Real estate agent Marshall Redder, facing criminal charges for housing violations, commits suicide

Apr 13, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MLive.com

A well-known West Michigan real estate agent recently charged with two misdemeanors for housing-related crimes has committed suicide.

Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Nov 27, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1 Apr 13, 2011
Good Day,

Whoa... But over misdemeanor counts? Sounds fishy...

Steelie
Sassy

Flushing, MI

#2 Apr 13, 2011
Thats what we thought, more investigations, I would think, were in store for him.
Steelie wrote:
Good Day,
Whoa... But over misdemeanor counts? Sounds fishy...
Steelie

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#3 Apr 13, 2011
Hey Steelie...

This was just posted today..

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/162283/14/...

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 13, 2011
neecer wrote:
Hey Steelie...
This was just posted today..
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/162283/14/...
Good Day,

Thanks Neecer! I have been so busy lately I have not had the time to keep up on everything as I normally would... No offense to him or his family, but I think there will be more that comes out in the coming months... sad.

Steelie

“Lost my mind”

be back later

#5 Apr 13, 2011
Steelie wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Day,
Thanks Neecer! I have been so busy lately I have not had the time to keep up on everything as I normally would... No offense to him or his family, but I think there will be more that comes out in the coming months... sad.
Steelie
I think he was charged more for what he was doing behind the scenes. Over the past few months there have been reports that he's been renting out houses instead of selling them, until the owners go into foreclosure and he pockets the rent money.

No disrespect either, but Marshall Redder has been the real estate agent to stay away from for as long as I can remember.

“Be Respectful”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids

#7 Apr 14, 2011
It's a sad thought that a person would get themselves into such a mess that they feel the only way out is suicide.

“Lost my mind”

be back later

#8 Apr 14, 2011
Gail in Wyoming wrote:
It's a sad thought that a person would get themselves into such a mess that they feel the only way out is suicide.
What's sad is all the unanswered questions his family is now left with. The first and foremost, why.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#9 Apr 14, 2011
neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
What's sad is all the unanswered questions his family is now left with. The first and foremost, why.
greed

“Dude, Where's my car?”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10 Apr 14, 2011
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
greed
And possibly the humiliation of finally getting caught. Same thing as happened with that guy who owned Cybernet. In both cases now their spouses and children are left to clean up the mess, Emotional, Legal and Financial.
Mark

Rockford, MI

#11 Apr 14, 2011
Sometimes these people do it because they are about to lose everything and in their head it makes more sense to leave their families with insurance money than nothing. Doesn't necessarily have to do with anything criminal. With the real estate bubble bursting he could have just been quickly losing everything.

If it were to be criminal at some point, he like the CEO of Enron, may have just insulated his wealth for his family

Since: Oct 07

Cloud Nine

#12 Apr 14, 2011
The innocent don't go off to a warehouse and commit suicide. This man was scam artist and took advantage of people. Now he has left his family to wonder why? What coward.

“You're gonna make it after all”

Since: May 09

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Apr 14, 2011
In all of these instances, there is always a lesson in 'balance'.

Years ago I read an article that explained how people commit suicide OR even worse, go on the rampages killing others - like the post office killings. What they discovered is that in many instances, it was that the individual usually had viewed a recent 'problem' as an attack on their 'life' and or 'livelihood'. Often they could not differenciate between the two events. For instance when a spouse left and the other either killed the other or committed suicide, they saw the 'leaving' as a 'threat on their life', rather than just a relationship ending. It was found that they didn't have a proper 'balance' or support network of other parts of their lives, albeit, friends, family, church, social groups to cope with the event.

In the case like Redder, it's obvious he defined himself by his Real Estate Career and poured everything he had into it. It sounds like he worked a lot of hours. Somebody wrote that he owned 250 homes debt free. There is obviously so much more to this story.
Mark

Rockford, MI

#14 Apr 14, 2011
EmmaRae wrote:
The innocent don't go off to a warehouse and commit suicide. This man was scam artist and took advantage of people. Now he has left his family to wonder why? What coward.
I'm sure innocent commit suicide everyday.
http://www.google.com/search...
Realtor

United States

#15 Apr 14, 2011
This bastrd still owes me $17,340.47 from over 2 years ago as a share of commission on two home sales. He was kicked out of the national Realtor association last year for his fraudulent business practices and could no longer display the Realtor symbol or represent himself as a Realtor. He draped himself in Christianity at Resurrection life in Grandville where i'm sure they'll have a huge service and tell everyone what a great Christian businessman he was. Redder was West Michigans Bernie Maddoff of real estate.

“Is it really that interesting?”

Since: Dec 09

Hamilton

#16 Apr 14, 2011
Enjoy hell you coward POS
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#17 Apr 14, 2011
Mark wrote:
Sometimes these people do it because they are about to lose everything and in their head it makes more sense to leave their families with insurance money than nothing. Doesn't necessarily have to do with anything criminal. With the real estate bubble bursting he could have just been quickly losing everything.
If it were to be criminal at some point, he like the CEO of Enron, may have just insulated his wealth for his family
I doubt there is any insurance money. I don't know of any life insurance policies that will pay after a suicide...unless maybe he had a suicide rider...if there is such a thing.

The charges he faced were just the tip of the iceberg. He knew the jig was up and in his mind he thought this way out was easier than facing the music. Now he's selfishly left his family with a huge financial mess to clean up.
Mark

Rockford, MI

#18 Apr 14, 2011
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt there is any insurance money. I don't know of any life insurance policies that will pay after a suicide...unless maybe he had a suicide rider...if there is such a thing.
The charges he faced were just the tip of the iceberg. He knew the jig was up and in his mind he thought this way out was easier than facing the music. Now he's selfishly left his family with a huge financial mess to clean up.
Almost all life insurance policies pay for suicide if you've held the policy for over two years.
Old Rocker

Hudsonville, MI

#19 Apr 14, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>Almost all life insurance policies pay for suicide if you've held the policy for over two years.
Is that right. Who would have thought. I guess me not being an insurance man I am ignorant on that subject.

Since: Mar 09

Grandville, MI

#20 Apr 14, 2011
I was kind of shocked this morning when I heard about it.
I didnt know him very well, but went to school with him, and had some of the same classes as Marty.
I dont really know much about what he's been doing all these years, but it was kind of a shock to hear that one of your classmates from many years ago did that.
RIP Marty, and God bless those of your family that are left behind.
SeenItBefore

Jenison, MI

#21 Apr 14, 2011
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Most every life insurance policy I have ever known about had a time limit rider. Usually 2 years.
It's to keep people from buying a policy just before the commit suicide.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Real Estate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cartus lays off workers (Sep '08) 1 hr 6uu6com 947
Fort Bragg Area Neighborhoods New Listings! 1 hr 6uu6com 2
Add new comment (Feb '09) 1 hr 6uu6com 280
Real Estate Agents: Single-Family Homes a Hot R... (Jun '12) 13 hr David Bade 65
Its The Four For Friday Wilmington Neighborhoo... 18 hr deswhalen 1
New Listings in Raeford NC Neighborhoods! Thu Team Elite 1
Interesting article for first time home buyers ... Thu Zumption 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Real Estate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••