Albemarle Woman on Mission to End Elder Abuse - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W...

There are 7 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Albemarle Woman on Mission to End Elder Abuse - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

An Albemarle County woman is on a mission to stop elder abuse after putting her uncle in jail and saving her grandparents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jeannie Beidler

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Mar 24, 2012
Years of reporting yielded no action because they were not considered incapacitated and were labeled as self neglect. It took me quitting my job and depleting my savings to prove otherwise. Bottom line, they didn't die in that house...actually died happy and at peace.
Jeannie Beidler

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Mar 24, 2012
Thank you!!!!
Jeannie Beidler

Charlottesville, VA

#23 Mar 24, 2012
Fed Up wrote:
I'm proud of her for doing this
Thank you!
Jeannie Beidler

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Mar 24, 2012
heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Which makes it incredible that this had been going on for years, with neighbors complaining of "stench" in the air, and various social services visiting the home and no public service employee reported anything out of the ordinary.
Correct. Considered self neglect. Authorities didn't delve further because my grandparents weren't deemed incapacitated...major catch 22. I cleared that up though!
Jeannie Beidler

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Mar 28, 2012
Fed Up wrote:
I'm proud of her for doing this
Thank you for your support.
Jeannie Beidler

New York, NY

#26 Mar 30, 2012
Localview9 wrote:
FYI, Virginia has a mandatory elder abuse law for Police/Fire/EMS to report suspect elder abuse of people 60 and older. The mandatory reporting also covers if they are found alone and it appears they can not care for themselves.
Sadly, the law is such that when someone would respond to the home after a concern was reported, they don't have to do more than knock on the door... offers to assist were refused...since they weren't deemed legally incapacitated, authorities could not force the issue...yes, anyone with a heart wouldn't look the other way as happened here for years...lessons learned, I hope. I
know I'm doing all I can to see that policy changes...I won't stop til it does...
Trudy Harris

Palmyra, VA

#27 Apr 8, 2012
Jeannie,
I teach a course on Domestic Violence at PVCC and we cover Elder Abuse. I'd love to have you come speak to my students about your experiences and give them advice.
What you did was awesome! Thank you!
Trudy
tharris@pvcc.edu

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rubber-Plastics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-school headmaster sentenced to 50 years for ... Apr 25 Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Cooper worker cited for menacing temp (Jan '12) Mar '15 insider 44
News Goodyear paying $16M to settle bribery-related ... Feb '15 fatbacks x 5
News Protective Coatings, Decorative Paints and Coat... Dec '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Goodyear Tire recalls Eagle RS-A 18" TIRES (Feb '09) Nov '14 letta mego 13
News EstateSalesNews.com Reports Celebrities and 100... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Trex gets into the outdoor lighting game on Amazon (Sep '14) Sep '14 DeckStore 1
More from around the web