MIT turns to millennia-old tech for r...

MIT turns to millennia-old tech for renewable energy storage

There are 1 comment on the Curbed story from Sep 12, 2017, titled MIT turns to millennia-old tech for renewable energy storage. In it, Curbed reports that:

With renewable energy sources becoming more and more advanced, storing that energy means big business . While we've seen technological breakthroughs enabling everything from DIY powerpacks to batteries integrated into windmills , one team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is looking to old-school innovations for next-generation energy storage techniques.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Curbed.

Solarman

Dewey, AZ

#1 Sep 13, 2017
"Such a device would be immensely useful today, according to the MIT team, citing a high demand for industrial heat. The teamís Firebrick Resistance-heated Energy Storage (FIRES) system stores thermal energy (heat) in firebricks and later converts the energy back into electricity. Oh, and storing this energy costs 1/40th the price of putting it into batteries."

The cost of solar heat generation is more than solar PV farms, but when it comes down to getting rid of fueled electricity generation one now needs storage to make the alternative source of energy generation "act" like the fueled generation sources. Energy storage along the grid can then use the stored power to replace the fueled base-load and spinning load generation plants. Overall reduced costs with plants that don't have a commodity fuel to purchase and a storage medium that is for all intents and purposes, "dirt cheap".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Real Estate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Churchill-Brown adds 2 agents Sat niceneighborhoods 1
News Mustang Teacher Accused Of Stealing From Open H... Oct 17 just me 3
News RioCan unlikely to build mall in 401 Corridor (Jun '12) Oct 15 may happen here 5
Haunted House? (Aug '06) Oct 11 Lyra 176
Property taxes in Yellville Oct 11 Swimmer 1
News How to choose a real estate agent (Apr '15) Oct 9 flavius09 4
News Scott Wilson, 'In Cold Blood' and 'Walking Dead... Oct 8 Like I Am Not 1