Republicans use Gates' new book to hammer Clinton, Biden

Jan 7, 2014 Full story: CNN 299

Republicans quickly pounced on some controversial details from former Defense Secretary Bob Gates' new book in which he highlights an admission from former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that he found "dismaying" and fiercely lambasts Vice President Joe Biden.

Read more

Since: Oct 12

Albany, GA

#154 Jan 10, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>Wasn't it one of the good ole Georgia Representatives in Congress who displayed the wife beater mentality in admonishing that women had the ability to shut down their reproductive systems when raped?

You'd have to assume he had plenty of research to take such a strong stance on the issue.
And his name???
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#155 Jan 10, 2014
There you go again wrote:
<quoted text>
And his name???
Who could forget such ignorant nonsense?

Representative Todd Akin, Republican of Missouri, commented on KTVI-TV in St. Louis:“It seems to be, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, it’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.”

Ta-da!

Since: Sep 08

Viva Madeira

#156 Jan 10, 2014
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
Any war is winnable if you have the WILL to fight. We use to demonize our enemy, now we want to know why they hate us and bend over backwards to appease them. It is up to the WILL of the people and the politicians that make the policies to do what needs to be done. This shows the lack of WILL we have as a nation to do what is right. The greatest generation is rolling over in their graves seeing what we have become. It is sad! When they attack us again on the homeland, we will see the same people calling for blood, but losing that WILL to fight at the sight if it. We may be coming home, but this war isn't over.
You’re right---the “will” of the people in this country is to leave Afghanistan. No more blood, no more money wasted on an impossible situation. Anyway, you know as well as I do that the US signed a partnership agreement with Afghanistan that guarantees a partnership until 2024-----we will still have troops there, in a supportive role, for at least another decade.

The “greatest” generation fought a conventional war unlike what has taken place in Afghanistan. There, we are fighting an insurgency where there is no government to topple, no army to defeat, no invasion plans to implement. What the US does have is a counterinsurgency campaign—supporting the government (propping it up), protecting the populace, training their army and police force, paving roads, building hospitals and schools, even paying insurgents to lay down their weapons. Does this look anything like the war that was fought during WWII?? Absolutely not.

Since: Oct 12

Albany, GA

#157 Jan 10, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>Who could forget such ignorant nonsense?

Representative Todd Akin, Republican of Missouri, commented on KTVI-TV in St. Louis:“It seems to be, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, it’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down.”

Ta-da!
??? What has that got to do with ga

“Je suis Charlie”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#158 Jan 10, 2014
Marichu wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re right---the “will” of the people in this country is to leave Afghanistan. No more blood, no more money wasted on an impossible situation. Anyway, you know as well as I do that the US signed a partnership agreement with Afghanistan that guarantees a partnership until 2024-----we will still have troops there, in a supportive role, for at least another decade.
The “greatest” generation fought a conventional war unlike what has taken place in Afghanistan. There, we are fighting an insurgency where there is no government to topple, no army to defeat, no invasion plans to implement. What the US does have is a counterinsurgency campaign—supporting the government (propping it up), protecting the populace, training their army and police force, paving roads, building hospitals and schools, even paying insurgents to lay down their weapons. Does this look anything like the war that was fought during WWII?? Absolutely not.
The Japanese and Germans were just as idealist as Islam but they had there will broken. We have yet to do that with radicalized Islam. Same war,different tactic who's will is going to be broken first, it looks a lot like ours! Quitting isn't winning and this war is far from over!

“Je suis Charlie”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#159 Jan 10, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Karzi was a crook all through the Bush Administration, there's no reason why Bush put Karzi in Kabul other than they could control him. Bush found is own kind to deal with. Karzi is enriching himself on the ransom money the United States has been paying him for his obedience. Karzi could never be trusted and Obama was smart not to put much stock in a drug addict.
Karzi knows once he's out of office in April and, or American troops are withdrawn his days in Afghanistan peddling dope to international smugglers is over. If he doesn't fall inline now he's a dead man. Karzi is playing ball with the Taliban and Al Qaeda or his other option is to take the money American gave him and set up a life in exile.
You're an idiot if you don't think Al Qaeda and the Taliban are going to shave Karzi if he doesn't play ball with them now. Stop being so gullible.
What constitutes winning in Afghanistan for America? Obama achieved what America went into Afghanistan and Iraq to achieve, and that's to bring back the head of Osama Bin Laden.
Afghanistan and Iraq are just bonuses now for the American War Profiteers.
Karzi has to live there after we leave, THAT is the huge difference! We can jump on planes and go home. All of this sh*t started when Obama ,like a dumb*ss, gave a pullout date. It shows he wanted to QUIT the war and not WIN the war!

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#160 Jan 10, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
So Muslim men in the middle east are a lot like Catholic Priest and Southern Males in wife beaters?
<quoted text>
Yes.

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#161 Jan 10, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Karzi is reversing everything America did in Afghanistan, he's opened the prisons and released Taliban and Al Qaeda members that were locked up by Americans. They don't want Americans there, and it can be no clearer.
We went into Iraq and Afghanistan to hunt down Osama Bin Laden, not to impose our beliefs and values on a distant culture.And to get into Iraq, Bush and his cronies flat out lied
What other than bringing Bin Laden's head back on a stick constitutes a Victory for our Troops in Afghanistan or Iraq since you believe we should be there ?
Better Al Qaeda takes over or settle down in Afghanistan and Iraq than Cincinnati .
We went to Iraq and Afghanistan to spread Democracy.

barock turned Bush's arab spring to winter.

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#162 Jan 10, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Germany, Japan nor was Korea Tribal societies........ Some of you people don't have a clue about the world around you.........
This is a result of lazy mindless people depending on the asinine assumptions of morons with a media platform.
You want to talk about the middle east it would pay for you to research on the internet the region and it's history to gain some insight on back ground before sounding like a fool repeating things you've heard on cable stooge outlets.
You're an idiot. Thanks for showing your true faith in human beings, or lack thereof.

Math and medicine were invented in that part of the world. So was society for that matter. You ever hear of Mesopotamia?

Korea was a near-tribal society after WW2. Japan used it as a slave farm.

Appeasing surrendercrats have always been the pawns of totalitarian dictators.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24379018
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#163 Jan 10, 2014
There you go again wrote:
<quoted text>
??? What has that got to do with ga
Nothing really. It is just a detailed answer to the question ("And his name???") you asked.

Since: Oct 12

Ashburn, GA

#164 Jan 10, 2014
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing really. It is just a detailed answer to the question ("And his name???") you asked.
are you stupid

Since: Sep 08

Viva Madeira

#165 Jan 11, 2014
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
The Japanese and Germans were just as idealist as Islam but they had there will broken. We have yet to do that with radicalized Islam. Same war,different tactic who's will is going to be broken first, it looks a lot like ours! Quitting isn't winning and this war is far from over!
I don’t see it as quitting like you do. The objective was met, getting OBL.

Military action, by itself, could never defeat an ideology like radical Islamism. Extreme ideologies have prospered because of their own ability to adapt and survive.

The Islamist insurgency in Russia's troubled North Caucasus regions has proven to be remarkably resilient. This state of affairs persists despite the overwhelming military force over the last two decades by the Russian government. They are not as considerate as we are over civil rights, so you can imagine how hard they’ve come down on any and all they consider suspect. Russia, like the US, needs a more sophisticated, multifaceted alternative counterterrorism policy.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#166 Jan 11, 2014
There you go again wrote:
<quoted text>
??? What has that got to do with ga
Georgia, Missouri there's not a lot of difference in political ideology, customs and repressive history. Both southern states are havens for repressing and beating women as if they're live stock or personal processions. The southerns have a reputation for being as brutal to their women as militant Muslim men in the middle east.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#167 Jan 11, 2014
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
Karzi has to live there after we leave, THAT is the huge difference! We can jump on planes and go home. All of this sh*t started when Obama ,like a dumb*ss, gave a pullout date. It shows he wanted to QUIT the war and not WIN the war!
You're forgetting Obama ran a presidential campaign with one of his tenants being getting American troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

America should have been pulling out the day after we killed Osama Bin Laden, our mission was accomplished then and there. That was the victory we were looking for the victory that Bush and the Republicans could not provide.

To be in Afghanistan now is due to Obama appeasing the Republican war profiteer bidders in Congress

Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#168 Jan 11, 2014
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
We went to Iraq and Afghanistan to spread Democracy.
barock turned Bush's arab spring to winter.
We went to Iraq to secure oil field contracts for those outfits that supported George Bush's presidential campaign.

American conservatives have never been interested in spreading democracy, they're trying here in America to restrict democracy, freedom and equal access.

One look at the alliances with brutal dictators the world over demonstrates the interest of American Conservatives. They're a what's in it for me diplomacy. They could care less about human rights and democracy in foreign lands.

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#169 Jan 11, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
You're forgetting Obama ran a presidential campaign with one of his tenants being getting American troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
America should have been pulling out the day after we killed Osama Bin Laden, our mission was accomplished then and there. That was the victory we were looking for the victory that Bush and the Republicans could not provide.
To be in Afghanistan now is due to Obama appeasing the Republican war profiteer bidders in Congress
barock didn't campaign on surrender. He said he'd defeat al qaeda. They are stronger than ever.

Since: Mar 10

Huntington, NY

#170 Jan 11, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
We went to Iraq to secure oil field contracts for those outfits that supported George Bush's presidential campaign.
American conservatives have never been interested in spreading democracy, they're trying here in America to restrict democracy, freedom and equal access.
One look at the alliances with brutal dictators the world over demonstrates the interest of American Conservatives. They're a what's in it for me diplomacy. They could care less about human rights and democracy in foreign lands.
All lies.

Neo-Conservatives are compassionate. They believe free people don't war on each other.

barock turned arab spring to winter by golfing from behind.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#171 Jan 11, 2014
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Georgia, Missouri there's not a lot of difference in political ideology, customs and repressive history. Both southern states are havens for repressing and beating women as if they're live stock or personal processions. The southerns have a reputation for being as brutal to their women as militant Muslim men in the middle east.
whats the first thing a woman should do, when she gets home from the battered womens shelter?

answer....the dishes, if she knows whats good for her

“Je suis Charlie”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#172 Jan 11, 2014
Marichu wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t see it as quitting like you do. The objective was met, getting OBL.
Military action, by itself, could never defeat an ideology like radical Islamism. Extreme ideologies have prospered because of their own ability to adapt and survive.
The Islamist insurgency in Russia's troubled North Caucasus regions has proven to be remarkably resilient. This state of affairs persists despite the overwhelming military force over the last two decades by the Russian government. They are not as considerate as we are over civil rights, so you can imagine how hard they’ve come down on any and all they consider suspect. Russia, like the US, needs a more sophisticated, multifaceted alternative counterterrorism policy.
You may not see it as quitting, but believe me, our enemy does! We are fighting people that only understands victory and death. Anything short of death is victory to them. Be as "sophisticated" as you want but we are being defeated by people that are living in the 7th century, and quitting the war will only embolden them!
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#173 Jan 11, 2014
There you go again wrote:
<quoted text>
yea they have ideas of taking the money from the working class and give it to the low life's!!!
False of course; in fact it's the far Right which takes money from the lower and middle classes and moves it upward to the rich and big corporations.

You lie a lot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Publishing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bergdahl trade criticism to top Sunday talk sho... (Jun '14) 1 hr Le Jimbo 241
News Lincoln County Commission, DA clash over office... 19 hr Mr T 2
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) Fri GinaLover 776
News Obama: Bergdahl 'was never forgotten' (May '14) Fri ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 103
News NYT Reporter: Quoting Global Warming Skeptics P... Fri Butters 10
News US lauds improving Pak-Afghan ties Mar 22 USA Today 1
News Five things that would probably happen if Donal... Mar 21 Just Say No 1
More from around the web