It's official: Schools lose $780 million | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 17 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 12, 2011, titled It's official: Schools lose $780 million | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Dublin, Olentangy, Upper Arlington, Westerville and Worthington districts all face double-digit percentage reductions in state aid this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#143 Jul 14, 2011
vwbug wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, moron, you needed X amount of signatures to get the measure on the ballot. I signed it to speed this process along as best I could. If your union offers reimbursement to pursue continued education, you better take them up on that right quick.
I signed it just to send a message to the politicans. Next time they plan stuff, they ened to mention their plans in the campaign before the election. Not after. I'm not even in a union. I just think the way the went about this was very underhanded and devious.
woke

Columbus, OH

#144 Jul 14, 2011
Kennesaw71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Better yet, wait till those levies start getting voted down.... better start printing money like the Bamster does.
READ the constitution.

The potus does not "print money", that power belongs to Congress:

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

Article 1, section 8 (in part)
Man with a brain

Westerville, OH

#145 Jul 14, 2011
vwbug wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, moron, you needed X amount of signatures to get the measure on the ballot. I signed it to speed this process along as best I could. If your union offers reimbursement to pursue continued education, you better take them up on that right quick.
What part of you didn't need to sign the referendum don't you get?

Better get back to your shift at the Citgo.

Don't need a union, just a brain. When unions stop fighting for workers rights, what is stop your employer at Citgo from giving you no health care or retirement. That is right, you don't get that now.

Stop buying Kasich's Kool Aid
Man with a brain

Westerville, OH

#146 Jul 14, 2011
vwbug wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we will keep voting those levies down.
Where are your facts--actual, real facts--about "so many teachers getting out of the education field now"? The last time I checked, there isn't a hiring problem--there's a JOBS problem--and there are a lot of young Ohioans who would be glad to take the position of an overpaid, tenured teacher who just won't get the hell out of the way because some union deems them "un-fireable." These recent grads will be glad to come in at a lower cost, and provide more energy in a classroom than sitting at home, unemployed, for these kids who are seeking a decent education. You and all the rest of you liberal ilk live in such a make-believe world it's pathetic.
Are you taking your medication? Is your pal Ted Kisinski still have his facebook up?

Since: Jan 10

Dublin, OH

#147 Jul 14, 2011
Man with a brain wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you taking your medication? Is your pal Ted Kisinski still have his facebook up?
Who? Can you even spell??

Dublin, OH

#148 Jul 14, 2011
Man with a brain wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of you didn't need to sign the referendum don't you get?
Better get back to your shift at the Citgo.
Don't need a union, just a brain. When unions stop fighting for workers rights, what is stop your employer at Citgo from giving you no health care or retirement. That is right, you don't get that now.
Stop buying Kasich's Kool Aid
"[...]what is stop your employer[...]"

Can you even type??

Dublin, OH

#149 Jul 14, 2011
Tea Farty wrote:
<quoted text>
"politicans" "ened"
Less alcohol will be good for all of you Topix liberals.(That, and a job under which you are held accountable for your own actions.)
Kennesaw71

Corona, CA

#150 Jul 15, 2011
woke wrote:
<quoted text>
READ the constitution.
To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
How could I have made such an oversight? I bet the Bamster has never even heard of Harry Reid.....
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#151 Jul 16, 2011
Tea Farty wrote:
<quoted text>
I signed it just to send a message to the politicans. Next time they plan stuff, they ened to mention their plans in the campaign before the election. Not after. I'm not even in a union. I just think the way the went about this was very underhanded and devious.
Kasich didn't pass SB5, the legislature did. If you want a 4 year buisness plan from everyone who campaigns for your vote then tell that to Obama first.
stop paying Fed Reserve

West Union, OH

#152 Jul 16, 2011
Why don't they stop paying interest to the Federal Reserve?
They say they are not within the US laws.
They claim to be above the law in the US. They are private bankers, cartels and foreign assignees.
Dump them and move on. Also they can get out of the US we don't need them we need someone to stand up to them and arrest them for stealing and enslaving the USA.
This would allow the people of the USA to move on.....

EVERYONE would be happy except the corrupt thieves.
stop paying Fed Reserve

West Union, OH

#153 Jul 16, 2011
Say what wrote:
Do not worry about the teachers that will be laid off, my brother in law who is a a teacher said his school just get put on notice that layoffs are coming.
- They will not be laid off long because JOBSOHIO will create jobs for them LOL.
- Bob Evans CEO is on the board of JOBSOHIO so he can probably get my Brother in Law a job at Bob Evans. He was a Busboy in college and is well qualified.
- Kasich mentioned Bob Evans when he said it is time to level the field for the private sector (Bob Evans) against the public employees (teachers).
- He also gave Bob Evans a large tax break to keep their sausage plant and 200 employees in Ohio. Problem is was that they were not leaving Ohio but only moving to another part of the state. I know a fair amount of people working at Bob Evans.
- So after he gets his job at Bob Evans he should benefit by the destruction of the education field in Ohio as Bob Evans should reap the rewards of a level playing field.
- If this is confusing even I admit Kasich has things so messed up who can make sense of it.
- True story, my niece, a college student studying to be a special Ed Teacher, works as a waitress for Bob Evans in Milford, Ohio. Apparently Governor Kasich's constant mentioning of Bob Evans in his speeches has not gone unnoticed, she says tips and business has gone done since he has started talking about them all of the time. I suspect Bob Evans employees wish that he would shut up.
Maybe it's the economy?
They same amount of money doesn't go near as far when purchasing something.
Stay the course Governor Kasich. Stay the course.
Mom

Canal Winchester, OH

#154 Jul 17, 2011
woke wrote:
<quoted text>
READ the constitution.
I thought it was the Federal Reserve who prints money...hence the "Federal Reserve Notes."
woke

Columbus, OH

#155 Jul 17, 2011
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was the Federal Reserve who prints money...hence the "Federal Reserve Notes."
You thought wrongly.

>>>"my research shows that the Fed's power derives from the Constitution's Borrowed Money Clause, not the Coined Money Clause. So, although the Fed may appear to totally control the monetary power, it has not usurped Congress' power by taking over the coining power.

In other words, Congress still has the exclusive power to coin money, has never lost the power, and the Fed is absolutely barred from coining money."

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php...
Mom

Columbus, OH

#156 Jul 18, 2011
woke wrote:
<quoted text>
You thought wrongly.
>>>"my research shows that the Fed's power derives from the Constitution's Borrowed Money Clause, not the Coined Money Clause. So, although the Fed may appear to totally control the monetary power, it has not usurped Congress' power by taking over the coining power.
In other words, Congress still has the exclusive power to coin money, has never lost the power, and the Fed is absolutely barred from coining money."
Aren't "Coining" and "Printing" two separate things? Coining means using precious metals that are inherently valuable. Printing means on paper to symbolize value. Your original comment was about printing money, not coining money.
woke

Columbus, OH

#157 Jul 18, 2011
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't "Coining" and "Printing" two separate things? Coining means using precious metals that are inherently valuable. Printing means on paper to symbolize value. Your original comment was about printing money, not coining money.
Did you bother to read the REST of the article I linked?

>>The Constitutional source for Congress' power to issue non-coin money was explained by the Supreme Court in the Legal Tender Cases (1870) after the Civil War, when the Court needed to justify Lincoln's issuance of TreasuryDirect paper money to fund the war.

The Court concluded that the Lincoln administration was within its rights because (1) nowhere in the Constitution is the federal gov't barred from issuing paper money, and (2) the power is justified under Congress' power "to borrow money" under Article 1, Section 8, Clause 2, which means, oddly enough, that paper or electronic money is a form of "borrowed coin."

So, prior to the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, Congress had two ways to issue money, one by coining under Article 1, Section 8, Clause 5, and the other by issuing paper notes under its borrowing power in Article 1, Section 8, Clause 2.

Finally, whenever Congress and the U.S. Treasury Department directly issue their own currency in the form of paper or coin (& today electronic money), it is called "lawful money of the United States." Other legal currencies that Congress allows to circulate as money (such as the Fed's) can be called "lawful money," but does not qualify for the legal term "lawful money of the United States."

Since: Jul 11

#158 Jul 25, 2011
Disgrace.....
Browser Joe

Dublin, OH

#159 Aug 14, 2011
Kennesaw71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Better yet, wait till those levies start getting voted down.... better start printing money like the Bamster does.
Democratic Underground says do it!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Electrical designing of induction furnace and i... Mar '15 Ali 1
News Ruby Tuesday cited for sexual harassment (Aug '08) Jan '15 Tameka 14
News Giant western Pennsylvania underground mushroom... (Nov '09) Nov '14 mplemmons 10
News LADWP Tests Earthquake Resistant Water Pipes Nov '14 Peter 1
News U.S. Supreme Court weighs fight over changing c... (Nov '13) Nov '14 FurFaukSakes 7
News Welded Tube-Berkeley closes pipe plant next to ... (Aug '12) Oct '14 Michael2327 4
News UPDATE 1-Russia's Severstal sells U.S. plants t... (Jul '14) Oct '14 eire88 11
More from around the web