Town demanding repair plan for Biller...

Town demanding repair plan for Billerica Mall

There are 131 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Mar 3, 2010, titled Town demanding repair plan for Billerica Mall. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Town officials met with management of the Billerica Mall yesterday in hopes of hammering out an agreement to repair the run-down building.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
enough is enough

Boston, MA

#1 Mar 3, 2010
come accomando those comments do nothing for the current condition of the mall.
Selectmen, TM DPH shut it down.
Pat

United States

#2 Mar 3, 2010
Mr. Curran, Ask your staff why this has been allowed to linger this long.
bigbanana

Lexington, MA

#3 Mar 3, 2010
here's the plan -- owner tear down mall build many apartments make sure they are 40b then the town cannot oopose it!
Jen

Lowell, MA

#4 Mar 3, 2010
The planning board should have allowed Home Depot to come in and clean up that dump of a mall, it is an eye sore!!! The people of Billerica should be ashamed of how long it has been left that way. Home Depot would have been a huge improvement!
citizen

Dracut, MA

#5 Mar 3, 2010
We've heard this story before, again they will let it go. Bob Accomando is as bad as the rest, a do nothing big mouth.
Pat

United States

#6 Mar 3, 2010
Jen wrote:
The planning board should have allowed Home Depot to come in and clean up that dump of a mall, it is an eye sore!!! The people of Billerica should be ashamed of how long it has been left that way. Home Depot would have been a huge improvement!
No the owners and the Town officials should be ashamed. Home Depot is not coming get over it.
bumpy

United States

#7 Mar 3, 2010
The building needs to be demolished.
Billerica Native

Stamford, CT

#8 Mar 3, 2010
That Mall is a wasteland, full of dirty rainwater and mold.
It should be torn-down!
It is a disgrace to Billerica.
marco

Waltham, MA

#9 Mar 3, 2010
this mall needs to be torn down it is in poor condition the town officials should all resign to allow a mall in this condition to exist
Saddened

Cambridge, MA

#10 Mar 3, 2010
The ONLY reason Home Depot isn't coming is because of the power of O'Connor Hardware.
Really

United States

#11 Mar 3, 2010
bigbanana wrote:
here's the plan -- owner tear down mall build many apartments make sure they are 40b then the town cannot oopose it!
Yes, who is going to invest in retail here in Billerica unless they are small retailers. New Hampshire is the place to go if you want to buy something big. That mixed use idea is probably good but if you tee off the property owner enough, 40B will be their most feasible option with an attitude that won't make for reasonable/successful negotiation.

Definitely time to get over HD. That was a stupid place for it anyway.
Jen

Lowell, MA

#12 Mar 3, 2010
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>
No the owners and the Town officials should be ashamed. Home Depot is not coming get over it.
Must be an O'Connor hardware advocate!!!
Local

Northborough, MA

#13 Mar 3, 2010
The mall management does not care about this property. I feel sorry for the businesses in the mall who have to deal with all of this.
MikeL

Billerica, MA

#14 Mar 3, 2010
enough is enough wrote:
come accomando those comments do nothing for the current condition of the mall.
Selectmen, TM DPH shut it down.
I think it does address the current condition of the mall: It should have been torn down, not being "repaired" now. These owners don't want to spend anything on this dump because they will get no return on their money. Don't expect more than some patching and new paint.
had a carney lately

Clinton, MA

#15 Mar 3, 2010
the mall is just really an indication of what the billerica native is really like...take a ride down pollard just before high street on the right you will see two dump trucks parked on the side of the road,these are dump trucks being stored on the road basically....nasty....or how about the whole stretch of 3a,i've never seen so much sand and litter and weeds,again it's an indication of the type of people that live there....they got to be slobs at the very core...wonder whats inside those houses,and what the natives live like....nice place there too like the cove,how long has that been vacant,or the iversen car dealership,which is now an illegal hot dog stand for some roach coach dealer....the broken sidewalks with big chunks of asphalt lying all around,or the conditions of most of the roadways....i remember when i was young there was a commercial where the indian sees all the litter floating in the river and he sheds a tear.....that's the way you feel like when you drive through lowell,lawrence,holyoke,spring field,and now sadly to say billerica...what can you say about a town that just does not care......at least the town should be grateful for all the carney's and gypsy's that populated that area during the 1920's...these were all people trying to better themselves and change,but the offspring could never adapt and now look at the place
citizen

Dracut, MA

#16 Mar 3, 2010
Jen wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be an O'Connor hardware advocate!!!
You write it like it's a bad thing. I love O'Connor hardware, put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Jen

Lowell, MA

#17 Mar 3, 2010
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You write it like it's a bad thing. I love O'Connor hardware, put that in your pipe and smoke it!
I am not against O'Connor Hardware or for Home Depot but Home Depot was the only one interested in trying to do something with the mall and they got shot down and by the looks of it no one else is interested in doing anything with it. The people of Billerica must like looking at the eye sore!! So you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
Mike L

Billerica, MA

#18 Mar 3, 2010
had a carney lately wrote:
the mall is just really an indication of what the billerica native is really like...take a ride down pollard just before high street on the right you will see two dump trucks parked on the side of the road,these are dump trucks being stored on the road basically....nasty....or how about the whole stretch of 3a,i've never seen so much sand and litter and weeds,again it's an indication of the type of people that live there....they got to be slobs at the very core...wonder whats inside those houses,and what the natives live like....nice place there too like the cove,how long has that been vacant,or the iversen car dealership,which is now an illegal hot dog stand for some roach coach dealer....the broken sidewalks with big chunks of asphalt lying all around,or the conditions of most of the roadways....i remember when i was young there was a commercial where the indian sees all the litter floating in the river and he sheds a tear.....that's the way you feel like when you drive through lowell,lawrence,holyoke,spring field,and now sadly to say billerica...what can you say about a town that just does not care......at least the town should be grateful for all the carney's and gypsy's that populated that area during the 1920's...these were all people trying to better themselves and change,but the offspring could never adapt and now look at the place
You are generalizing but you do have some points. If the majority of people outside of Billerica see the town like you do, then it is a valid impression. Residents who do care can deny it but they need to just look objectively. I drove down Alan road recently and any areas on the sides that had trees were filled with coffee cups, beer cans, snack wrappers, and hard liquer bottles. There is no way to blame this on out of towners. I am afraid that this was from a new generation of Billerica who are just like their parents. In that sense, the mall is alot like the residents (not all but most).
Pete

United States

#19 Mar 3, 2010
Mike L wrote:
<quoted text>
You are generalizing but you do have some points. If the majority of people outside of Billerica see the town like you do, then it is a valid impression. Residents who do care can deny it but they need to just look objectively. I drove down Alan road recently and any areas on the sides that had trees were filled with coffee cups, beer cans, snack wrappers, and hard liquer bottles. There is no way to blame this on out of towners. I am afraid that this was from a new generation of Billerica who are just like their parents. In that sense, the mall is alot like the residents (not all but most).
yes- this is the grim reality of Billerica. I grew up in the slums of Boston but don't remember it as being trashy as my middle class neighborhood in Billerica. I am not a Billerica "native" but I know one when I see one. Tough sh*t if you don;t like reading the scomments
Jeff Parenti

Billerica, MA

#20 Mar 3, 2010
Ahhhhh. Nothing beats a warm Billerica Mall debate on a cold winter day.

Here is a fact recap for 480 Boston Road:

1. Home Depot is ancient, ancient history
2. The parcel is 30 acres and zoned for "General Business." This allows for commercial use, but not residential.
3. General Business has a very high requirement for parking spaces per square foot.
4. The cheapest and fastest way for a developer to turn a profit is to max out the floor space with retail, which would be a 350 ksf mall with 1200 parking spaces. In a bad economy, no other options are feasible under current zoning, even a 40B.
5. Without a permit or a viable development option, the land holds very little value and would be extremely difficult to sell at a fair price in a buyer's market.
6. HD spent close to $1 million trying to secure a permit for a retail-only proposal in Billerica Center with no return on their investment, and other developers know it.

If we agree on the above, nothing positive will happen on this parcel unless we act. A zoning update would give developers dozens (hundreds?) of other development program options and an excellent chance that redevelopment would happen.

We all want the same thing -- an improvement of a blighted parcel. It's election season. Make this a campaign issue. Ask your favorite candidate for BOS and PB about what they intend to do about it.

Election day is April 10.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Real Estate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TREB letter blasts Ontario Real Estate Associat... May 13 is crash coming 1
News The Georgetown spring housing market is hot (Jun '14) May 13 is crash coming 14
News French Corner: Local Francophile community to r... (Jan '15) May 11 beware of Doug 16
News Oklahoma home listed for $1 draws multiple offers May 10 auctionedtractort... 1
News OKC company stages garage sale fundraiser May 7 Keller Williams a... 5
News Ex-Realtor charged with allegedly bilking clien... (Jun '09) May 5 Nate 37
News Judge: New York condo can vote to remove 'Trump... May 5 MR EDs SON in NJ 3