It's official: Schools lose $780 mill...

It's official: Schools lose $780 million | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 157 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 12, 2011, titled It's official: Schools lose $780 million | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Dublin, Olentangy, Upper Arlington, Westerville and Worthington districts all face double-digit percentage reductions in state aid this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Live Free

Defiance, OH

#1 Jul 12, 2011
Maybe CPS will cut admiistration.NAH! They will get another tax levy approved by section 8 voters on property owners!
Finster

Wellston, OH

#2 Jul 12, 2011
I guess Kasich won't be known as "the education governor".
I love this country

Blacklick, OH

#3 Jul 12, 2011
So long as there's money for bombs and bullets we'll survive. God bless America!
When will it be over

Marengo, OH

#4 Jul 12, 2011
I wonder what happens now?
just saying

United States

#5 Jul 12, 2011
When will it be over wrote:
I wonder what happens now?
We the tax payer will have to pick up the slack as always because after the government cut back and gets out of our lives,who else is there???
Union Veteran

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 12, 2011
YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASK FOR;.
YOU KNEW WHEN YOU VOTED FOR THE RADICAL NUTCASES.....
THEY HAVE NO SOLUTIONS FOR YOU;
THEY OFFER ONLY THEIR OWN NARROW MINDED GREED
AND YOU THINK YOU HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE???
WHEN THE NUT CASE RADICAL RIGHT GETS DONE WITH OHIO AND AMERICA???
LOOK AT WHAT THEY ARE NOW DISCOVERING ABOUT MURDOCH AND THE NUTCASES IN ENGLAND.
COMRADE MURDOCH AS CITIZEN KANE.
IT"S ALL ABOUT WHAT THEY DON"T TELL YOU.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Captain All-Caps

Blacklick, OH

#7 Jul 12, 2011
Union Veteran wrote:
YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASK FOR;.
YOU KNEW WHEN YOU VOTED FOR THE RADICAL NUTCASES.....
THEY HAVE NO SOLUTIONS FOR YOU;
THEY OFFER ONLY THEIR OWN NARROW MINDED GREED
AND YOU THINK YOU HAD PROBLEMS BEFORE???
WHEN THE NUT CASE RADICAL RIGHT GETS DONE WITH OHIO AND AMERICA???
LOOK AT WHAT THEY ARE NOW DISCOVERING ABOUT MURDOCH AND THE NUTCASES IN ENGLAND.
COMRADE MURDOCH AS CITIZEN KANE.
IT"S ALL ABOUT WHAT THEY DON"T TELL YOU.
I have no idea what you are trying to say but it being all caps must mean it's important. Am I correct?
Be Honest

United States

#8 Jul 12, 2011
Cutting and gutting our way to #1 baby! If education is essential to competitiveness and success in the global economy (governor's words)- it makes perfect sense to cut your investments in your most important assets. Guess you're getting a taste of how this type of business thinking led Lehman Brothers to greatness.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
GTFO

Tiffin, OH

#9 Jul 12, 2011
here come the local levies. they'll be for schools and police/fire after local governments receive less money from the state.
Bear589

Groveport, OH

#10 Jul 12, 2011
I just had my property tax reduced $600 a year. I'm betting real money that Worthington Schools will gobble it up by next year, since voters are stupid enough to keep passing thier levies.
bring it down

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 12, 2011
Just take the schools to the Japan Way. The smart ones move on after Junior High. The not so smart, then move onto the plants and warehouses.

Then people can quit complaining about the schools, teachers, and money. It would reduce the amount of money being spent on schools.
Kasey

United States

#13 Jul 12, 2011
Thats going to make Ohio a real attractive place to live.
Clearing theCloud of Dust

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#14 Jul 12, 2011
Welcome to the dystopia brought to you by the Republican Party and its corporate backers. They loathe the word "public' and are doing all they can to destroy the commons, the public good, and any sense that we are in this together. For those who voted "Republican" and are shocked by what is going on, stop and think how you have been used for an agenda that is set dead against your interests. For those who vote "Democrat" stop and think how compicit your party is in this assault on working people and the public good by its buying into the false choices the Republicans have dished up on the table. Both parties are embraced in a dance, and we are the dance floor. The corporate moneyed interests are the hosts of this dance. Time to break from the system and organize a mass movement outside of the two pary system.
Union Veteran

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 12, 2011
Captain All-Caps wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what you are trying to say but it being all caps must mean it's important. Am I correct?
When you have "NO IDEA"?
Better to be still when thought a fool, than speak and remove any doubt.
Bronncohowie

Galloway, OH

#16 Jul 12, 2011
Thanks a lot King John !!
nana

Howard, OH

#17 Jul 12, 2011
Now please tell me what happen to that champaion promise of "More money in the classroom" Now I do not have a college education but if you take away money from schools just how is that putting more money in the classroom.

King Kasick do you think Ohio is full of uneducated idiots. Oh no that is full of idiots police officers. MY bad.
KWoh

West Chester, OH

#18 Jul 12, 2011
All the cuts are taxes being added to the local voters and to individuals. Housing rates up 5.7% at OSU; tuition up 3.5%.

Local schools wanting levies.

If kasick and republicans wanted to cut schools, cut 30% off administration costs--mandatory.

If kasick wants to cut school costs, cut out ATHLETICS in high schools. No gym maintenance, no athletic direction extra costs, no keeping coaches who can't teach worth crap in some cases, no football field maintenance costs.

I don't recall hearing about Japanese schools having national or state football playoffs, or basketball tournaments. The state wants Japanese quality output, let's have Japanese style schools.
Captain All-Caps

Blacklick, OH

#19 Jul 12, 2011
Union Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have "NO IDEA"?
Better to be still when thought a fool, than speak and remove any doubt.
That, even though it is misquoted, I can understand. However, your rant was incoherent.
OH turned KY teacher

Greenville, OH

#20 Jul 12, 2011
and this is why educated people are leaving this state.
Say what

Cincinnati, OH

#21 Jul 12, 2011
Do not worry about the teachers that will be laid off, my brother in law who is a a teacher said his school just get put on notice that layoffs are coming.

- They will not be laid off long because JOBSOHIO will create jobs for them LOL.
- Bob Evans CEO is on the board of JOBSOHIO so he can probably get my Brother in Law a job at Bob Evans. He was a Busboy in college and is well qualified.
- Kasich mentioned Bob Evans when he said it is time to level the field for the private sector (Bob Evans) against the public employees (teachers).
- He also gave Bob Evans a large tax break to keep their sausage plant and 200 employees in Ohio. Problem is was that they were not leaving Ohio but only moving to another part of the state. I know a fair amount of people working at Bob Evans.
- So after he gets his job at Bob Evans he should benefit by the destruction of the education field in Ohio as Bob Evans should reap the rewards of a level playing field.
- If this is confusing even I admit Kasich has things so messed up who can make sense of it.

- True story, my niece, a college student studying to be a special Ed Teacher, works as a waitress for Bob Evans in Milford, Ohio. Apparently Governor Kasich's constant mentioning of Bob Evans in his speeches has not gone unnoticed, she says tips and business has gone done since he has started talking about them all of the time. I suspect Bob Evans employees wish that he would shut up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gerdau sells rebar Mills to Nucor & CMC Mon dresd 4
News Novamerican Steel Inc. Announces Its Name Chang... (Feb '09) Sep 8 KPUT 800
question about steel Sep 7 amluthra 1
News Nucor Corp. Plans New $230M Mill at Blytheville... Jul '17 not broke 25
News Daniel Beiser (May '08) Jun '17 Granite Hard Forever 2
News Blaze Fast-Fire'd Pizza Opens in Worthington To... Jun '17 They cannot kill ... 3
US Steel New Furnace (Aug '15) May '17 MIkeS 2
More from around the web