Avoid The Eagle's Nest in Bloomingbur...

Avoid The Eagle's Nest in Bloomingburg, NY

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
AFOSLIE

Newburgh, NY

#1 Sep 24, 2010
My wife and I visited The Eagle's Nest as a possible venue for a family member's upcoming wedding. While there a wedding was in progress and we were allowed to view the ceremony from the room where the cocktail hour was to be held. All was well until I heard some of the staff openly making fun of the groom and other people in the wedding party. While I'm sure this sort of thing goes on anywhere, I would think it unusual for it to be happening in the presence of potential customers. After looking around we left and my wife realized she has lost one of her gloves. I returned and searched every area that we had been in and could not find the glove. I then asked one of the staff if someone had found the glove and was told I should search the areas where we had been. No offer to ask other staff members if they might have found a glove. I was not about to enter the room where the cocktail hour was being held, as it was now occupied by the wedding party and guests. I was not dressed in a fitting manner to enter the room and start searching for the glove and did not believe it was appropriate for me to 'crash' someone else's wedding when the staff that was appropriately dressed could have easily entered on my behalf. No other offer to help was given, although they did say they would keep an eye out for the glove. I knew someone had to have picked the glove up because the place isn't that big and we had only been in a few areas. I wrote a letter to the owner and director, Michael Spiegl, expressing my dismay and annoyance and eventually he called me and left a voice mail stating that the glove had been found and he was in possession of it. Due to the nature of my business I was unable to call back quickly, but eventually my wife and I made another trip to The Eagle's Nest to pick up the glove. Once there I approached a staff member and explained why I was there. She looked around and said she could not find the glove. When I explained that I had a voice mail from Mr. Spiegl stating he had the glove she looked around again, but could not find it. Then she popped off with the comment "Maybe you should have called before coming." I didn't think it would be necessary to call since Mr. Spiegl stated in his voice mail that he had the glove. This should have been a simple matter of showing up and claiming the glove. Eventually the staff member took down my name and phone number and said she would let Mr. Spiegl know I had come in for the glove. She also tried to contact him by phone, but was unsuccessful. Now very annoyed my wife and I left. Days went by without a call from Mr. Spiegl. I wrote yet another letter, but Mr. Spiegl apparently chose not to respond yet again, as I heard nothing. I then called The Eagle's Nest and spoke with a woman named Dolly. She listened to my story and stated she would take care of the matter that day. She asked me to fax her a receipt showing the replacement cost of the glove, which I did. Again, no response came. I attempted unsuccessfully to contact Mr. Spiegl again, but I now believe he has no interest in doing the right thing. He and his staff's lack of professionalism is without equal. It is no longer in my family's interest to give money to an establishment that is so unprofessionally operated that they can't even handle the task of hanging onto a glove so the rightful owner can retrieve it. In fact, this whole situation could have been avoided had the staff taken what would probably have amounted to a minute or even less of their time to help find the glove when it was initially lost. How any establishment operated in this manner could expect anyone to do business with them is beyond me. One would think any good business owner would try to gain the respect and loyalty of existing and potential customers. We should all learn Mr. Spiegl's secret, as he must have enough business to get away with treating people poorly.
AFOSLIE

Wappingers Falls, NY

#2 Oct 5, 2010
Well, after some continued bitching and threats to bash his business, Mr. Spiegel did finally call me, but he still did not feel responsible for anything. He stated that they were not responsible for lost items. I get this and have no problem with this normally, but since Mr. Spiegel did inform me that he had the glove in his possession and knew who it belonged to he should have safeguarded it. If he felt he had it for an extended period he should have called me to ask what I wanted done with it. He knew who it belonged to and my phone number and address was no secret to Mr. Spiegel.

At any rate, Mr. Spiegel told me he would reimburse me the cost of replacement and I did finally receive a check. However it was less than the replacement cost shown on the receipt I faxed to him. Not sure where he got the figure he used, but needless to say I still do not consider The Eagle's Nest a viable venue for any function and will continue to recommend that people avoid it. In fact, as one that is a consultant to numerous sales departments and upper level managers and executives I'm constantly being asked if I know of good locations to hold dinners for salespeople and out of town guests. I'll make it a point to steer them away from Mr. Spiegl's establishment.
Stan Hardy

Goshen, NY

#3 Jun 12, 2011
All this for one Glove? Get over it! How much in gas did it cost you? Silly man!
Not to Worry

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jun 13, 2011
Stan Hardy wrote:
All this for one Glove? Get over it! How much in gas did it cost you? Silly man!
It doesn't matter if it cost $500. It's the principle of the thing. There are way too many business owners with their fuk'em attitude. Maybe by raising this much hell over a glove the operator of the Eagle's Nest will think twice before blowing someone off. It certainly cost the Eagle's Nest WAY more in lost revenue than it would have cost to do the right thing and just deal with the glove from the start.

Silly man??? You sir must be a sheep.
great place for wedding

Floral Park, NY

#5 Aug 24, 2011
its a f*ck*n glove bro come on maybe your wife should be more attending to her personal shi*
as far as the staff no matter where you go in life people talk shit... hello we do live in a freedom spoken country...
these people are amazing and extremely accodomating...
Not to Worry

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Aug 25, 2011
Wow... another sheep.
DAC Wurtsboro NY

Goshen, NY

#7 Nov 8, 2011
I agree with the person who said, "it's a glove, get over it"
I was thinking that the whole time I was reading the story.
Lu M

New Paltz, NY

#8 Nov 23, 2011
Stan Hardy wrote:
I agree with you. All this over a glove???
Not to Worry

Wappingers Falls, NY

#9 Dec 5, 2011
It's not about the glove and for anyone thinking that you've missed the boat. It's about service, something that is sorely lacking these days. At the very least one would expect the owner of an establishment to at least attempt to address the issue.

Keep thinking it's only about a glove. How about you come to my house and leave anything belonging to you and I simply toss it and never address it if you ask if I've seen it. I seriously doubt you would just let it go. In fact, I know you wouldn't regardless of what you would like to have people believe.

Either way, it's up to you. If you like poor service and getting treated badly by business owners that's your choice. I personally don't give my money to anyone that doesn't appreciate my business.
MK Joe

Newburgh, NY

#10 Dec 5, 2011
Lots of opinions on this subject, but as a business owner I tend to agree that it's not just about a missing or lost glove. I personally address each and every customer complaint as quickly as I can. No matter how minor even I might think a complaint is, I jump on it because while I may not feel it's important to me, it can be very important to the customer. The longer the customer goes without resolution the longer I have a customer out there giving me a bad name. Sorry folks, I have to stick with the OP on this one. The issue should have been addressed quickly by the owner and the employee that failed to quickly respond and help the OP when the issue first occurred should have been reintroduced to the fact that the only reason they are employed is because customers, ANY customer, is important.
TLC

Newburgh, NY

#11 Dec 14, 2011
Im sorry about your glove but I have to say I had my wedding there and Michael and his staff were great. Everything went smooth and wonderful. My guest were very impressed with the venue and I still get raves about my wedding which was 10 years ago. Maybe your one of those people that just cant be pleased and he didnt need your business.
a great place

New Paltz, NY

#12 Dec 26, 2011
I do not understand why in this day and age someone would want to trash a restaurant that they have never had a meal in. I have had several functions and dinners at Eagle's Nest my family and friends love the place and the staff!!-
MK Joe

Newburgh, NY

#13 Dec 27, 2011
Again as a business owner I find myself needing to respond in defense of the OP. I have to assume most, if not all of the other posters do not run their own business or if they do customer service is not one of their strong suits.
Everyone has their opinion and perhaps the OP got a little too emotional about the whole thing, but the bottom line is that the owner/manager of the Eagle's Nest and the employee that failed to properly respond to the issue in the first place should be called out on this. It has nothing to do with whether or not the OP can be satisfied. Quite the contrary, I find people that get this charged up are easily satisfied as long as they feel they have been treated fairly and that those that got them angry to begin with take quick and reasonable measures to right the wrong. That apparently didn't happen in this case and due to that one fact I once again have to side with the OP.
There may be more to the story and we may never know unless the proprietor of the Eagle's Next chimes in here, but I can assure you that if I was put in the same situation as the OP I very well might have taken the same position, as I'm sure a lot of you bashing the OP would. It's easy to judge when you were not there. Don't automatically assume that everyone gets treated well by an establishment just because may have. Wrong place, wrong time for the OP... perhaps. Doesn't relieve the business from doing the right thing once they are aware that an issue exists.
Also, to TLC and the notion that the Eagle's Nest might not have needed the OP's business. Any business owner or manager that takes this approach to customer service is eventually see their business go under. I've seen it happen time after time after time. I've met and know closely a great many people with their own business that fooled themselves into thinking they could afford to anger a customer or potential customer and found out the hard way this isn't the way it works. That couple of grand or more that could have come from the OP just may have been the extra cash needed to make payroll in hard times or pay the tax bill or whatever.
No folks, a GOOD business owner will NEVER turn away business or create a situation that results in angry customers when that anger could have been turned around... apparently quite easily in this case.
Loretta from Ellenville N

New Paltz, NY

#14 Jan 4, 2012
If the glove was that expensive, maybe she should have left it in the car....u were there in Sept. no need for gloves.....Both of my sons' had weddings @ The Eagles Nest & Michael & his entire staff practically bent over backwards to accommodate our every request. You know the saying..."you can't please everyone" well apparently you just might be the type of ppl who are never happy, no matter what happens. Buy your wife a new pair of gloves & get on with it !!!
Not to Worry

Wappingers Falls, NY

#15 Jan 5, 2012
Now see... Loretta is one of those people that likes to bash without knowing the facts. The gloves were motorcycle gloves and considered safety equipment. The Eagle's Nest employee knew this and didn't seem to care. And yes, the trip to the Eagle's Nest that day was on motorcycles. I suppose the morons here bashing would also think if a helmet was lost it would be no big deal also. I'm also betting Loretta loves to get treated like crap when she goes into stores, or perhaps she's one of those that doesn't complain when her food is cold at a restaurant. Give me a break. Most of you people would be just as pissed in the same situation.
Happy bride

Modena, NY

#16 Feb 11, 2012
The eagles nest was the best ever !!! We had an amazing time !!!! My dream wedding ! We loved the staff :)!!! For all our events we will book here !!! Thank you for everything and making our magical time soooo special xoxo
Happy bride

Modena, NY

#17 Feb 11, 2012
You have to be kidding she probably left it in the car the glove ... Your Just agreeing trying to get something out of it ... If u agree with this over a glove I question how truthful of a business man u really are ..
Happy bride

Modena, NY

#18 Feb 11, 2012
You would try to ruin a persons business over ur wifes absent mindedness ... I question the person you truly are ,...
Happy bride

Modena, NY

#19 Feb 11, 2012
Your such a cheap bastard ... I would have laugh at you ,. They probably still talk about u and how pathetic you were over the glove HAhahah ... And laugh all the time ...
MK Joe

Wappingers Falls, NY

#20 Mar 1, 2012
"You have to be kidding she probably left it in the car the glove ... Your Just agreeing trying to get something out of it ... If u agree with this over a glove I question how truthful of a business man u really are .."

First of all Happy, you obviously can't read because the glove was a motorcycle glove and the OP and his wife were traveling on a motorcycle. Learn to read before you bash.

Second, what would I stand to gain? I'm not in the hospitality business (let me know if I have to explain to you what the hospitality business is). I don't know the OP. BUT, what I will say is that I do from time to time deal with the executive side of the hospitality business from time to time and I've never met one that would have let something like this get to the point it did.

I'm guessing you don't own or manage a business. In fact, it took you 4 posts to say what you had to say, so that in and of itself speaks volumes of your ability to gather thoughts. Hence another reason to disregard your comments as having validity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Restaurant Management Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bena s ChopHouse restaurant closing its doors a... May 15 Zod 1
Looking for general information about restauran... May 2 ronald one 1
News Slot-like machines spreading (Nov '09) Apr '18 Viktoria222 63
News Slot-like machines spreading | The Columbus Dis... (Nov '09) Apr '18 Viktoria222 3
News Man Who Claimed Condom in Iced Tea Sues (May '07) Apr '18 Teabaggin Z 16
News Oakville businesses recognized during awards ce... Mar '18 Meanwhile 1
News Restaurateur feels bite of economy (Aug '08) Mar '18 Deirdre 23