Value City Department Stores Closes M...

Value City Department Stores Closes More Than 30 Locations

There are 58 comments on the Display & Design Ideas story from Feb 25, 2008, titled Value City Department Stores Closes More Than 30 Locations. In it, Display & Design Ideas reports that:

Columbus, Ohio-based VCHI Acquisition Co. announced plans to restructure its Value City Department Stores, closing seven locations in Maryland, as well as 30 additional stores throughout the country. via Display & Design Ideas

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Display & Design Ideas.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
bossknight

Ellicott City, MD

#1 Apr 10, 2008
VALUE CITY RAN A CUT THROAT OPPERATION WITH THEIR EMPLOYEES, AND IT DAMAGED RELATIONS, WITH ITS CUSTOMERS, GOOD RIDENS, I'LL SHOP TARGET OR COSTCO, WERE YOUR BUSINESS IS APPRECIATED.
VALUE CITY COULD SAVE SOME MONEY IF THEY JUST GO AHEAD AND CLOSE THE REST OF THEIR STORES, THEIR UPPER MANAGEMENT REALLY SUCKS.
SEE YA!!!
EX-EMPLOYEE

AOL

#2 Apr 19, 2008
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!
Transplant from philly

Cumberland, MD

#3 Oct 23, 2008
Alleluia Brother !!!I especially despised "Jennifer" the Grim Reaper of merchandising. I finally quit after 21 years in retail. What a horrible bunch to work for. I never hated going to a job as much as I did when they came to Cumberland MD .
To yank on emotions & not care about employees welfare is dispicable!!!
current employee

United States

#4 Oct 24, 2008
I still work at Value City Distrubition Center here in Columbus. Yesterday we were in formed of the policy for vacation and sick days if we were laid off. We get now if we have none and we don't get any after yesterday. I am not sure where the company is going, I heard they are in a Chapter 7, but I have been looking for a nother job for months. I have not found any my main back round is retail and warehouse. Jobs are either across town, or do not pay enough. Times are tough and it looks like they are not getting any better soon. Lots of people I work with have a second part time job. I say GOOD LUCK to everyone effected and my prayer are with you.
former employee

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2008
They just closed the doors. It is official. No advance warning no assistance to the employees and their families, no regard for anyone or anything but their wallet. Good luck to everyone and their families!
curious

AOL

#6 Oct 24, 2008
which store is it that they just closed the doors on today?
former

United States

#7 Oct 24, 2008
They are in the process of closing 30+ stores and will start sonn closing the rest. All management and store employess wil not get a severance. Most non store personnel let go this week. Lquidation has started. Jay just filling his pocket. what is new.
Former Employee

Columbus, OH

#8 Oct 24, 2008
Go to www.valuecitysucks.com for all the scoop.
loyal Customer

Louisville, KY

#9 Oct 28, 2008
I truly hate to see Value City leave, I have purchased many quality suits for less than you will
pay anywhere I dont beleive any other store will attempt to sell clothing at Value City,s prices.
I hope it,s emoployee,s will be able to find other jobs soon. GOOD LUCk
Laura

Dallas, TX

#10 Oct 28, 2008
Thanks! Unlike some of the people who posted, my husband loved working for Value City. He was in distribution and thought it was the best job he ever had. He loved the managers he worked for. He will really miss his co-workers (already does, actually!)
Barb

Cleveland, OH

#11 Oct 29, 2008
I worked for Value City for 17 years. Was "let go" Feb 15, 2007 for ??? reasons. Did away with my position. They got rid of several hundred or not more at all the other stores. Full time and only making $10.00 an hour!! Not much after all those years but I trully loved my job. Managment & regionals were awfull!!! Sorry for all the remaining associates.
Prestonsburg KY

Pikeville, KY

#12 Oct 30, 2008
I love the Value City stores in Louisville, Ky - Southern Indiana and Huntington, WV. I will truly miss the wonderful values they offer. I do most of my Christmas shopping at Value City and love the selections and prices. The prices of their suits as well as their shoes can not be beat at any other department store. I do hope the employees find other jobs, they were always very nice to me and my family, at all the locations I shopped.
DONNA BLACK

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Nov 1, 2008
I am truly sorry to see the stores close down. I got name brands for a third of the price at other department stores. It is sad to see so many stores go down in this depressive times. I will miss you.
I dont understand

United States

#14 Nov 4, 2008
When I was hired I had to sign the handbook which I took as an agreement between Value City and myself. I have been with the company 11 years But as I have found out this year that it was a one way agreement. I am not understanding is why with the first few riffs these employees recieved a very generous package. Now the end is near and I am now not going to recieve my servence or insurance. Hope Jay and the "investors" eat well for the holidays. PS I loved my job. THANKS!!!!!!
barb

Cleveland, OH

#15 Nov 5, 2008
At least when we were let go on Feb. 15,2007 we all received "hush Money" severance package. Had to sign papers that we would not say anything bad about value city. Times have changed. I can really feel for all remaining associates!! I am now better off without all the crap from the "higher ups" who made out like bandits!!
Good luck to all
Transplant from philly

Cumberland, MD

#16 Nov 15, 2008
Sunday Nov 15,2008 will be the last day for Value City Cumberland. Best wishes to all the loyal employees who showed up for work everyday & had to endure the bull**** from their corporate leaders. I hope more employment opportunities come this way. These were a great bunch of dedicated employees who deserve the best. Any new business would be fortunate to have any of these people wok for them. Best Wishes to the old GeeBee/Value city crew. I hope sommething better comes along for you.
Grandpa-Value City

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Nov 16, 2008
Sunday, Nov. 16, 2008 was our last day, in the 4-Missouri stores, and 2-in western Illinois. Thanks for the memories of all the people I worked with all these years. I wish you all the best of luck in the future, for what ever it holds for you. You will be missed.
Delores in Illinois

United States

#18 Nov 19, 2008
I truly enjoyed my shopping experiences at V C up until last year. When the stores were bought out by the new company,the quality and name brands disappeared, especially in suits and coats for women. That being said,I will miss the stores in the Chicagoland area.
so sad

Ashland, KY

#19 Nov 19, 2008
good luck to evryone ,you are going to need it.
SW PENNA SHOPPER

Stahlstown, PA

#21 Nov 23, 2008
Transplant from philly wrote:
Sunday Nov 15,2008 will be the last day for Value City Cumberland. Best wishes to all the loyal employees who showed up for work everyday & had to endure the bull**** from their corporate leaders. I hope more employment opportunities come this way. These were a great bunch of dedicated employees who deserve the best. Any new business would be fortunate to have any of these people wok for them. Best Wishes to the old GeeBee/Value city crew. I hope sommething better comes along for you.
VALUE CITY WILL BE SURELY MISSED. I SHOPPED IN CUMBERLAND MARYLAND AFTER THE CLOSING OF THE UNIONTOWN PENNA. STORE IN EARLY 2008. I MADE SURE TO SEND MY MONEY AT THE VALUE CITY IN CUMBERLAND AFTER THE UNIONTOWN PA STORE WENT DOWN. I SURELY MISS BEING ABLE TO SHOP THERE. YOU COULD NOT BEAT THEIR PRICES ON BUSINESS SUITS AND SPORTCOATS. WHERE CAN I FIND WORK CLOTHES NOW?? I AM GOING TO CONTINUE TO SHOP AT THE REMAINING VALUE CITY RETAILERS IN OHIO AND WVA UNTIL THEY CLOSE ACCORDING TO POSTS ON 12/31.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Retail Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Stock Has Gone Too 'LOW' After Recent Pull... 16 hr LeaveLowes 1
News Shoppers Drug Mart donates to CAShh (Jan '13) 17 hr Loads of Cash 4 P... 11
News Walgreens to pay $2.25 million in price scanner... Feb 16 HTownTech 12
News Bridgeport trio accused of shoplifting at Orang... Feb 14 BPT 7
News Pair of shoplifters arrested at Kohl's in Fairf... Feb 14 WorkAvoider 3
News Barbeques Galore files for bankruptcy (Aug '08) Feb 9 Still an Unpaid v... 15
News Kroger selling its convenience store unit for $... Feb 8 Gritty 1
More from around the web