Garden City residents to vote on St. ...

Garden City residents to vote on St. Paul's School

There are 26 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 2, 2008, titled Garden City residents to vote on St. Paul's School. In it, Newsday reports that:

Garden City residents will have the opportunity today to register their opinions on what should happen to the landmark St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yeah right

Port Washington, NY

#22 Jan 2, 2009
Swing the wrecking ball wrote:
Dead end Rockaway Ave. at the OCR/Herricks Rd intersection. It's what should have been done from day one...fifteen years ago. It's still not too late.
Yeah right, throw up a gated booth to let "the element" come to work and go home...

Since: Feb 09

Dumont, NJ

#23 Feb 1, 2009
Old Money wrote:
In the case of the Garden City schools, black and white testers went to schools asking for school registration papers, and the report cites an incident in which a black man was told he could not pick up forms for his own grandchildren, but a white tester was given forms for her ''cousins by marriage.''
The Garden City schools superintendent, Stephen Leitman, declined to comment on the report.
In the case of the village park, the report said that the Garden City police asked black preschool children to leave a park because they clearly were not Garden City residents, while white parkgoers were not even approached to determine their residency.''This incident is frighteningly reminiscent of the Jim Crow South,'' the report states.
RESONSE:---RESPONSE: I would like to let you know that the black children who were questioned about their residency frequently try to enter the park. i am a college student who grew up in Garden City. I used to attend Grove Park in the summers and witness the same kids trying to enter when they knew, just as everyone else around did, that they were just trying their luck again. I personally believe that everyone should be able to use the park regardless of residency. But i dont make the rules. I can honestly say that these children were not denied access because of their skin color. There were no assumptions made. There actually are children who are black, live in Garden City, and visit this park often. These two facts disprove your assumptions "Old Money." The park attendants do not assume anything. They ask for proof of residency for anyone entering the park. However you assumed otherwise, and damaged your own reputation in return. Silly right? Before you assume things like this you should make an effort to obtain the facts, and then draw your opinion.
On the other hand, i have no information regarding the GC school situation you mentioned. I would like to learn facts, from reliable sources, and then draw a conclusion if possible. Because that would be the fair way.
MissFrazer

Roanoke, VA

#24 Feb 9, 2010
I think that it is utterly ridiculous to not use this building for what it was intended: A SCHOOL. A place to EDUCATE and to have students LEARN TO THINK! That was the intention. I firmly believe that it should house students, perhaps serve as a consortium with other school districts, for more advanced learners. It is a beautiful building that CAN be used. For people NOT to find use for it is mind-boggling. For God's sake, they picked up a house and transported in the late 80s in Garden City---why not use a building that is already there?

As for the rest of you, I believe this forum was intended to discuss the fate of St. Paul's school, not to debate racism. Stay on topic so perhaps something PRODUCTIVE can come of this forum.
SP Alum

United States

#25 Sep 17, 2010
This is to Classof89. I matriculated and boarded at St. Paul's. I find it a laughable and rather absurd assertion that MT (the first black faculty member 84-90 that you mention) never experienced racism in Garden City, impossible to believe really. Not legally, but by default I was a resident of Garden City. For five days out of the week that is where I went to sleep and woke up, but as an African American, not because I wasn't a resident of GC, I was not welcome in the GC public library nor GC parks. White boarding students who were not residents of the village had no problems using these facilities. I remember very vividly being told that I was not welcome.
That being said, I made a lot of good friends who resided in Garden City, a lot of good friends. The town is not all bad, but Garden City is, beyond the shadow of any doubt, the most segregated municipality that I have encounted north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Steve

Lithuania

#26 Dec 5, 2010
Clearly you dont know your math, nor do you understand the English language as it appears to me the majority are in favor of saving the building. Clearly anyone who voted for the Avalon Bay plan wouldve voted to mouthball it as an alternative to destruction. At the very least, a new vote on the two options, demolish or mothball, should be carried out before knocking the place down. You may want to see the place destroyed but be honest with yourself, they couldve voted on 10 options to save the building and one option to destroy it, and the 10 options to save it couldve averaged 5.5% of the vote, would you still be claiming that the people have spoken to destroy the place? That seems ridiculous to have the vote fragmented by several options to save the place and claim victory for the one option to demolish it.
Swing the wrecking ball wrote:
The residents have voted. Take a bunch of photos and knock it down. It's a shame it's taken this long to bring this to a vote, albeit a non-binding vote. While it is beautiful, it has lived beyond its useful life...on life support. The land is a blessing and can be used and developed for the benefit of current residents.
To our esteemed School Trustees...consider a relocation of the High School to this location. Build a state of the art High School with bridge financing that can be retired or substantially reduced by sale of the existing HS footprint for residential development. Dead end Rockaway Ave. at the OCR/Herricks Rd intersection. It's what should have been done from day one...fifteen years ago. It's still not too late.
Casale

United States

#27 Nov 12, 2012
My new neighbor is black here in GC & I'm planning on selling my home. I hate minorities

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Real Estate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Real Estate Agents: Single-Family Homes a Hot R... (Jun '12) 13 min hassanh403 244
Need Real Sellers for JP54 and D2 (Sep '10) Sep 21 archworldenergy 124
1000 acres of land with Natural Spring Well N... Sep 20 Donald T 1
News Goodbye Vancouver: Foreign buyers now flooding ... Sep 16 sinking 8
News Tips for first-time homebuyers (Jul '13) Sep 16 Scott Mcdaniels 5
buyer beware!!! (Jun '15) Sep 10 Guest 155
Hi Sep 8 Patrick 1
More from around the web