Scanners seen as next step in airport...

Scanners seen as next step in airport security

There are 4 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Jan 3, 2010, titled Scanners seen as next step in airport security. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Inside American Science & Engineering on the Middlesex Turnpike, Doug Palmer stands in front of a full-body scanning machine like he's lining up for a mugshot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Musty Mike

Billerica, MA

#1 Jan 3, 2010
Yeah but what happens when they shove the bombs up their behinds. Can your machines find those? The Muslims are always going to find away around our technology on their quest for the elimination of all infidels
Dan NY

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jan 3, 2010
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I say no to mandatory scanning of passengers. The technology is too under-researched to say this type of radiation is safe. I think the choice to be safe now so I die in 10 years from cancer is unacceptable. More research needs to be done before I will agree to a scan!!!!!

Here is the info from the scientists who did research on the "harmless" terahertz radiation these scanners use:

“Some studies reported significant genetic damage while others, although similar, showed none,” Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Center for Nonlinear Studies expert Boian Alexandrov, the leader of a research team looking into the effects of terahertz radiation, says. The team adds that the energy in these photons is not nearly as high as the ones in X-rays and ultraviolet light, which are perfectly capable of damaging our bodies over prolonged exposures. UV rays are known to trigger skin cancer.

The LANL team recently made a chilling discovery, when it found out that THZ radiation had the ability to essentially “unzip” double-stranded DNA, a feat that has massive implications, including the disruption of such processes as gene expression and DNA replication. Both of these are essential to life as we know it. The team argues that the radiation accomplishes its effects by means of tiny, resonant ones that it instills in the DNA molecules. While normal resonance is unable to cause “unzipping,” nonlinear resonances, of the type terahertz radiation creates, can.

Sam

Dedham, MA

#4 Jan 4, 2010
Backscatter x-ray is completely different from terahertz. No current body scanners use terahertz radiation.
David

Lowell, MA

#5 Jan 4, 2010
I wish the author explained why AS&E's scanner doesn't fit TSA's "imaging technology standards" and why they don't have they aren't being considered. The local business would be great.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scientific Instruments Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News OSI Systems's Sell Rating Reaffirmed at Benchma... (Dec '13) Jan '16 Human 35
News Microvision, Inc. (MVIS) Coverage Initiated at ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 emanresu 1
Simisometer (Jan '13) Aug '15 DC from LA 2
News EARTHQUAKES: University of Oklahoma developed q... (Jun '15) Jun '15 great 1
News 3D Systems: Weighing The Bankruptcy Risk (Mar '15) May '15 SuriJohn 2
News Oil tycoon Harold Hamm reportedly tried to get ... (May '15) May '15 bizness is biznes... 1
News Oklahoma's Earthquakes Are Becoming Too Frequen... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Cordwainer Trout 4
More from around the web