Restaurants Get a Taste of Economic D...

Restaurants Get a Taste of Economic Downturn

There are 287 comments on the www.findingdulcinea.com story from Oct 14, 2008, titled Restaurants Get a Taste of Economic Downturn. In it, www.findingdulcinea.com reports that:

American restaurants are seeing a sharp decline in consumers and sales as the credit crisis continues.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.findingdulcinea.com.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
TGI Tuesdays

Lenni, PA

#1 Oct 14, 2008
I guess the $700 financial rescue package doesn't include an asset-backed security buy-up of tequila-fried margarita-flavored pieces'o flair cheesy yuck-yuck.
William

Lenni, PA

#2 Oct 14, 2008
Time to start eating at home more.... but in some places, it seems to be even more expensive to cook at home than eating out.
isabelly

Houston, TX

#3 Oct 14, 2008
i think the 700 billion bailout should help restaurants and other companies willing to build / produce green. check this out:

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/environme...
Elly

Lenni, PA

#4 Oct 14, 2008
I worry about all those servers who might lose their jobs if the casual dining places go under and the other places without wait staff dominate.
Ted

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Oct 14, 2008
We should throw in another $1 trillion to make sure another restaurant doesn't go under!
Mike

Yonkers, NY

#6 Oct 14, 2008
People losing jobs, don't go out to dinner, restaurants layoff or close, suppliers go under and so on and so on. This crisis is far from over.
Anna

Lenni, PA

#7 Oct 14, 2008
I was back in Oregon this summer and two of my favorite restaurants, which are usually thriving, were desolate. I could see it coming. The same thing is happening in NYC.

Also, Immigrants are also loosing their jobs and many are returning back home to get work.
Louise

Lenni, PA

#8 Oct 14, 2008
I went into a restaurant the other night around 8:00 pm. and saw one lone customer. It was terrible. I had no money and only needed to use their facilities but I promise to go back. I worry not just about owners but wait staff as well. And if immigrants are really going back to their home countries for work, things must really be low.
Gordon Ramsey

Lenni, PA

#9 Oct 14, 2008
Restaurants aren't failing because of the financial crisis, they're failing because they're run by effing donkeys.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#10 Oct 14, 2008
Just think of all of the smokers who are retired and not in the economy pinch who says to hell with restaurants (chains) because of smoking bans I can afford it but no smoke no go

“It's a dog's life”

Since: Jan 08

Amish Country

#11 Oct 14, 2008
Mike wrote:
People losing jobs, don't go out to dinner, restaurants layoff or close, suppliers go under and so on and so on. This crisis is far from over.
I agree. I saw the strangest thing at Walmart today. On a bench inside the store was an empty drink container, an opened pack of pudding with one missing, and a opened box of little debbie snacks. It appeared like someone had helped them self to a free little lunch.

PawsForProtectio n

United States

#12 Oct 14, 2008
Maybe some of the more costly restaurants can lower their prices a bit. Help everyone all around..

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#13 Oct 14, 2008
u cannot own me wrote:
Just think of all of the smokers who are retired and not in the economy pinch who says to hell with restaurants (chains) because of smoking bans I can afford it but no smoke no go
Maybe all these chains will turn on Applebees, the ones who started the smokefree trend.

I never liked Applebees. Microwaved junk.

Granted, Applebees made the business choice on this. However, lots of other places were forced into it by the government.

I also try to support Ma and Pa anyway with my dining dollars.

I have never had anything that wasn't better homemade from any chain joint .......and that goes for all of them from McD's to Ruth's Criss.
Cue

“Rack-em, Sit, Shut-up, Repeat”

Since: Feb 08

Your Gene POOL Needs Chlorine

#14 Oct 14, 2008
Wife and I were out at noon today and stopped by a “Macaroni Grill” for a little Italian food and wine for the wife.{I never drink when driving -- NEVER). What we saw was unbelievable not one person had visited this popular, usually very busy restaurant all day. We left after an hour or so and still had the place pretty much to ourselves. When I asked the waitress what happened to the business she said two weeks ago it DIED. As the wife and I left we made it a point to check some of the other restaurants in the area – business is terrible through out the area.

There are going to be a lot of service industry people out of work in Orlando very soon.
Cue

#15 Oct 14, 2008
Musician wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe all these chains will turn on Applebees, the ones who started the smokefree trend.
I never liked Applebees. Microwaved junk.
Granted, Applebees made the business choice on this. However, lots of other places were forced into it by the government.
I also try to support Ma and Pa anyway with my dining dollars.
I have never had anything that wasn't better homemade from any chain joint .......and that goes for all of them from McD's to Ruth's Criss.
Not many mom and pop places here in tourist heaven -- just chain restaurants with poor service -- I miss Kansas and Denver where we used to live for those reasons you mentioned.

A Flori DUH chef would not know marbled beef it slapped them in the forehead.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#16 Oct 14, 2008
Cue wrote:
<quoted text>
Not many mom and pop places here in tourist heaven -- just chain restaurants with poor service -- I miss Kansas and Denver where we used to live for those reasons you mentioned.
A Flori DUH chef would not know marbled beef it slapped them in the forehead.
Indeed.

I hope the end result is Ma and Pa prevails.

I am tired of every damn street looking like a mall food court.

Since: Sep 08

Dexter, MI

#17 Oct 14, 2008
Wait a second...Taco Bell has waiting lines!Garbage is still cheap to buy! Just eat trash food!

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#18 Oct 14, 2008
We can't have it both ways, folks. We can't be kept stagnant in our jobs and salaries and expect to support the businesses that relied on our consumerism.

When is Washington going to understand that WE THE PEOPLE are just as important to the American economy as Wall Street and the credit market?

We used to eat several times a week - now we maybe eat out once a week and it's usually just picking up some subs and going to the park for a picnic. We haven't been in a real sit-down restaurant for a long time.

Sorry, restaurant owners, but you can't expect us to have our earnings keep dwindling and be able to hold up your business as well. And retailers, Christmas is coming. Don't get your hopes up.
Lindsey

Laramie, WY

#19 Oct 14, 2008
I know we're steering clear of restaurants a little more, too. There's only so far a dollar can go.
Cue

#20 Oct 14, 2008
Mom and pop restaurants at least have a little more control over the food they purchase and buy locally whenever possible. Chain restaurants use nothing but shipped potassium chickens, vacuum packed, homogenized, canned, hermetically sealed, vitamin enhanced and dyed to color upon arrival produce after a 3 day train ride. Nothing is FRESH any longer – GARBAGE!

Bogota, Colombia a city of 9 million where I also have a home has supermarkets as large as any in the USA with everything FRESH. There are over 140 fruits native to the country which is more than anyplace else in the world do give you an indicator of the diversity of what is available. Avocadoes are the size of melons and mom and pop restaurants are everywhere.

The quality of food reminds me of how it used to taste growing up in Kansas on a farm 50 years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Restaurant Management Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Start working ON your restaurant, not IN your r... 2 hr RSmart 1
I make my Small Restaurant clients 600$-1000$ a... Sep 11 327Nabors 1
News Alleged Discrimination Against Gay Couple by D.... Aug 29 Ex Senator Stillb... 24
music licensing (ascap or bmi), do i need both Aug 29 Rusty 1
pen and note pad and electronic ordering Aug 22 pie 1
Are tastings worth it? Aug '17 Boris Mirtchev 2
Restaurant Tech Article Aug '17 rossw 1
More from around the web