Qwest investigating cause of local In...

Qwest investigating cause of local Internet outage

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 5, 2010, titled Qwest investigating cause of local Internet outage. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A high-speed Internet network serving the Twin Cities metro area was down for nearly an hour this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Quest Fibbing

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 5, 2010
We are a residential customer, and our outage lasted from 10:30 until nearly 2 p.m. Kind of hard to get any work done when the internet is out for over 3 hours. Their customer service line really wasn't interested in giving out information, either. Guess they'll only talk to reporters.
Mao Tsetung

Hoyt Lakes, MN

#2 May 5, 2010
Don't look at me, I didn't do anything. I'm dead.
oh boy

Houston, TX

#3 May 5, 2010
Quest Fibbing wrote:
We are a residential customer, and our outage lasted from 10:30 until nearly 2 p.m. Kind of hard to get any work done when the internet is out for over 3 hours. Their customer service line really wasn't interested in giving out information, either. Guess they'll only talk to reporters.
What are you going to do when the economy collapses into one steaming lump of SH*T?

Get a GRIP on it...Really? Can't get by for a couple of hours without B*TCHING?. God help us.
real facts

Saint Paul, MN

#4 May 5, 2010
"So it was looping and looping and looping and getting stuck."

That is what my spouse says I do.

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

#5 May 5, 2010
QWEST gets clowned (rightfully) for a lot of things. This isn't one of them. Guess what folks? Internet problems will occur- especially as it gets used more and more every day. Not saying it's not an inconvenience when it happens, but if people couldn't surf the web for a couple hours, big deal.
Andy

Buffalo, MN

#6 May 5, 2010
Can you imagine the complaining if free WiFi gets going?
Johnny Qwest

Carol Stream, IL

#7 May 5, 2010
Hmmm, I bet now Qwest adds a bunch of unintelligible crap to their customer's bills charging them for things they didn't order.

That seems to be their modis operandi.
Brad

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 6, 2010
If it was 'just' the Internet, perhaps we can live with a few hours off-net. But when it effects business--- such as healthcare--- this can have very serious effects. Qwest is 'minimizing' the impact, which seems to be a horrible mistake. This wasn't just a short Internet outage, it was about 90 minute outage for a number of businesses who rely on this service for critical applications. So don't brush this off as an 'inconvienience'.
HappyCamper

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 17, 2010
Amazing how people can dismiss internet issues when it isn't taking down their business directly. I'm sitting here watching a 300 employee client going on day 2 of no internet, email, remote access...etc....all due to Qwest. Have guys on business trips that can't access contracts being sent to them by clients, photos needing authorization before major construction begins. Total mess thanks to Qwest.

Every hour that goes by, they lose money and productivity at an amazing rate. Looks like we will be extending trips or buying repeat sets of plane tickets just for this....all at a time where businesses are cutting everywhere to stay running.

In this case, Qwest is the only provider able to get internet access to property being affected. Comcast business wanted almost $9000 to "attempt" a feed line to the building with no guarantee the service would perform. We've also tried a T1 speed cellular internet as backup and ended up cancelling the service as it almost never stayed online, especially in poor weather.

Support is now saying that a major "box" in the area was damaged and they had to overnight express ship parts from elsewhere in the US to resolve the problem. How they could not have local spare parts to fix any issue found in the field is beyond me.

The comment above about saturation causing this more frequently makes zero sense. Qwest is well aware by now their equipment has lifespan and cycle ratings. More load and traffic means shorter life of equipment. Have replacements on hand.

The issue that many of our clients have who use Qwest is their failure to have effective backup plans in place (in this case...no spare equipment on hand), failure to address the problem fast enough (28 hours now?) and no method of keeping business customers updated on progress without waiting 35 minutes on hold while transferring through 3-5 phone reps....the "callback" feature is a useless attempt at this.

Qwest's 20mb connection performs as promised when it is working. It is the total lack of appropriate response time that makes Qwest a nightmare.
Magic

Long Lake, MN

#10 May 17, 2010
I use dial-up with few problems, just avoid vidio.

Comparing dial-up to DSL and see little difference.
AlGore

United States

#11 May 17, 2010
Don't look at me.
HappyCamper

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 18, 2010
Update:

Day 2.5....still no Qwest service. Support has no idea when the service will return.

Something for any business user to consider if you're thinking about Qwest services:

The Qwest DSL support team lead said "We have products and equipment in so many states that there is no way we could keep spare parts onhand. We aren't in the hardware inventory business."

So they have so many customers paying for their services they can't (won't?) afford to keep backup parts locally?

I suppose with that many customers is means you can not protect their services, put strain on their business, maybe lose a few, but in the end you're still making your money, right Qwest?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Telecom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Update on Paetec World Headquarters (Jul '09) Aug 7 CityRes 13
News Family sues AT&T over violent slaying of Waco t... Jul '17 RickN 1
Telco Asset MGMT CEO Brent Bauer Speaking at IS... Jul '17 Brian Hodges 1
6 Open Seats on the Globys Research Panel: Jul '17 Brian Hodges 1
News No Early Release For Sex Offender (Feb '07) Jun '17 John 46
News 10-4, Good Buddy: FCC Updates Part 95, CB Rules May '17 whackerblaster 1
News Hundreds oppose planned cell tower (Jul '12) May '17 May-24th-weekend 6
More from around the web