Worthington man drowns in North Carolina | The Columbus Dispatch

Jul 1, 2011 Read more: Columbus Dispatch 24
A Worthington man on vacation with his family at North Carolina's Outer Banks drowned yesterday when a rip tide pulled him out to sea, officials said. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pam

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 1, 2011
How terrible. My thoughts, prayers and sympathy to the family.
CollegeProf

Greenfield, OH

#2 Jul 1, 2011
That's terribly sad . . . the currents there are unpredictable. Even the waves can surprise a person. I was walking along the beach one night close to the surf and was startled when a wave came slamming into the beach and me. Then everything returned to the original wave point as though nothing had happened. I've been on quite a few beaches and this was more random.
Hayduke

Marysville, OH

#3 Jul 1, 2011
so that "parallel to the shore" thing really works....
red tail hawk

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 1, 2011
So sad. I was just talking to my kids about swimming parallel to the shore, if you ever find yourself in a rip tide. Personally I stopped swimming in the ocean I just walk along the shore. Poor family.
dennisorcutt

Columbus, OH

#5 Jul 1, 2011
I am so sad to hear of this tragedy. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and loved ones..

Since: May 11

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 1, 2011
How horrible. RIP...may your family start the healing process soon. Very tragic.
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 1, 2011
Such a terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
nate

New York, NY

#8 Jul 1, 2011
Rip. My prayers go with fam. I am sry, I was one of about 7 that swam out to help ocean rescue showed up, and as an eagle scout should have known and reacted better wish I could done more. My prayers r with all of u
magdalena

Medina, OH

#9 Jul 1, 2011
Nate I am sure you did the very best you could.

Rip tides are fairly common in that area. I had the misfortune of being caught in one not far from there many years ago.

My sincerest condolences to the family.
Mike

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 1, 2011
OBX is not a very family-friendly stretch of beach unless you're very familiar with its idiosyncrasies. Big ditch running along most of the coast at low tide sends wave jumpers/boogie boarders slamming in head-first when the waves are rough. Surf turns rough frequently. Thoughts with the family.
just listening

United States

#11 Jul 1, 2011
This should be North Carolina news.
just listening

United States

#12 Jul 1, 2011
nate wrote:
Rip. My prayers go with fam. I am sry, I was one of about 7 that swam out to help ocean rescue showed up, and as an eagle scout should have known and reacted better wish I could done more. My prayers r with all of u
Oh my God. What a story teller! Maybe now, you can get your liars badge?
bbb

Columbus, OH

#13 Jul 1, 2011
just listening wrote:
This should be North Carolina news.
Excuse me? I live in Worthington, Ohio and this news is not only important to our city, but is valuable to others, who may visit any coastal waters. Vacationers, take heed, specially if you have children with you. Lives can be snuffed out in seconds.
God Bless the Buchy Family. You and all of your family are in the thoughts and prayers of the citizens of Worthington, Ohio.
FedUp

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 1, 2011
Bummer.
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#15 Jul 1, 2011
I recall getting caught in a rip tide once - it is very scary experience, and it can happen to anyone on vacation at a location that you are not familiar with.

My condolensces to the family.
The Mayans were wizards

Reynoldsburg, OH

#16 Jul 1, 2011
Oh man this is terrible. RIP
Maple Grove will be there

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 1, 2011
I knew Todd. He was a good man and a good father. I feel so bad for the Buchy's - my wife has been close to tears throughout the day.

As a father of a young one, it just makes me want to hug my kid. You never know what tomorrow holds.

RIP, Todd.
iEnzyte Bob Pd Cust

Kansas City, MO

#18 Jul 1, 2011
The Mayans were wizards wrote:
Oh man this is terrible. RIP
"RIP"? Was that supposed to be a pun?... And is his wife hot and does she want to go out for drinks next week?

But seriously, didn't this happen last year? Yeah, I think it did.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_ne...

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/columbus-di...

Doesn't anybody read the paper?
Maple Grove will be there

Columbus, OH

#19 Jul 1, 2011
iEnzyte Bob Pd Cust wrote:
<quoted text>
"RIP"? Was that supposed to be a pun?... And is his wife hot and does she want to go out for drinks next week?
But seriously, didn't this happen last year? Yeah, I think it did.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_ne...
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/columbus-di...
Doesn't anybody read the paper?
If you believe in God, you better thank Him for the anonymity of your post.
iEnzyte Bob Pd Cust

Kansas City, MO

#20 Jul 1, 2011
Maple Grove will be there wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe in God, you better thank Him for the anonymity of your post.
Since you're on the subject of God, doesn't God help people who help themselves? In other words, if you don't do risky things - like swim in places known for riptides - it's not very likely bad things are going to happen. I've never heard of riptides in swimming pools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Electrical designing of induction furnace and i... Mar '15 Ali 1
News Ruby Tuesday cited for sexual harassment (Aug '08) Jan '15 Tameka 14
News Giant western Pennsylvania underground mushroom... (Nov '09) Nov '14 mplemmons 10
News LADWP Tests Earthquake Resistant Water Pipes Nov '14 Peter 1
News U.S. Supreme Court weighs fight over changing c... (Nov '13) Nov '14 FurFaukSakes 7
News Welded Tube-Berkeley closes pipe plant next to ... (Aug '12) Oct '14 Michael2327 4
News UPDATE 1-Russia's Severstal sells U.S. plants t... (Jul '14) Oct '14 eire88 11
More from around the web