Albemarle Woman on Mission to End Elder Abuse - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W...

There are 20 comments on the Mar 22, 2012, NBC29 Charlottesville story titled Albemarle Woman on Mission to End Elder Abuse - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and W.... In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

An Albemarle County woman is on a mission to stop elder abuse after putting her uncle in jail and saving her grandparents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dreama Harrah

Waynesboro, VA

#1 Mar 22, 2012
I have worked in health care for many years, but this is the most heartbreaking story i have even seen. I, really admire the Granddaughter for making this known to the public. Thanks, WVIR NBC29 & Laura French.
Hugh Awtaknow

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Mar 22, 2012
Start at the nursing home level, you want to see
abuse, take a walk around one some weekend.
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Mar 22, 2012
This is one story the right will choke on. They hate social services on any level. They might even condone the abuse cause it takes money out of their pockets. The old and infirm rely on unskilled and underpaid caregivers for daily needs, you get what you pay for and the right hates to pay anything.
god fearer

Farmville, VA

#4 Mar 23, 2012
... there are many good reasons to keep yourself and others out of nursing homes: abuse, neglect, anxiety and depression, and facility-acquired infections are just a few ... and then there are the costs (and very true in our society: excellent care often requires high fees).

... and, we do see many seniors volunteering to help other seniors, which is great

... but, by and large, because most of America adores the young and beautiful (that is what drive Consumer Capitalism, after all) while pretending to respect seniors and caregivers of seniors, services are not likely to be improved (in all the different ways that are required to make the improvements)

... we are all going to face this situation sooner or later, with self, or family, or others ... and unless we together conclude the 'bottom line' quality that ALL seniors ought to be able to receive, we will not resolve these abuses

we must overcome stereotypes and simple mindedness: even in this story, there is much untold and might not be apparent, and should cause us to worry about the final situation of these dear elders
torch

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Mar 23, 2012
Did anyone see the picture of the bathroom of the house where the son supposedly was taking care of his parents! he needs to be made to eat off the toilet seat
Keswick

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Mar 23, 2012
Nice piece of reporting.
Localview9

Punxsutawney, PA

#7 Mar 23, 2012
FYI, Virginia has a mandatory elder abuse law for Police/Fire/EMS to report suspect elder abuse of people 60 and older. The mandatory reporting also covers if they are found alone and it appears they can not care for themselves.
Hugh Awtaknow

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Mar 23, 2012
Localview9 wrote:
FYI, Virginia has a mandatory elder abuse law for Police/Fire/EMS to report suspect elder abuse of people 60 and older. The mandatory reporting also covers if they are found alone and it appears they can not care for themselves.
...and mandatory reporting also applies to ALL employess of nursing homes as well...BUT many turn the other way, the system is broke.
Bea Informed

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Mar 23, 2012
Excellent Care often requires high fees ?!?!? I have to say that having relatives in both the HIGH FEE place on the hill at pantops, as well as having others in the ones known as the "medicaid" place....I have learned this, there is a bit of good in the worst of them, and a bit of bad in the best of them! The level of care, depends on the level of involvement from the family (if the resident can't speak up for themself).
INVOLVEMENT is the key to good care.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Mar 23, 2012
Localview9 wrote:
Which makes it incredible that this had been going on for years, with neighbors complaining of "stench" in the air, and various social services visiting the home and no public service employee reported anything out of the ordinary.
well-

United States

#11 Mar 23, 2012
reality bites wrote:
This is one story the right will choke on. They hate social services on any level. They might even condone the abuse cause it takes money out of their pockets. The old and infirm rely on unskilled and underpaid caregivers for daily needs, you get what you pay for and the right hates to pay anything.
what are you rambling about? these people were abused at the hands of their own child.

“Whatever.”

Since: Nov 09

Prince George, VA

#12 Mar 23, 2012
Bea Informed wrote:
Excellent Care often requires high fees ?!?!? I have to say that having relatives in both the HIGH FEE place on the hill at pantops, as well as having others in the ones known as the "medicaid" place....I have learned this, there is a bit of good in the worst of them, and a bit of bad in the best of them! The level of care, depends on the level of involvement from the family (if the resident can't speak up for themself).
INVOLVEMENT is the key to good care.
Absolutely! If you have a loved one in a nursing home, show up often and show up unexpected. Show up at 3am. When the nursing home employees know that you are likely to show up at anytime, your loved one will likely be on the top of the priority list. It is a shame it has to be that way but its the truth.

“Whatever.”

Prince George, VA

#13 Mar 23, 2012
This story makes me sick. We found my Grandmother living in a very similar situation. There was so much dog feces and urine in my Grandmother's bedroom that it literally ate through her entire carpet. My two uncles were the ones living there "taking care of her". I immediately reported them to Social Services and they did an "investigation". They stopped by one day and my uncles told them they would clean up their act. Case closed. I started going out of my way to show up unexpectedly and found her alone in the house at 3pm and still in bed. I was the only one in my entire family at the time that could come up with the money needed to hire a lawyer and get her out of there. It took every cent I had to my name but it was the best money I ever spent. My youngest sister doesn't work and took my Grandmother in. She lived for 14 more months and she was happy and clean and fed. It is sickening because not only did my "uncles" (of whom I've had no contact with since and never will again) pretty much leave her in bed to die but they squandered away everything she had. My Grandmother was very well off when my Grandfather passed away. They took it all for themselves. I felt like they should have been punished but my lawyer told me it would cost a pretty penny to bring criminal charges against them and I just didn't have it. Oh well, I'm certain they will have to answer for what they did to their own MOTHER one day and am thankful that we were able to prolong Grandma's life and make her last days happy ones.
debbie beach

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Mar 23, 2012
abuse comes in many different forms even hospitals ending their life by drug overdoses. to me is abuse and murder how do we stop this . it happened to my family
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Mar 23, 2012
Woodlawn Dr wrote:
This story makes me sick. We found my Grandmother living in a very similar situation. There was so much dog feces and urine in my Grandmother's bedroom that it literally ate through her entire carpet. My two uncles were the ones living there "taking care of her". I immediately reported them to Social Services and they did an "investigation". They stopped by one day and my uncles told them they would clean up their act. Case closed. I started going out of my way to show up unexpectedly and found her alone in the house at 3pm and still in bed. I was the only one in my entire family at the time that could come up with the money needed to hire a lawyer and get her out of there. It took every cent I had to my name but it was the best money I ever spent. My youngest sister doesn't work and took my Grandmother in. She lived for 14 more months and she was happy and clean and fed. It is sickening because not only did my "uncles" (of whom I've had no contact with since and never will again) pretty much leave her in bed to die but they squandered away everything she had. My Grandmother was very well off when my Grandfather passed away. They took it all for themselves. I felt like they should have been punished but my lawyer told me it would cost a pretty penny to bring criminal charges against them and I just didn't have it. Oh well, I'm certain they will have to answer for what they did to their own MOTHER one day and am thankful that we were able to prolong Grandma's life and make her last days happy ones.
That is a sad story. There should be a special punitive law for 'caretakers' like that. With our aging population (and votes), maybe one will eventually see the light of day.
Fed Up

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Mar 23, 2012
I'm proud of her for doing this

“Whatever.”

Prince George, VA

#17 Mar 23, 2012
Fed Up wrote:
I'm proud of her for doing this
Indeed. This is a very important issue that needs to be addressed and doesn't get the attention it deserves. But hey, we know what Jessica Simpson and Snooki are up to these days, right? Kim Kardashian was flour-bombed yesterday, now THAT is newsworthy stuff there folks.(Somebody will take that at face value and not see that I was being 100% sarcastic)
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Mar 23, 2012
Woodlawn Dr wrote:
<quoted text>
Kim Kardashian was flour-bombed yesterday
and Hunger Games will gross 100-150 million this weekend, with a hunting humans plot sure to desensitize our caretakers further
Bea Informed

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Mar 23, 2012
Well folks it is only going to get worse! We baby boomers are in for one horrific ride!
I have called adult protective services regarding several patients where my loved one is. I proudly give my name and number and they are suppose to get back with follow up. NEVER HAPPENS !!!
IT is an OUTRAGE !
I am willing to accept the process NOT the injustice!
Jeannie Beidler

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Mar 24, 2012
Thank you, Dreama, for your support!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rubber-Plastics Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-school headmaster sentenced to 50 years for ... Apr 25 Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Cooper worker cited for menacing temp (Jan '12) Mar '15 insider 44
News Goodyear paying $16M to settle bribery-related ... Feb '15 fatbacks x 5
News Protective Coatings, Decorative Paints and Coat... Dec '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Goodyear Tire recalls Eagle RS-A 18" TIRES (Feb '09) Nov '14 letta mego 13
News EstateSalesNews.com Reports Celebrities and 100... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Trex gets into the outdoor lighting game on Amazon (Sep '14) Sep '14 DeckStore 1
More from around the web