Florida East Coast Railway whistles n...

Florida East Coast Railway whistles new tune: Passenger trains ...

There are 42 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 4, 2009, titled Florida East Coast Railway whistles new tune: Passenger trains .... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

For the first time in 40 years, plans to return passenger trains to the Florida East Coast Railway are gaining serious steam.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
tim

Spartanburg, SC

#1 Feb 5, 2009
I sure hope this works out. I love taking the train and leaving the car at home and Tri-Rail is a pleasant experience if it's on time. the FEC tracks would be so much more convenient for so many people.
Walter

United States

#3 Feb 5, 2009
FEC tracks would be much more convenient to riders but there isn't a need for duplication. It only makes sense if the current Tri-Rail service would stop. Because there is no need for two lines running a mile apart.
David

Stuart, FL

#4 Feb 5, 2009
I liked riding the trains in Japan when I lived there and wish we had a decent train system here.
Henry Flagler

New Milford, CT

#5 Feb 5, 2009
We could run the line all the way to Key West!
Henrys Banker

Miami, FL

#6 Feb 5, 2009
Bullet Train.
They are easy to sell...
Gus the Gastropod

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 5, 2009
This is a no-brainer. Git 'er done! Also get going on east-west light rail in both Miami-Dade and Broward.
Lyle Landly

Boynton Beach, FL

#8 Feb 5, 2009
I think we need a Monorail like they have in Sprinfield. It would really put up on the map:

Dan Glickman

Hollywood, FL

#9 Feb 5, 2009
The article reports that "State officials also want to pinpoint the project's construction cost, likely to range from $4.5 billion to $6 billion." Is this the total cost of the project including, for example, right-of-way acquisition?

Not to quibble but .... Mr. Seeburger, elsewhere quoted in the article, has publicly stated that the potential figure is "6 to 10 billion (dollars)."

This current phase (II) of the study costs 20 million dollars.

This project, which I refer to as Tri-Rail East, is a "no brainer" for all those eastern residents along the east coast, especially for those east of Tri-Rail. However, for those in central and, especially, western Broward, it's not so wonderful because its cost would starve the other very important and necessary east-west potential projects which are currently very much needed but don't yet exist.

And, of course, the most heavily traveled transit route in Broward County is the SR7/US441 north/south route. Where's the money going to come from for a substantially better route (let's call it, as another has, Tri-Rail West) when it's all sucked up by operating not only Tri-Rail but, in addition, Tri-Rail East?
Sam Yosemite

Studio City, CA

#11 Feb 5, 2009
Use the money earmarked for airport expansion i.e. FLL.
Sean T Wright

Pembroke Pines, FL

#12 Feb 5, 2009
Dan Glickman wrote:
The article reports that "State officials also want to pinpoint the project's construction cost, likely to range from $4.5 billion to $6 billion." Is this the total cost of the project including, for example, right-of-way acquisition?
Not to quibble but .... Mr. Seeburger, elsewhere quoted in the article, has publicly stated that the potential figure is "6 to 10 billion (dollars)."
This current phase (II) of the study costs 20 million dollars.
This project, which I refer to as Tri-Rail East, is a "no brainer" for all those eastern residents along the east coast, especially for those east of Tri-Rail. However, for those in central and, especially, western Broward, it's not so wonderful because its cost would starve the other very important and necessary east-west potential projects which are currently very much needed but don't yet exist.
And, of course, the most heavily traveled transit route in Broward County is the SR7/US441 north/south route. Where's the money going to come from for a substantially better route (let's call it, as another has, Tri-Rail West) when it's all sucked up by operating not only Tri-Rail but, in addition, Tri-Rail East?
Morning Dan, Have not seen you posting in a while. Glad to see you here today. Interesting events huh? Make sure you read what I am about to post.

“DADDY'S HOME”

Since: Oct 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Feb 5, 2009
they should run a west/east commute system.

i live in western broward and this doesnt affect me one bit

so what, theyre using tracks 2 miles east yet forgetting people that live anywhere west of the current tri rail tracks!?

if they put this to vote it will fail due to people like me who this does NOT benefit.

run an east/west along 595 and also from brandsamart in deerfield all the way west on sawgrass and all the way down i75 to the turnpike or even farther.

it would be nice to take the tri rail to homestead if need me.

i too lived in cutler bay and once you go south of kendall = the mass transit = horrible.
lab-rat

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Feb 5, 2009
The only way this would affect my life would be to cost me money.
ol glory

Miami, FL

#15 Feb 5, 2009
lab-rat wrote:
The only way this would affect my life would be to cost me money.
You and the other 90% of the population here.
normal

Day, FL

#16 Feb 5, 2009
The HORNS! please figure a safe way to stop the sleep disturbing horns!
Sean T Wright

Pembroke Pines, FL

#17 Feb 5, 2009
Dan Glickman, Citizen's for Improved Transit Founder Tomas Boiton, & myself, have all been in the fight for this.

It is common sense, that for many years now has been talked about by many. Former Delray Beach Mayor, Jeff Perlman & now county commissioner candidate Steve Abrams have wanted to see this happen by my count, some 6 years.
Many areas benefit right away from already built in Transit Oriented Development, like Downtown Delray Beach as example - The Altman Corp.'s Astor Building, CityWalk's Building, the new building being build south on Atlantic Ave. Boca's Mizner Park, then every retailer on Dixie Hwy, just south of Glades. Transit Orient Development has been built in these areas for years that now have a chance to be used & displayed as smart growth, both from a residental side & commercial side.

Today in our state capital all the heads of the people in this fight are going to bat for every citizen of Florida. Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, South Florida are coming together to make these things happen for all. The funding source which is the $2 Rental Car Fee has to happen to achieve this for all our regions, not just rail, but busing to so it will work well with rail. One person with her group stands in the way, State Senator Dockery.
Not Again

Hollywood, FL

#18 Feb 5, 2009
Walter wrote:
FEC tracks would be much more convenient to riders but there isn't a need for duplication. It only makes sense if the current Tri-Rail service would stop. Because there is no need for two lines running a mile apart.
Maybe you should try walking from Jupiter to Mangona Park, just to get on a passenger train.
Not Again

Hollywood, FL

#19 Feb 5, 2009
Walter wrote:
FEC tracks would be much more convenient to riders but there isn't a need for duplication. It only makes sense if the current Tri-Rail service would stop. Because there is no need for two lines running a mile apart.
Sorry Walter, I was trying to make a point, but I didn't quite comprehend your comment. I agree with you.
Sean T Wright

Pembroke Pines, FL

#20 Feb 5, 2009
Daddy Warbucks wrote:
they should run a west/east commute system.
i live in western broward and this doesnt affect me one bit
so what, theyre using tracks 2 miles east yet forgetting people that live anywhere west of the current tri rail tracks!?
if they put this to vote it will fail due to people like me who this does NOT benefit.
run an east/west along 595 and also from brandsamart in deerfield all the way west on sawgrass and all the way down i75 to the turnpike or even farther.
it would be nice to take the tri rail to homestead if need me.
i too lived in cutler bay and once you go south of kendall = the mass transit = horrible.
I hear this a lot & you are right. It will happen if the resources are there. The long range planning calls for it. Without the resources forget it. Then plan on one day being upset about the transportation issues we will have because of not taking steps about it now!
Oh Brother

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Feb 5, 2009
Walter wrote:
FEC tracks would be much more convenient to riders but there isn't a need for duplication. It only makes sense if the current Tri-Rail service would stop. Because there is no need for two lines running a mile apart.
I disagree and agree with you. I think they should move the tri rail line WEST. Maybe along 75 or something. Space them out. You have tones of people who live out west who need to go south. Then have light or heavy inter modal trains pick up passengers to move them east to west (example, tri rail to metro rail or even BRT service). But that would be asking politicians in South Florida to turn their brains on and actually THINK. Something that isn't very popular down here.
JJJ

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#23 Feb 5, 2009
I'de love to see a train to Disney from South Fla. I would be there 10x more often.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Railroads Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Driver missing after truck hits train in Wash. (Jan '10) Sat Suezanne 25
News Michael Ward's planned retirement from CSX in 2... Feb 21 Liteone 1
News Restored, 2.56-mile railway for commerce off to... Jan '17 Liteone 1
News Gordon Pape: A railway stock that's steaming ahead Jan '17 Liteone 1
News Ford Decision Cements Mexico as 'Front Line' fo... Jan '17 tomin cali 1
News Officials: Passenger hit train's emergency stop... Dec '16 Knock off purse s... 10
News Canadian National suspends former CEO Hunter Ha... (Jan '12) Oct '16 Anonamous 8
More from around the web