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tobacco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dip prices in different states (Aug '12) 5 hr Pjj 367
tobacco and cigarettes wanted (Aug '14) Jan 20 V for victory 1 16
Where To Buy Cigarettes Online Jan 20 JGREEN1976 1
Looking for genuine amber leaf tobacco and genu... (Feb '13) Jan 20 JGREEN1976 13
Tax free cigarettes in USA? (Apr '07) Jan 20 JGREEN1976 21
Cheap Duty Free Products for sale... Cigs, Toba... (Nov '14) Jan 20 JGREEN1976 15
Marlboro just 10.25 per carton (Mar '07) Jan 20 JGREEN1976 6
More from around the web