Shutdown would hurt Sacramento's reco...

Shutdown would hurt Sacramento's recovery but not kill it

There are 586 comments on the Sacramento Bee Newspaper story from Sep 30, 2013, titled Shutdown would hurt Sacramento's recovery but not kill it. In it, Sacramento Bee Newspaper reports that:

The looming federal government shutdown wouldn’t obliterate Sacramento’s economic recovery, but in a region with thousands of federal employees – and a business climate where consumer confidence is finally getting better – the shutdown surely wouldn’t help, business leaders in the region said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sacramento Bee Newspaper.

Tom Friedman

Roseville, CA

#23 Oct 5, 2013
This time is different. What is at stake in this government shutdown forced by a radical Tea Party minority is nothing less than the principle upon which our democracy is based: majority rule. President Obama must not give in to this hostage taking — not just because Obamacare is at stake, but because the future of how we govern ourselves is at stake.

What we’re seeing here is how three structural changes that have been building in American politics have now, together, reached a tipping point — creating a world in which a small minority in Congress can not only hold up their own party but the whole government. And this is the really scary part: The lawmakers doing this can do so with high confidence that they personally will not be politically punished, and may, in fact, be rewarded. When extremists feel that insulated from playing by the traditional rules of our system, if we do not defend those rules — namely majority rule and the fact that if you don’t like a policy passed by Congress, signed by the president and affirmed by the Supreme Court then you have to go out and win an election to overturn it; you can’t just put a fiscal gun to the country’s head — then our democracy is imperiled.

This danger was neatly captured by Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank, when he wrote on Tuesday about the 11th-hour debate in Congress to avert the shutdown. Noting a shameful statement by Speaker John Boehner, Milbank wrote:“Democrats howled about ‘extortion’ and ‘hostage taking,’ which Boehner seemed to confirm when he came to the floor and offered:‘All the Senate has to do is say ‘yes,’ and the government is funded tomorrow.’ It was the legislative equivalent of saying,‘Give me the money and nobody gets hurt.’”

“Give me the money and nobody gets hurt.” How did we get here? First, by taking gerrymandering to a new level. The political analyst Charlie Cook, writing in The National Journal on March 16, noted that 2010 election gave Republican state legislatures around the country unprecedented power to redraw political boundaries, which they used to create even more “safe, lily-white” Republican strongholds that are, in effect, an “alternative universe” to the country’s diverse reality.

“Between 2000 and 2010, the non-Hispanic white share of the population fell from 69 percent to 64 percent,” wrote Cook.“But after the post-census redistricting and the 2012 elections, the non-Hispanic white share of the average Republican House district jumped from 73 percent to 75 percent, and the average Democratic House district declined from 52 percent white to 51 percent white. In other words, while the country continues to grow more racially diverse, the average Republican district continues to get even whiter.”

According to Cook, the number of strongly Democratic districts decreased from 144 before redistricting to 136 afterward. The number of strongly Republican districts increased from 175 to 183.“When one party starts out with 47 more very strong districts than the other,” said Cook,“the numbers suggest that the fix is in for any election featuring a fairly neutral environment. Republicans would need to mess up pretty badly to lose their House majority in the near future.” In other words, there is little risk of political punishment for the Tea Party members now holding the country hostage.

Finally, the rise of a separate G.O.P.(and a liberal) media universe — from talk-radio hosts, to Web sites to Fox News — has created another gravity-free zone, where there is no punishment for extreme behavior, but there’s 1,000 lashes on Twitter if you deviate from the hard-line and great coverage to those who are most extreme. When politicians only operate inside these bubbles, they lose the habit of persuasion and opt only for coercion. After all, they must be right. Rush Limbaugh told them so.

President Obama is not defending health care. He’s defending the health of our democracy. Every American who cherishes that should stand with him.
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#24 Oct 5, 2013
Tom Friedman wrote:
“Between 2000 and 2010, the non-Hispanic white share of the population fell from 69 percent to 64 percent,” wrote Cook.“But after the post-census redistricting and the 2012 elections, the non-Hispanic white share of the average Republican House district jumped from 73 percent to 75 percent, and the average Democratic House district declined from 52 percent white to 51 percent white. In other words, while the country continues to grow more racially diverse, the average Republican district continues to get even whiter.”
1st of all, I doubt you are Thomas L Friedman writing for the New York Times posting from Elk Grove. I'm amazed that Friedman continues to have a column at the New York Times. His writing always reads like the gushing enthusiasms of a fourteen-year-old boy who believes he has just solved all the world's problems. 2nd, what does race have to do with anything besides proving why Obama loves the illegal for votes? By the way, isn't Obama more concerned about renaming the Redskins? And Obama builds a wall around the Vietnam memorial wall. Friedman's article was unsurprisingly, terrible. Friedman has been engaged in third-party wishcasting for at least five years now; Brendan Nyhan’s excellent, running blog post on third-party media hype records that back in the 2006 election cycle, Friedman longed for a “Geo-Green Party.” His “radical center” phase, though, seems to be inspired by the Tea Party era. Friedman has devoted columns to this mythical middle at least three times since spring 2010. They’re as predictable as the tides, or a hackneyed lede about a conversation with a taxi driver or tech entrepreneur.

Just as predictable is the subsequent savaging by writers who, having some insight into the workings of American politics, can explain not just why Friedman’s vision is impractical but also how it misunderstands the virtues of American democracy. If the columns have little intrinsic value, they serve as fodder for an entertaining, informative Internet competition, a sort of piñata that smart writers across the political spectrum bat about to demonstrate their blogging skills. Friedman has effectively endorsed the entirety of President Obama’s agenda, most of which has passed, can’t pass, or has to be severely watered down because of unprecedented Senate obstructionism. But instead of calling for reforming the legislative process, or calling on Republicans to start playing a constructive role in policymaking, or calling on voters to elect more candidates who agree with the agenda the columnist espouses, Friedman says what we really need is an amorphous third party that will think the way he does.

Take a look at the aerial views of Friedman's house. Makes Al Gore's "green anti-coal" McMansion look like a Tibetan monk's hut. Plus he doesn't live in Elk Grove.
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#25 Oct 5, 2013
Is Obama ever going to stop acting like a spoiled brat trying to get his way? Really is it childish of the republicans to seek real and responsible cut to the deficit? Hell no Mr. Liberal apologist...childish is obama whining everday "i dont wanna lose any of my spending"!!! "I dont care if we cant afford it" "I want to keep all my toys" " I want everyone to play by my rules".....,how much more brainwashed can you get if you cant see that.
BD Bister

Roseville, CA

#26 Oct 5, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>1st of all, I doubt you are Thomas L Friedman writing for the New York Times posting from Elk Grove. I'm amazed that Friedman continues to have a column at the New York Times. His writing always reads like the gushing enthusiasms of a fourteen-year-old boy who believes he has just solved all the world's problems. 2nd, what does race have to do with anything besides proving why Obama loves the illegal for votes? By the way, isn't Obama more concerned about renaming the Redskins? And Obama builds a wall around the Vietnam memorial wall. Friedman's article was unsurprisingly, terrible. Friedman has been engaged in third-party wishcasting for at least five years now; Brendan Nyhan’s excellent, running blog post on third-party media hype records that back in the 2006 election cycle, Friedman longed for a “Geo-Green Party.” His “radical center” phase, though, seems to be inspired by the Tea Party era. Friedman has devoted columns to this mythical middle at least three times since spring 2010. They’re as predictable as the tides, or a hackneyed lede about a conversation with a taxi driver or tech entrepreneur.
Just as predictable is the subsequent savaging by writers who, having some insight into the workings of American politics, can explain not just why Friedman’s vision is impractical but also how it misunderstands the virtues of American democracy. If the columns have little intrinsic value, they serve as fodder for an entertaining, informative Internet competition, a sort of piñata that smart writers across the political spectrum bat about to demonstrate their blogging skills. Friedman has effectively endorsed the entirety of President Obama’s agenda, most of which has passed, can’t pass, or has to be severely watered down because of unprecedented Senate obstructionism. But instead of calling for reforming the legislative process, or calling on Republicans to start playing a constructive role in policymaking, or calling on voters to elect more candidates who agree with the agenda the columnist espouses, Friedman says what we really need is an amorphous third party that will think the way he does.
Take a look at the aerial views of Friedman's house. Makes Al Gore's "green anti-coal" McMansion look like a Tibetan monk's hut. Plus he doesn't live in Elk Grove.
I can readily understand why a brain dead Tea Bagger like you would have no use for Pulitzer Prize (among many other journalistic awards) winner and well regarded New York Times columnist Tom Friedman. You'd rather watch "Crazy C**t Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann babbling incoherently on Fox News or listen to pus gutted, pig faced Rush Limbaugh as he lets loose with another big one on your face! I'm sure the rest of the journalistic and literary establishment will be distressed to know that in the delusional and bigoted mind of one Sacramento Tea Bagger Friedman's treatise was declared "unsurprisingly, terrible"! LOL I suspect most rational people (which obviously don't include you!) would consider it spot on! The truth does hurt though, doesn't it...especially when you are as f**ing stupid as you are!

P.S. "Aerial views of Friedman's house" huh? Now that's germane to the discussion at hand Bet they don't compare with the aerial views of Mitt Romney's 17 houses anyway! LOL
BD Bister

Roseville, CA

#27 Oct 5, 2013
Dan wrote:
Is Obama ever going to stop acting like a spoiled brat trying to get his way? Really is it childish of the republicans to seek real and responsible cut to the deficit? Hell no Mr. Liberal apologist...childish is obama whining everday "i dont wanna lose any of my spending"!!! "I dont care if we cant afford it" "I want to keep all my toys" " I want everyone to play by my rules".....,how much more brainwashed can you get if you cant see that.
Look who's talking about "spoiled brats"! A freaking Tea Bagger! The REAL spoiled brats are the right wing Republican nut jobs in Congress, the Tea Party caucus in particular, who are trying to destroy legislation that has been passed by both Houses of Congress, signed by the President and upheld by the Supreme Court! They are willing to let the whole country go down the tubes just to achieve their nonsensical goal. You can't get much more "spoiled brat"'isn than that! Like most spoiled brats they are finding out the hard way they can't have their way every time though. Unfortunately they are just taking the rest of their more responsible conservative and moderate Republican brethren down the toilet with them!

This has nothing to do with "responsible cuts to the deficit" which in Republican eyes means massive defense spending, massive decreases in social programs and making sure the fat cats get even fatter via massive tax cuts! The current shutdown only involves the totally unreasonable demands of the Republican majority in the House as dictated by the minority right wing (Tea Party) segment. Can't you stay on topic for 5 minutes?
BD Buster

Roseville, CA

#28 Oct 5, 2013
Folks just a reminder that "Dan" from Sacramento has made these insane statements right here in this thread:

"obama closed the MLK memorial in hopes that blacks across the nation would start a few race riots"
" Bama, the petulant child president, is at war with the American people."
" In Obama's mind, WWII vets are the enemy, and illegal aliens are the chosen people."

I don't know how he missed "Obama is a born in Kenya Muslim"! LOL

If that doesn't show you that "Dan"'s head is stuck so far up Rush Limbaugh's poop chute it's about to come out of the pus gutted, pig faced Limbaugh's mouth...well nothing will! Take his bigoted drivel with a grain of salt though!
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#30 Oct 6, 2013
Feds lock Normandy cemetery despite having $85 million on hand for monuments http://washingtonexaminer.com/.../article/253...
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#31 Oct 6, 2013
BD Bister wrote:
<quoted text>
I can readily understand why a brain dead Tea Bagger like you would have no use for Pulitzer Prize (among many other journalistic awards) winner and well regarded New York Times columnist Tom Friedman. You'd rather watch "Crazy C**t Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann babbling incoherently on Fox News or listen to pus gutted, pig faced Rush Limbaugh as he lets loose with another big one on your face! I'm sure the rest of the journalistic and literary establishment will be distressed to know that in the delusional and bigoted mind of one Sacramento Tea Bagger Friedman's treatise was declared "unsurprisingly, terrible"! LOL I suspect most rational people (which obviously don't include you!) would consider it spot on! The truth does hurt though, doesn't it...especially when you are as f**ing stupid as you are!
P.S. "Aerial views of Friedman's house" huh? Now that's germane to the discussion at hand Bet they don't compare with the aerial views of Mitt Romney's 17 houses anyway! LOL
I don't care if he won the Nobel prize or the cracker jack prize, that doesn't mean he's God. He won the prize for international reporting. Wow he didn't get killed in Lebanon. Let's reward him. LOL Now whatever he writes, it must be facts...LOL
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#32 Oct 6, 2013
Remember this about your writing hero: Friedman supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He's a war monger: In his September 29, 2005, column in The New York Times, Friedman entertained the idea of supporting the Kurds and Shias in a civil war against the Sunnis:"If they the Sunnis won't come around, we should arm the Shiites and Kurds and leave the Sunnis of Iraq to reap the wind.

LOL
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#33 Oct 6, 2013
Dan wrote:
Feds lock Normandy cemetery despite having $85 million on hand for monuments http://washingtonexaminer.com/.../article/253...
Big freaking deal! If the government is shut down, it's shutdown...which is just what you Tea Baggers wanted! The Normandy cemetery is hardly an essential service and will be just fine shutdown like our National Parks are until the Republicans come to their senses and stop the blackmail. You c***suckers could normally care less about the Normandy cemetery or veterans benefits or veterans except when trying to shift the blame for your own disastrous and disgraceful responsibility for shutting down the country in a last ditch attempt to destroy legitimate legislation!
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#34 Oct 6, 2013
Dan wrote:
Remember this about your writing hero: Friedman supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He's a war monger: In his September 29, 2005, column in The New York Times, Friedman entertained the idea of supporting the Kurds and Shias in a civil war against the Sunnis:"If they the Sunnis won't come around, we should arm the Shiites and Kurds and leave the Sunnis of Iraq to reap the wind.
LOL
Which only proves that Friedman can be wrong like almost all of Congress (with very few exceptions!) was in approving our ill fated invasion of Iraq under false pretenses by the Bush administration. The Bush administration shares the major part of the blame for the false information they put out regarding WMD's that didn't exist and they knew didn't exist. That takes nothing from Friedman's reputation as one of the most respected and award winning journalists in America. Yeah I know...he doesn't compare to those lunatics Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck!

The subject at hand here is still the shutdown and who is responsible for it and Friedman is absolutely right here even if a delusional Tea Bagger fool can't comprehend the simple facts and reason he puts forth.
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#35 Oct 6, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care if he won the Nobel prize or the cracker jack prize, that doesn't mean he's God. He won the prize for international reporting. Wow he didn't get killed in Lebanon. Let's reward him. LOL Now whatever he writes, it must be facts...LOL
Well compared to the BS you are personally siphoning out of Rush Limbaugh's poo chute and from the mouths of those blonde bimbos of Fox News....I think I'll go with Friedman thank you! LOL
Bubba

Roseville, CA

#36 Oct 6, 2013
Folks just a reminder that "Dan" from Sacramento has made these insane statements right here in this thread:

"obama closed the MLK memorial in hopes that blacks across the nation would start a few race riots"
" In Obama's mind, WWII vets are the enemy, and illegal aliens are the chosen people."

If that doesn't show you that "Dan"'s head is stuck so far up Rush Limbaugh's poop chute it's about to come out of the pus gutted, pig faced Limbaugh's mouth...well nothing will! Take his bigoted drivel with a grain of salt though!

Is "Dan" really "RiccardoFool" in drag? Just wondering! LOL
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#37 Oct 6, 2013
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—A package of immigration-related bills earned California Gov. Jerry Brown's signature Saturday, including a bill that prohibits local law enforcement agencies from detaining people for deportation if they are arrested for a minor crime and otherwise eligible to be released from custody.

but if I don't pay my $50 fine they will take my license and put me in jail.
if I renounce my citizenship maybe the democrats will care about my plight.....Once again this guy signs anything and everything! I bet he would sign his letter of resignation if we put it in front of him! LOL
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#38 Oct 6, 2013
BS Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
Well compared to the BS you are personally siphoning out of Rush Limbaugh's poo chute and from the mouths of those blonde bimbos of Fox News....I think I'll go with Friedman thank you! LOL
Friedman supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He's a war monger: In his September 29, 2005, column in The New York Times, Friedman entertained the idea of supporting the Kurds and Shias in a civil war against the Sunnis:"If they the Sunnis won't come around, we should arm the Shiites and Kurds and leave the Sunnis of Iraq to reap the wind.
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#39 Oct 6, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text> Friedman supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He's a war monger: In his September 29, 2005, column in The New York Times, Friedman entertained the idea of supporting the Kurds and Shias in a civil war against the Sunnis:"If they the Sunnis won't come around, we should arm the Shiites and Kurds and leave the Sunnis of Iraq to reap the wind. Hugs, Dan a.ka. RiccardoFool
Which only proves that Friedman can be wrong like almost all of Congress (with very few exceptions!) was in approving our ill fated invasion of Iraq under false pretenses by the Bush administration. The Bush administration shares the major part of the blame for the false information they put out regarding WMD's that didn't exist and they knew didn't exist. That takes nothing from Friedman's reputation as one of the most respected and award winning journalists in America. Yeah I know...he doesn't compare to those lunatics Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck!

The subject at hand here is still the shutdown and who is responsible for it and Friedman is absolutely right here even if a delusional Tea Bagger fool can't comprehend the simple facts and reason he puts forth.
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#40 Oct 6, 2013
Dan wrote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—A package of immigration-related bills earned California Gov. Jerry Brown's signature Saturday, including a bill that prohibits local law enforcement agencies from detaining people for deportation if they are arrested for a minor crime and otherwise eligible to be released from custody.
but if I don't pay my $50 fine they will take my license and put me in jail.
if I renounce my citizenship maybe the democrats will care about my plight.....Once again this guy signs anything and everything! I bet he would sign his letter of resignation if we put it in front of him! Hugs and kisses, Dan a.k.a. RiccardoFool LOL
What in the name of Sarah Palin has this got to do with the government shutdown?

I bet you would sign a love letter to Rush Limbaugh's rectal cavity if we put in in front of you!
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#41 Oct 6, 2013

Is "Dan" really "RiccardoFool" in drag? I think so! LOL
Dan

Elk Grove, CA

#42 Oct 6, 2013
Everyone knows the phrase "government shutdown" doesn't mean the entire U.S. government is shut down. So in a partial government shutdown, like the one underway at the moment, how much of the government is actually shut down, and how much is not? ONLY 17% is shut down.

If you listen to the Demon-crats they will tell you that it is the apocalypse.

Propaganda always works on O'Zombies

Obamacare is the apocalypse. That will forever change the role of the government over the governed. It will transform us from a nation of individual citizens to a nation of the masses.

The best thing we can do is keep the government shut for the next 3 years. Perhaps there will be a skeleton left that we can use to rebuild a nation...
BS Buster

Roseville, CA

#43 Oct 7, 2013
Dan wrote:
Everyone knows the phrase "government shutdown" doesn't mean the entire U.S. government is shut down. So in a partial government shutdown, like the one underway at the moment, how much of the government is actually shut down, and how much is not? ONLY 17% is shut down.
If you listen to the Demon-crats they will tell you that it is the apocalypse.
Propaganda always works on O'Zombies
Obamacare is the apocalypse. That will forever change the role of the government over the governed. It will transform us from a nation of individual citizens to a nation of the masses.
The best thing we can do is keep the government shut for the next 3 years. Perhaps there will be a skeleton left that we can use to rebuild a nation...
First this brain dead Tea Bagger Dan (formerly known as RiccardoFool) has his sissy panties in an uproar over the Normandy cemetery being temporarily shut down along with other national parks and monuments and now he says we ought to keep EVERYTHING shut down for the next 3 years. Guess it changes depending on the frequency of Rush Limbaugh's bowel movements and what the dingbat Sarah Palin is babbling about on Fox News at that particular minute!

Sounds like Obamacare is going to lead to the REAL apocalypse in the delusional and bigoted minds of these Tea Bagger CruzZombies! LOL

Folks just a reminder that "Dan" (formerly known as RiccardoFool) from Sacramento has made these insane statements right here in this thread:

Is "Dan" really Topix Troll "RiccardoFool" in drag? Well yeah! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Real Estate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Real estate agent finds 2 women, 63 cats inside... 7 hr Marco R s Secret ... 23
get your ex back witihn 48hrs contact prophet.b... (Sep '13) Jul 21 Ann 4
Need Real Sellers for JP54 and D2 (Sep '10) Jul 21 clarence crawford 123
News UPDATE 7-Trump employee apologizes for Melania ... Jul 21 Le Jimbo 2
News Writer at Trump Organization says she copied ph... Jul 20 Bama Yankee 1
buyer beware!!! (Jun '15) Jul 18 Brice 151
News Brooklyn-Queens Streetcar Will be Helmed By For... Jul 18 Danny D 1
More from around the web