New Worthington superintendent leader to forgo perks | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 60 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 3, 2011, titled New Worthington superintendent leader to forgo perks | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The new Worthington superintendent will start his job in August already making concessions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Really

Bellevue, WA

#45 Jun 3, 2011
Seriously wrote:
How is $145,000 a sacrifice?
And how is this salary not equal to what someone in his position SHOULD get? Since teachers became the whipping boy of Ohio this year, it seems that people think they should be paid peanuts. In the private business sector a man this qualified would make quite a bit more WITH perks and no one bats an eye. UNFAIR.
Tired

Dublin, OH

#46 Jun 3, 2011
Interesting comment from a district whose classrooms continue to grow without hiring new staff. The community is no longer growing. At the very least, he should have been given a more limited contract. If he doesn't perform to Worthington standards, how much will that cost to relieve him of his duty.
Worthington MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not practical in Franklin County. It is in many of the hick districts in rural Ohio though. Counties with 4000 students have 5,6 sometimes 7 seperate school districts and they are all broke now. What a tremendous waste of money.
You should have appealed to the county auditor to reduce your tax burden based on the appraised value of your home. The blame is on YOU.
Worthington MOM

Columbus, OH

#47 Jun 3, 2011
Tucker does not need to do anything radical in Worthington.

We are the best and have been that way for the past decade. All he has to do is maintain it.

The football team is a different story, we need a new coach at Thomas. Either Gordon produces this year, or he is gone.

I'm tired of being the doormat - ENOUGH !!
Tired

Dublin, OH

#48 Jun 3, 2011
Sounds like an employee who was the recipient of his rages. You seem so angry over someone with whom you have not worked. There is a whole other side to the man.
rollingmyeyes wrote:
<quoted text>
This "In the Know Gal" must be a parent working in a strip club whose child got into trouble and she did not like that she was awakened in the middle of the day to be called into school and was required to actually act like a responsible parent.
Worthington MOM

Columbus, OH

#49 Jun 3, 2011
Tired wrote:
Interesting comment from a district whose classrooms continue to grow without hiring new staff. The community is no longer growing. At the very least, he should have been given a more limited contract. If he doesn't perform to Worthington standards, how much will that cost to relieve him of his duty.
<quoted text>
As I said in a previous post , he performs or else.

State scores drop he's shown the door with no buyout.

This is performance based position, it's not a popularity contest.
Mike fm Taxerville

Columbus, OH

#50 Jun 3, 2011
Pay attention Westerville wrote:
I hope the Westerville Superintendent and School Board notices how Superintendent Tucker was willing to compromise. He obviously has an understanding and concern as to the impact the recession has had on taxpayers. This certainly can't be said about Dr. Good or the Westerville School Board. What concessions have you seen Dr. Good make? That's right - NONE! And now there is discussion about another levy being on the ballot in November.
PLease stop dreaming, Westerville needs to change their name to Taxerville
Tim

Delaware, OH

#51 Jun 3, 2011
Sounds good! More should follow the same example
U Misinformed Envious Per

Warren, OH

#52 Jun 3, 2011
Worthington MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't evey try and confuse a Superintendent with a CEO of a 100,000,000 dollar business.
That is ludicrous.
He is supported by the taxpayers, we here in Worthington pay his salary.
I don't have a problem with his pay structure at all. It is fair it, is equitable, and now he must perform to prove it.
Those that are bitc*in should be asking why Superintendents of school districts in Ohio of 1000 students or less are being paid 100K or more a year.
Please tell me why this is a ludicrous statement. Both make organization-wide based decisions, they both establish goals and plans that affect the organizations future and they both are leaders.

I don't expect superintendents to the same type of dollars that a private organization does but making a 1/10 of that is not at all unreasonable.
Old Timer

AOL

#53 Jun 3, 2011
Worthington MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with most of what you say. But the best performing districts in the country academically and financially typically range from 5,000 students to 15,000 students. Most rural counties should go to a county wide school system. The savings would be enormous as you have stated, even more when you throw in perks.
Really, in Ohio, if you check the results of schools that are high performing, if you take out the wealthy suburbans, the best performers are the districts with 1200 students our less. As a past administrator I was lucky to have company presidents and CEO's on my board of education, who were excellent members, and who wanted first hand knowledge of public school operations. What was impressive to me was their candid and honest appraisal of what the role of a superintendent was. They said their mid-level managers and their own leadership teams made much more money for less responsibility.

These people would "tell it like it is" to the community, and had no personal agendas. Needless to say, the school was excellent with distinction, administrators were allowed to lead and be held accountable, though even by the board's admission, be underpaid. Some of the ideas of single county, or region, or a single state school district make for good "fodder", but are not good policy decisions.
JustACitizen

Port Clinton, OH

#54 Jun 3, 2011
Good for him. People who make 145K can afford a cell phone bill on their own.
Worthington MOM

Columbus, OH

#55 Jun 3, 2011
Old Timer wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, in Ohio, if you check the results of schools that are high performing, if you take out the wealthy suburbans, the best performers are the districts with 1200 students our less. As a past administrator I was lucky to have company presidents and CEO's on my board of education, who were excellent members, and who wanted first hand knowledge of public school operations. What was impressive to me was their candid and honest appraisal of what the role of a superintendent was. They said their mid-level managers and their own leadership teams made much more money for less responsibility.
These people would "tell it like it is" to the community, and had no personal agendas. Needless to say, the school was excellent with distinction, administrators were allowed to lead and be held accountable, though even by the board's admission, be underpaid. Some of the ideas of single county, or region, or a single state school district make for good "fodder", but are not good policy decisions.
Nationwide imbecile.

Single County school districts for rural counjties are good fodder ? You idiot, some counties in Ohio with only 4,000 students have 6 and 7 mickey mouse school districts.

So that means at least 7 superintendents, 7 treasurers, 7 different office staffs, 7 different bus garages, 7 athletic directors and the list goes on. Then they cry they that they're all broke to the state. They squander the taxpayers frickin money as a job's program.

Worthington has one super for nearly 10,000 students and has been the best ranked school district for a decade in the state - case closed.
pmac

Bluffton, OH

#56 Jun 3, 2011
Worthington mom: your small-combine with cbus to save money.
Really

Westerville, OH

#57 Jun 3, 2011
Worthington MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nationwide imbecile.
Single County school districts for rural counjties are good fodder ? You idiot, some counties in Ohio with only 4,000 students have 6 and 7 mickey mouse school districts.
So that means at least 7 superintendents, 7 treasurers, 7 different office staffs, 7 different bus garages, 7 athletic directors and the list goes on. Then they cry they that they're all broke to the state. They squander the taxpayers frickin money as a job's program.
Worthington has one super for nearly 10,000 students and has been the best ranked school district for a decade in the state - case closed.
Worthington mom needs to stop drinking the kool-aid and open her eyes to the reality of what goes on in her community. Worthington USED TO BE considered a great school district, but if you believe that today, you are about 15-20 years in the past!

And if you are so gung-ho on consolidation, why not start with your money where your mouth is? How about you begin by opening up your district to open enrollemnt to the surrounding communities? If the schools are so good, you will be flooded with new students to make up for all of your declining enrollment - and along with all of those new students will come state tax dollars to put more money in your coffers? What do you think about that?

Any fool can take a look at the eight largest urban school districts in Ohio and that alone tells you why consolidation by county would be a horrible idea.

Everybody's got a beter way to do it - as long as they don't have to contribute or sacrifice. Get over yourself Worthington mom, and check back into reality.
Same grumpy comments

Lewis Center, OH

#58 Jun 4, 2011
TICON wrote:
No school superintendent should be making more than $80,000. There are alot of retired Marines who could get the job done for less with geometric more results. Time to cut the Columbus and Westerville superintendent salaries and benefits by two-thirds and get rid of WIN WIN which would eliminate at least half the buses.
You realize that Generals in the Marine Corps make this much or more, right? Or do you want some junior enlisted grunt running school?

I'm sorry to chime in. I can tell that you are one ot those folks who have all of the answers and everyone else is an idiot, right?
MOM needs a wake up call

United States

#60 Jun 4, 2011
Worthington MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't evey try and confuse a Superintendent with a CEO of a 100,000,000 dollar business.
That is ludicrous.
He is supported by the taxpayers, we here in Worthington pay his salary.
I don't have a problem with his pay structure at all. It is fair it, is equitable, and now he must perform to prove it.
Those that are bitc*in should be asking why Superintendents of school districts in Ohio of 1000 students or less are being paid 100K or more a year.
"We pay his salary?" that phrase is so lame. Who do you think pays the company CEO's salary or your salary if you work? We all do. Anyone who provides a good or service and gets paid for it is getting a salary from the consumer. Why can't some of you understand that.? OUR TAXES MAY PAY HIS SALARY, BUT HE EARNS THAT MONEY AND ALSO PAYS HIS OWN TAXES WITH HIS OWN MONEY. Get it yet?
Black Lion

Columbus, OH

#61 Jun 4, 2011
A hammer is the only tool wrote:
<quoted text>
Creating Super Districts have been very effective in Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc. Under your logic, why not create a single, statewide, Mega District?
State-level politicians have demonstrated a thorough inability to understand the wide spectrum of nuances in Education. The further we move from locally run governance, the more silly the decision-making becomes.
Oh, I forgot to add the State Board of Education. That is one board we could eliminate. Those "fancy dans" probably make $200K per year. I will take "silly" if it will save $400 million taxpayer dollars per year, wouldn't you?
TICON

Westerville, OH

#62 Jun 4, 2011
Same grumpy comments wrote:
<quoted text>
You realize that Generals in the Marine Corps make this much or more, right? Or do you want some junior enlisted grunt running school?
I'm sorry to chime in. I can tell that you are one ot those folks who have all of the answers and everyone else is an idiot, right?
Since I never have all the answers, I always hire individuals who knew more in their area of expertise. Marine field grade and generals have more responsibility and risk. Worthington and Westerville are in a whirl of do do. To bad they did not promote from within since they have had individuals prepared and ready to lead within their own culture and higher standard.
anon

Columbus, OH

#65 Jun 10, 2011
Seadog wrote:
At $145,000.00 / year, just how under-paid are our school administrators? Is there more to SB5 than angry Republicans taking it out on the lowly unions?
SB5 is for the teachers and other (lower paid) workers. Administrators will still get their health care FREE, cell phones (pretty nice ones, too) paid for, mileage to all of their mtgs, and some will get car allowances. This is never discussed. Let's see all of the administrator contracts.
TWK

Columbus, OH

#66 Jun 24, 2011
voteno wrote:
Good start.
But no to any levies until no administrators/staff have any perks.
Staff get perks...am I missing something?
smalltown

Columbus, OH

#67 Jan 16, 2012
Worthington MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nationwide imbecile.
Mom, Check your facts for worthingto before Conrath. I am sure the scores will reture to Just below without her as well. You will all be happy taking care of just the upper 10% of the students as you did under the previous 2 supers. Don't claim facts unless you have them. She knew how to makw the district look good in the end of her career. Now the parents will need to ack as adults for a while.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News People on the Move May 15 Mike 2 2
Electrical designing of induction furnace and i... Mar '15 Ali 1
News Ruby Tuesday cited for sexual harassment (Aug '08) Jan '15 Tameka 14
News LADWP Tests Earthquake Resistant Water Pipes (Nov '14) Nov '14 Peter 1
News U.S. Supreme Court weighs fight over changing c... (Nov '13) Nov '14 FurFaukSakes 7
News Welded Tube-Berkeley closes pipe plant next to ... (Aug '12) Oct '14 Michael2327 4
News UPDATE 1-Russia's Severstal sells U.S. plants t... (Jul '14) Oct '14 eire88 11
More from around the web